Dogs out of control

A place to discuss and post photos of your recent camping trips at Fish Creek.
hardscrabble

Dogs out of control

Postby hardscrabble » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Just returned from our annual visit to Fish Creek. Wonderful site, great weather, good companions & lots of good food. However, it seems that this year there were more dogs than ever at fish creek. Our neighbors had a beagle that was tied and barked constantly! Also 2 sites over was a brown lab that was untied most of the time and came over to our Site 4
Click for more info!

days in a row - with them saying sorry it won't happen again - but it continued. Then when they did tie it up, it barked constantly. Trying to ride bikes was a challenge as you had people walking their dogs on long leases that would run across the road and go in front of the bikes.
We left our pets at home so as not to disturb the peace and quiet of the beautiful campground but this year when you sat around the fire in the evening, you could hear dogs barking all around the pond. I think they need to patrol the park more and ask campers with noisy dogs to bring them home or leave the park.
BigDaveyL
Years at Fish Creek: 1
Your Real Name (optional): Dave

Re: Dogs out of control

Postby BigDaveyL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:25 pm

I agree..

I'd extend that to people as well.

Some parents let their young kids get too close to the road.
Len
Camping Equipment: Jayco Qwest pop up
Your Real Name (optional): Len

Postby Len » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:14 pm

It really is too bad when some bad apples spoil it for everyone else. My pup did great for her first few camping trips with us as did our previous dog. BUT.....I worked with her at home first introducing the camper and we tried her out the first time at a campground very close to home so if she was a problem barking, for example, we could run her home and not be the people with the obnoxious dog. Everyone wants to bring their dogs with them but if camping isnt your dogs "thing" you have to make the call to leave them home or try and spend the time at home training the dog. Get it used to the camper or tent before you go camping, tie him/her up outside and see if its going to make the dog freak out and bark the whole time...if so, you have got your work cut out for you but with work and continued training that can be fixed. If you are not willing to train the dog to be a good campsite neighbor than leave him/her home.
sodarofamily
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 58
Camping Equipment: trailer- jay feather
Your Real Name (optional): maureen and greg
Camp Sign Name (optional): SodaroADK46er

Postby sodarofamily » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:13 pm

WE were on 240, and the people who were next to us had a loose beagle/basset mix.. very friendly.. but did wander all over the place.. then people came in with two dogs.. a boxer that was not tied most of the time, and a CRAZY black lab mix that barked constantly.. 6:45 am it started!!!!!!!!!!!!! My lab did well, barked a few times if a car pulled into the site, but for the most part was quiet.. ignored the barker next door..I have to agree about the loose dogs, that has been my pet peeve every year.. and.. people who have unfriendly dogs.. should not bring them.. which reminds me.. in a few weeks.. BEWARE of the large standard poodles.. one black and one white.. they broke loose from their owner and attacked my lab 4 years ago.. we are spending bucks at a dog daycare this summer to help my dog get over anxiety of other dogs.. and it is working, because he did very well with other dogs this year..
Rollins Fan
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Postby Rollins Fan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:54 am

This was our first trip without a dog. Ours was needy, didn't bark a lot but we never left him alone and he was used to being tied. He would bark if another dog went by (for a minute). We miss the old guy, but I must say it was so much easier camping without a dog. He wasn't a dog that would stand for a week at the kennel, and we had limited folks he could stay with those 13 years. This trip at Rollins, there were many barking dogs, especially the little ones. You wonder if the owners get so used to it, they don't hear it. And yes, dogs not tied should not be tolerated.
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former camper at Rollins Pond, now own a cabin in the Adirondacks, but Rollins will always be special to us.

Return to “Trip Reports”