Whooooot!!! Got a site for August!

General discussions specific to Rollins Pond, neighbouring campground to Fish Creek. Ask a question, share your experiences at Rollins or make suggestions to others.
luvmycampers96
Your Real Name (optional): Lori C

Whooooot!!! Got a site for August!

Postby luvmycampers96 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 pm

I was able to reserve a site for my hubby and sons for August!!!!!!
In the area we want, so I am a happy :tent2:

(no pun intended)!

Jiggity jig!

Sorry, had to shout from the rooftops!
OhioSmiths
Your Real Name (optional): Cheryl

Re: Whooooot!!! Got a site for August!

Postby OhioSmiths » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:10 pm

Was just wondering how you got a site for August when you posted this in July? I thought it had to be 9 months out. Please enlighten me. Thanks
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Probably a July 29th start with most days in August?

We are going to be trying for a site mid August (ie Nov 15thish) at Rollins. Hope its easier then Fish Creek!
OhioSmiths
Your Real Name (optional): Cheryl

Postby OhioSmiths » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:22 pm

CampADK wrote:Probably a July 29th start with most days in August?

We are going to be trying for a site mid August (ie Nov 15thish) at Rollins. Hope its easier then Fish Creek!

Hi Dave, Maybe I am just not understanding this. Luvmycampers96 post was dated July 29, 2013. Isn't that the date of the original post? If so, if they booked on July 29, how can they reserve a site for the next month? You said yourself, you want a site at Rollins in mid-August but you will wait until mid-November to book it. I am just confused and am wondering if there is special way some people don't have to wait at least 9 months before the dates they want to book them.
I love your site but this is the first time I am posting. We have been going to Rollins Pond almost every year for over 40 years. In some respects it was easier to get a site when you had to line up in front of the gates and sleep in your car or camper to get a site the next morning! I appreciate all of your hard work!
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 pm

No one can book more than 9 months out. I understood luvmycampers96 post to mean that they book there August vacation Oct 29th for a reservation starting July 29. But if they are their for 2 weeks, then I understand calling it their August vacation. I would too.

I agree it would have been easier way back when lining up for a site. All sites would end up being occupied. Much different than today when usually 20% of sites are vacant in prime time. Also Fish Creek families have grown considerably over so many decades, so now there is more competition for sites.

Regardless everyone has the same opportunity to book sites at 9:00:00am exactly 9 months out, and not a second before.
PS600REVX
Your Real Name (optional): Paul

Postby PS600REVX » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:15 pm

my 2 cents but I think you are looking at the post in the wrong way. It's not she booked in 7/13 for 8/14, I read it as she got her site in July 2013 for the following month August 2013 obviously due to a cancellation.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:24 pm

lol! Didn't notice the date. I was thinking in my head October not July. This is an old post from last summer. lol. Thanks for clear that one up PS600REVX !
luvmycampers96
Your Real Name (optional): Lori C

Postby luvmycampers96 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply. I haven't been on the site for a while.

But, to answer the question:

Yes, In July 2013, there was a cancellation for August 2013, and I just happened to get the site.

I couldn't believe I was able to get the site, but if you watch for cancellations, you just may get as lucky as me and get a site too!

I hope this makes sense!

I already made reservations for August 2014 (NOW......didn't procrastinate this time)!

Good Luck!

:tentsite:
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:03 pm

One of my current projects is to extend the Campers Toolkit / Booking Buddy to allow you to not only select campsite areas/specific sites you like, but also date ranges/number of nights you are interested in. Then whenever the availability data is updated, the system will check if any site(s) come available that meet your criteria and you'll receive a notification here on the site if anything opens up, an email or perhaps the optiono for a text message. Considering the data is update here 6 times a day, you would have a decent chance at picking up a site that is cancelled.

Return to “Rollins Pond”