Site 204

General discussions specific to Rollins Pond, neighbouring campground to Fish Creek. Ask a question, share your experiences at Rollins or make suggestions to others.
Mr_Kyle
Years at Fish Creek: 6
Camping Equipment: Pop Up (Starcraft Starflyer)
Your Real Name (optional): Kyle Howatt

Site 204

Postby Mr_Kyle » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:37 pm

I saw that campSite 204
Click for more info!

opened up for the same week that I plan to be at Rollins this year. I was originally planning to stay on Site 83
Click for more info!

, but switched to 204 today when it opened up because I think it will better for the size of the group I am going to be camping there with. I looked at the photos for Site 204
Click for more info!

several times, and am wondering if the site has a lot of gravel on it? I think it has some near the fire pit, which is fine, but I am wondering if the whole site is covered in gravel, or if I am confusing gravel with the lightly-colored (grayish) dead leaves? Dave, do you remember taking photos of that site a few years ago? Never stayed on that site before, so any and all answers will be greatly appreciated!!

Hope you're all enjoying the summer and your trips to Fish Creek and Rollins! Can't wait to be up there!! :) 8)
~Kyle
iloverollins
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Re: Site 204

Postby iloverollins » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Kyle,

I think you are seeing that correctly. I believe its gravel, but its from a couple years ago, so I don't think it will be as loose as it once was...but it could be. I think that's a better site than 83. Its less noisy as you go further and further into RP. The bathroom is close by which is nice...and if you like to paddle, you're closer to Floodwood and the islands too.

Hope you have fun!
-Tiffany
The Cougars CANADA
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Your Real Name (optional): Karen and Joanna and Jackson

Postby The Cougars CANADA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:18 pm

:D It's funny you should ask that, we took a walk last week and checked out 204, and my nephew who is 6, said, this has lots of rocks..lol, i find them really nice sites, but they are rocky from what i recall...Hard for pegging i imagine..But great switch of sites..Now i need one... :wink:
Mr_Kyle

Postby Mr_Kyle » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 pm

I was hoping I was wrong, to be honest. LOL. But thank you for the quick responses! The help is really appreciated 8) .

My favorite part of Rollins is in the 152-183 area, but nothing has come up for 6-7 days/nights from Jul 21st to 28th in that area as of now. 204 seems to meet most of what I'm looking for this year, as opposed to 83, which is I jumped on it when it got cancelled. Size was really the big factor. I think my group would have been cramped on 83 with 2-3 tents, a popup, and 2 cars, haha. Anyway, I'll continue to look for sites in the 152-183 area as you never know when or if something will come up. 204 will definitely be a good placeholder site for now, tho, and if worse to comes to worst, we'll deal with the gravel.. :shock: 8)

Thanks again for the quick responses!
~Kyle
The Cougars CANADA
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby The Cougars CANADA » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:22 am

:D Lol, you can work around rocks...It is not that bad, just hard for pegging, but a good pegger will fix that..or a rake..But the size and and location makes it all worth it... :wink:
shando
Camping Equipment: popup tent trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Shan Do

Postby shando » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi,

I just extended my stay at Rollins for another 4 nights. I'll be on Site 3
Click for more info!

from July 12th to the 14th, and then on Site 200
Click for more info!

from the 14th to the 18th.

I'm assuming Site 200
Click for more info!

is similar in geography to 204, however I was wondering what the bug situation is at this time of the year in the adirondacks. Should I worry about mosquitoes, black flies, etc at all times of the day, or mainly in the evening at sundown?

Also, I plan to cook some of my meals over the fire, is there a grate on site, or should I bring my own?

Cheers,

Shan
The Cougars CANADA
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby The Cougars CANADA » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:09 pm

:D Well i was there last week and i got bit a couple of times..Some of them while i was on my floatie, one big one on my leg, a good chunk..lol, blistered after..Most have grills, but i came upon some that had there's missing..We always bring another one that we place on top of their's..But if you plan on putting a fry pan on it, no need for xtra grill ..But we cook steaks, etc on ours, so we use our grill on top of that one..The grids are quite large your steak would fall thru...lol.. :baconandeggs:
iloverollins

Postby iloverollins » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Kyle,

Your favorite area is also my family's favorite area for the same time frame...its probably the hardest area to get a site in. I'll be up on 190 from Thursday 7/25-Friday 8/2. I would say that for the people tenting it, make sure they bring a not only a tarp for under their tent (I never know if the tarp should be under the tent or in the bottom of the tent floor) and that they might want to bring a blanket so when they are kneeling/sitting in the tent its not so rough.

I think you'll like the area, and you'll be close to the island too.

Shan,

I just came home yesterday (I was on Site 177
Click for more info!

from 7/3-7/7), I thought the mosquitoes were worse than they typically are...there were also deer flies when I was in swimming, some sweat bees (they don't bite) and what my cousin called "baby mosquitoes"-they looked like regular ones but smaller and were not biting us, on Thursday night they were swarming around us...we noticed them in the citronella candles...they seemed to be jumping right in.

I always try to wear jeans and sneakers to lesson my contact with bugs but I know that's not everyone's preference. I would say that make sure you have bug spray and some citronella candles and/or tiki torches with the bug fighter fuel.

As for cooking over the fire, "They Cougars CANADA" are right when she said the grate that is provided has big spaces...I borrow my parents grate that my dad made out of stainless steel...its really heavy duty. Food doesn't fall through it and we cook steak right on top of it. I would say if you have something, bring it, wrap it in newspaper if you need to transport it home dirty.

Hope you enjoy those meals over the fire, they are always the best!

-Tiffany
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:16 pm

Shando,

What time on the 14th will you be packed up lol.

We move from FCP to Rollins Site 3
Click for more info!

on the 14th for 3 nights.

We are noticing the various bugs are a bit more of a nuisance this year.
The Cougars CANADA
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby The Cougars CANADA » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 pm

:D Tiffany, i see you also post on fb page, is it you???..Cause i am on it also along with my Mom Ann Szebenyi..I'm Karen.. 8) ..
Mr_Kyle

Postby Mr_Kyle » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Karen,

We are a young crowd (ages ranging from 17 to 25) and are just happy to be going up. Of course we have our "favorite" sites, but we'll take what we can get!! So, yeah, getting around the rocks will be no problem. The site is big, flat, has a nice beach, and is near where I like to stay, so we can forgo the fact that it has rocks all over and plan accordingly :)

Tiffany,

LOL. I am not actually surprised that that area is your family's favorite part of the park as well. And you're very right; I have the hardest time finding sites in that area if I do not book nine months out. It's always up in the air when my group is going to be available to go, so it's hard to book out that far in advance. From now on, tho, I may just do it anyway because keeping up with cancellations isn't always easy. Someone's always watching, so you gotta be on your game trying to book something!! We will also be sure to pack extra tarps and blankets for the rocky ground. As always, we're happy to be going and look forward to a great week!! 8) 8)

Thanks to everyone else who has posted here about grills and bugs. I will be sure to buy extra citronella oil for our torches, extra citronella candles, and extra bug spray. It is not surprising that the bugs have been bad as it has been so rainy all season. It won't stop us from going up tho!! As for the grills, I would like to add a suggestion of my own. We buy a face chord of wood from the guy off of route 3 (prob 20 mins from the park) and like to split his logs up into smaller pieces. We then take those smaller pieces and soak them in water for about 2-3 hrs while we're out doing our daily things. After taking them out of the water, we put them on top of the grate that is provided on the campsite, which makes the grate have smaller gaps, and then cook our meat (steak, chicken, etc.) on top of the saturated wood. After trying this last year, I have to say that it is hard to beat the taste of the meat we ate. Something about using wood to cook your meal; whatever wood it is that he cuts down (maybe oak?) adds a little bit of those notes to your food (just a hint, tho, but enough for you to taste a difference). Fantastic food; and no, the saturated wood does not catch fire. (May have to prop up the grate a little bit with other logs or rocks so the grate is a little further above the fire itself, but not a big hassle to do that at all.)

Cheers!! :)
~Kyle
shando
Camping Equipment: popup tent trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Shan Do

Postby shando » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:43 pm

CampADK,

I'll be out of Site 3
Click for more info!

by 11 am which is the checkout time I believe. I'm in limbo before being able to check into Site 200
Click for more info!

in Rollins, so please give me suggestions on where to park the tent trailer. At worst, I was thinking we would go stock up on groceries and bring the camper along. BTW, where is the nearest grocery store?

thanks for the recos to bring tiki torches, I'll try to fit them into the car/camper when I come down. Maybe I'll just bring the torches and leave the bamboo base at home and wedge them between rocks or something.

Thanks,

Shan
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Just teasing you Shan. Yes checkout is 11am. Checkin is 12pm. You can always check and see if your site is ready to move on before 12pm if is ready. Hoping this weather finally improves!
iloverollins

Postby iloverollins » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:27 pm

The Cougars CANADA wrote::D Tiffany, i see you also post on fb page, is it you???..Cause i am on it also along with my Mom Ann Szebenyi..I'm Karen.. 8) ..

Yup, that's me. :D

Return to “Rollins Pond”