Rollins for the first time

General discussions specific to Rollins Pond, neighbouring campground to Fish Creek. Ask a question, share your experiences at Rollins or make suggestions to others.
OldRadios

Rollins for the first time

Postby OldRadios » Thu May 01, 2014 10:10 am

My wife and I are always looking for places to camp on the water and found the campsite photos database. We never knew about Rollins Pond so we will be checking it out this year.
One of our favorite spots for our base camp is Brown Tract and have been going there every August for many years (no site photos yet :( ). Fish Creek looks nice but we have an aversion to power boats so we would most likely enjoy Rollins better. Power boats kind of spoil the peace we look for when camping.

My question is we now have a 27' RV we use as base camp when canoing/kayaking. Are the sites for 30'+ trailers pretty level there?

I notice like Brown Tract that by now many water sites are pretty filled up and reserved for the season already.
Will most likely drive the car in to check things out the next time we are up that way.

I miss the old days when you just drove up, found an empty site and then went back told them where we were set up. We like to just take off for a couple days (my wife's work schedule changes every week) and we can't really plan ahead, so it's not as easy as it use to be.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: Rollins for the first time

Postby CampADK » Thu May 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Sites up in Rollins vary. The campsite photos should help. Certainly the A sites are pretty flat, as well as the penninsula loop (Site 35
Click for more info!

ish area). There are some with obvious slopes down into them which would be tricky.

I didn't get around to taking photos at Brown Tract. Not sure how many sites are really on the water. Maybe you could give me some info on that. Could add it to the list as we are down that way somewhat often. I tended to concentrate on the large campgrounds and due to time had to skip a few. Trying to do another 10-12 campgrounds however beginning late next week.

Fish Creek gets booked up pretty much at the millisecond 9 months in advanced.

A good portion of sites that still show up in prime time are likely due to cancellations, or they are not so desireable compared to others, especially with so many campers going to bigger and bigger rigs!

Don't forget to bring your antique radio! :wink:

OldRadios

Postby OldRadios » Thu May 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Now that's a nice Zenith chair side radio. Bringing that along would not be camping light.

The campsite photos help a lot. Thank you for all your work. Just sometimes even with pictures it's hard to tell if there's a gradual slope in the actual site area. It was a little easier when we had a shorter camper van. We stick to the Finger Lakes and Catskills until about the middle of July. By then we miss most of the black flies. I'll check out the site numbers you suggested.

Brown Tract has around 30 sites on the water side but some it's quite a climb with a boat. When we've been at those sites we generally drop off the boats at the launch and paddle them over to the shore below the site. The main camping area has several sites where you are on the water and the boats are right next to you. There are a couple of sites that are actually outside the main campground and one of them is our favorite but I was late to the reservations and it was already booked for the entire season. We are in a couple of the other sites for a week in August. I've kayaked between Brown Tract and Raquette Lake a few times. Gets pretty narrow and shallow by Brown Tract and there's usually a couple of beaver dams to cross but it is doable. I had an Eagle grab a fish ten feet off my bow in that section once. I just sat there in aw for a while after it happened contemplating my existence and how lucky I was to see it that close. I'll never forget the whoosh of it's wings as it lifted the fish into the air.

If you haven't been there by the time we're up there again I'll try to get you the site numbers. I know they were doing some road repaving this month so I don't know when exactly they will be open for the season.
OldRadios

Postby OldRadios » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 pm

Will be spending a week in August canoing in the DAKs with my wife and just added three days on the end for solo kayaking at Rollins. Looking forward to a couple of days on the water there checking it out for the first time.

Return to “Rollins Pond”