August 1-5, 2019

A place to discuss and post photos of your recent camping trips at Fish Creek.
cf06adk
Years at Fish Creek: 24
Camping Equipment: Tent, Screenhouse, Boat

August 1-5, 2019

Postby cf06adk » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:41 pm

I stayed on Site 198
Click for more info!

. I normally camp closer to the boat launch, but this site had better sand in the beach area. My relatives stayed on Site 36
Click for more info!

and the beach in front of their site was all muck. I don't remember it being like that- we used to keep the boat in front of Site 35
Click for more info!

and 50 when we stayed on those sites, but this year the muck was so bad I couldn't even beach the boat at 35. Not sure if 50 was as bad.

I didn't kayak but I heard there's some black algae containment things near where the first pond on the left is. I guess the aquatic invasive species are starting to get out of hand. As usual, there was the attendant at the boat ramp checking things. When I hauled out on Monday AM, the girl pulled some seaweed from my trailer and made a note of it in one of her books. I guess they're tracking what species are in the water at the campground. Typical for any DEC public launch now.

The channel from Fish Creek to Upper Saranac was shallow - shallower than I remember it. My depth finder averaged 1.9 feet. I didn't have an issue running my I/O trimmed up and idling through. Our neighbors have a ski boat (fixed inboard/V-drive) and they hit their prop on a log somewhere in the channel. I noticed more debris in there, and some fresh trees down/cut from recent storms. Take a look:

https://youtu.be/l79QxZyE1Rs

It only rained one night - Saturday night I believe. Every day was sunny and in the upper 70's to low 80's. Perfect for boating, tubing, and lake activities. I guess the water temp was 82 - the sandbar on Upper Saranac felt about the same.

I heard yoo-hoo's and taps every night. Our neighbors were great - after 10 PM you could hear a pin drop that's how quiet it was overnight. I think I went through 20 gallons or so of fuel in the boat - that included a trip to Upper Saranac every day, fishing, as well as some tubing. We stopped at Hickok's and bought worms, and actually caught a nice sized bass just to the left of the marina, in front of where the road bends just before the campground. Sunfish could be found in the back bay just past the channel that heads to Upper Saranac.

The coffee/High Peaks Treats came by every morning (their muffins are incredible) and I'm pretty sure I saw the ice cream truck every night as well. I didn't see a wood truck but I might have missed it. We bought wood at Donaldson's and they even had my favorite beer there - Sea Quench Ale. It's hard to find and I was surprised they stocked it. I also bought gas there when I left - yes, the pumps are ancient, but I didn't have any issues with regular 87 and towing 5000 lbs. back home.

Overall a great trip, can't wait to head back up there again.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: August 1-5, 2019

Postby CampADK » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Great report!

Was there last in early/mid July. Heading back on Monday. As per other years didn't see any real change in the channel to Upper Saranac. I'm always trimmed up well so rarely rarely ever hit anything.

We camp in many areas around the ponds and I would agree that some areas have more 'mud' than in the past. These days we always camp on Square Pond. The north shore is very good. The 138-141ish area is getting muddy in the last few years. We tend to like sites in the 176-210 range for the boat or the north shore 86-120. 103-120 is the best for the boat on the north shore. We put in a 28ft dock so I like a nice sandy bottom. Other areas either are to shallow (212ish to 240ish and 66ish to 95ish), and the bay (around 166) gets too deep too fast for the boat/dock combo.

It will be getting much quieter now with kids going back to school!

Cheers
kps7987
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin

Postby kps7987 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:18 am

We will be there for our first time this coming weekend and looking forward to it. We are first year boat owners and this will be a new experience. Needless to say I am a bit more confident driving the boat and truck/trailer in certain areas than she is. We are staying at Site 175
Click for more info!

. Will this be an easy drive from loading ramp to our campsite? I assume if she goes slow and stays trimmed up she should not have any issues?

Also this will be the first time beaching our boat? Is Site 175
Click for more info!

going to offer us any issues?
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:08 pm

Welcome new boater!

Trim up from boat launch to 10ft or so past the buoy on the other side you of the bridge then good all the way to Site 175
Click for more info!

. Avoid getting to close trimmed down past Site 66
Click for more info!

to about Site 90
Click for more info!

. Very shallow! We have had our dock setup on 170, 178 and 179 before. Should be fine on 175.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:10 pm

The drive from Site 175
Click for more info!

to the boat launch will take about 10 minutes. You’ll have to watch passing other vehicles where it gets narrow.
kps7987
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin

Postby kps7987 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Thank you
cf06adk

Postby cf06adk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Also, from Site 198
Click for more info!

, about 100 feet out, there's a sandbar where it's only about 2-3 feet deep. Be careful in that area as well.

I marked it in red here on the map for you:

cf06adk

Postby cf06adk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:14 pm

kps7987 wrote:We will be there for our first time this coming weekend and looking forward to it. We are first year boat owners and this will be a new experience. Needless to say I am a bit more confident driving the boat and truck/trailer in certain areas than she is. We are staying at Site 175
Click for more info!

. Will this be an easy drive from loading ramp to our campsite? I assume if she goes slow and stays trimmed up she should not have any issues?

Also this will be the first time beaching our boat? Is Site 175
Click for more info!

going to offer us any issues?

Site 175
Click for more info!

should be good for beaching.

Here's what I do. Copied from my post on THT:

Here's what I do, assuming there aren't rocks at the campsite. Sandy bottoms only.

1. Toss the stern anchor to the side of the boat, ensuring enough scope.
2. Idle forward until bow bumps beach. Engine off, trim up.
3. Spin boat around, tie stern to tree or use stern anchor
4. Go back in boat and set bow anchor
5. keep boarding ladder down in case bow anchor decides to move. This will act as a third anchor.

I kept mine in front of our campsite for five days, on a small pond with tons of boat and jetski traffic. People tubing all day long, etc. and the boat didn't move.

*edit* Here, perfect video of what I do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihr4PaGTves

Make sure your bow anchor is a good danforth with at least 10' of chain. I think mine's a 10 lb danforth. 50 feet of rope.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... -lake.html

Return to “Trip Reports”