Old FCP Postcards

A place for you to post memories you or your family remember from camping at Fish Creek over the years, as well as any other items of historical nature. Photos would be great too!
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Old FCP Postcards

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:44 am

Over on the main menu, there is a link to videos. One of the videos is a slide show of my collection of FCP postcards. There are 79 cards in the video, and that represents my collection as it was a couple of years ago, shortly after Dave and Kate started up fishcreekpond.com.

Since then I've added 10 more cards to the collection, and know of 14 more cards that exist which I have yet to acquire to round out the collection. And just when I think I have a complete list of the cards, another one pops up that I have never seen before.

So rather than asking Dave to re-do the video, I am going to add the newer cards to our photo album over at Campers Photos

I will add to this as time permits. Enjoy!
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: Old FCP Postcards

Postby CampADK » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:37 am

Steve, just going through some of your new cards. What site was the old dock located at?

The one of Picnic Point is interesting! Certainly more birch trees there back in the 30's.

Cards 158 looks like it was taken around Site 300
Click for more info!

or so.

The card you have of 'Early Canoeing on FCP' does look like it was taken from Site 35
Click for more info!

or 36... except for the fact that there is one of the small hills over on the right which seems out of place. I was thinking it might also be taken looking from around what is now the day use area towards site area looking towards Site 225
Click for more info!

roughly.

Retaking many of the shots from the same location of the old postcards is on my to-do-list this summer.

Have you managed to find the postcard used in the car camping exhibit at the ADK museum? Thats a great one!

Let us know as you add additional cards. Just discovered you had added 6 more since last time I checked.

Cheers
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:51 am

campadk wrote:Steve, just going through some of your new cards. What site was the old dock located at?

Not sure on that. I have been told it was part of the old swimming area (roughly Site 70
Click for more info!

to 80), but can't confirm that yet. If our friend, Mr. Gardner comes to FCP this summer, we will ask him. He's been camping at FCP since the late 1930's!

The card you have of 'Early Canoeing on FCP' does look like it was taken from Site 35
Click for more info!

or 36... except for the fact that there is one of the small hills over on the right which seems out of place. I was thinking it might also be taken looking from around what is now the day use area towards site area looking towards Site 225
Click for more info!

roughly.

That's possible, too. I can't be 100% on any of these old shots, but am making some educated guesses. The shorelines have changed a bit due to erosion, and the general height of the trees may be different now. That could block some of the hills in the distance. And we do know that there have been changes in the tree population over the years as you mentioned about Picnic Point.

Have you managed to find the postcard used in the car camping exhibit at the ADK museum? Thats a great one!

Not yet. That one would be a very special additon to our collection along with the one that shows some kind of footbridge over some part of FCP.

Let us know as you add additional cards. Just discovered you had added 6 more since last time I checked.

Will do, was working on the titles and captions and forgot to post in here.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Sun May 04, 2008 9:32 am

This postcard has the potential to be very controversial. Dave and I have already talked about this one but I wanted to share it with the rest of our FCP family. First, here's the card:

Here's what I know about the card... First, it is a Real Photo Post Card (RPPC) produced by the Eastern Illustrating Co. of Belfast, Maine. It is labelled FISH CREEK POND CAMP SITE, SARANAC INN, N.Y. 460. I am absolutely certain that this is FCP because it is one of a numbered series of cards of FCP taken in the late 1920's or very early 1930's. While I do have the rest of this group in my collection, I do not own this card, and only have this low grade scan of it so it is impossible for me to examine it for the great details that are always visible in actual RPPC's.

I will also tell you that this card is extremely rare; I lost an eBay auction for this exact card for $52.00!!! (If one of the members here has this actual card, I would deeply appreciate a high quality scan of this card so that I could better understand the scene.)

OK, now for the controversy. This card appears to show a foot bridge across FCP, probably where the 5 MPH narrows are today. That would be roughly from Site 67
Click for more info!

to Site 231
Click for more info!

. Or it may be across the other narrows between the Day Use Area and approximately Site 250
Click for more info!

. Either way, it shows something of great interest that no longer exists at FCP.

What do all of you think (or know) about this?

Last edited by Gail & Steve Collins on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sun May 04, 2008 11:23 am

Hi Steve,

Aha! I had forgot where I had heard about that foot bridge... and now it make sense that it was from you Steve. I have ask several people about this bridge, but no-one has ever heard anything about it.

I could see this shot being taken from 3 different locations... however the density of trees make one wonder...

For example one of your other cards steve, of 'Picnic Point' taken within roughly the same period... sites in the 65-78 region...

The density of trees on the pennisula around that time isn't great, so if this is infact a foot bridge to the pennisula, then the pennisula would likely be on left side of the bridge in your photo containg the bridge. The depth of field however doesn't look right for that to be the case. Square Pond from this angle would be much further across. The shot would have had to be taken around Site 158
Click for more info!

Could this have been taken from around what is now the trading post with sites in the 250's on the left with the bridge spanning across to what is now the picnic area? Possibly. This would make the most sense to me. The two rises in terrain in the background do look about right for that angle as well.

What about this being the original bridge over Route 30?
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Sun May 04, 2008 12:26 pm

Dave,

The postcard of "Picnic Point" is at least 10 years newer than the one in question, and maybe more. I don't have any postmarks on the other cards in the series that includes "Picnic Point" so I can not provide a more accurate date. However, looking at the collection as a whole, this series appears to be late 1930's at the earliest.

I haven't got a clear picture of the background hills from many points around the campground. I am real good with Whiteface from Site 140
Click for more info!

to 153... :D

It could well be the original bridge over Route 10 (now Route 30), but the land formation to the right side of the picture looks all wrong to me.

The bridge does not appear to be able to support vehicle traffic. Back then, they built bridges with much more framework above the roadway than today. And the pilings appear to be spread too far apart to be anything other than a foot bridge. But, given the fact that I can't examine the card with a microscope (which you can do with a RPPC - there's some incredible detail to be seen), I can't determine for sure what is the actual construction of the bridge. But it sure does not appear to me to be a roadway bridge.

For now, my best guess is that it was taken either from around Site 152
Click for more info!

on a cloudy day so you can't see Whiteface in the distance. We'll make it a point to do some looking this June.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Thu May 22, 2008 1:01 pm

I have now posted scans of all 89 cards currently in my collection to an album entitled The Postcards of Fish Creek Ponds over under Campers Photos.

I thought it might be interesting for folks to be able to look at the large size scans of the postcards as there is some incredible detail to be seen, particularly in the very old Real Photo cards (1920's) which are sepia toned in color. There are also some black and white photo postcards from the 1930's and newer that have some great detail as well.

I've begun adding captions to the cards but that is a slow going process. For now, many of them have only the file name which is based on my postcard filing system numbers.

If you see a specific card that you would like to know more about, let me know and I will get that caption done as soon as I can.

Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

CampADK

Postby CampADK » Thu May 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Steve I have been adding some comments, mainly related to location (or probable location) for those that I could reasonably quess based on the card and comparisons to current photos I have.

I'll have to print out some, and try to duplicate some of the shots this summer. Last years attempt of 'then and now' wasn't so sucessful LOL. (re: http://www.fishcreekpond.com/thenandnow.html).

Cheers
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:10 pm

It's been a while since I added more postcards to the online album here. In the last year, only 4 new cards have been added to my album at home. Today I finally got them scanned and posted here: http://fishcreekpond.com/campersforum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=1398 They are on the first page of the postcard album.

Cards 094,095, and 096 are particularly interesting because they are from the very first years of FCP. You can have some fun trying to match them to current locations in the park.

Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Interesting Steve!

This one appears to be looking from about Site 113
Click for more info!

looking at the bridge over the creek between 137 to 138. The bald area on the left shore would be Site 138
Click for more info!

. Sites in the upper 120's and mid 130's are quite open. Landscape sure has changed a lot!

Just notice 091 again. That peninsula sure did erode away a lot!

Glad you are still able to find some new ones. Must be getting harder by now since you have so many!

That walking bridge is still a puzzle. I'll have to load up all the postcards on my iPad next summer and go around and get those 'now' and 'then' shots. Last time I did that I wasn't so successful. I think I know the park a bit better now :lol:

Thanks for posting those!
rv4life
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: rv

Postby rv4life » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:14 pm

I just looked through the album and was amazed at the pics. One thing I noticed is how the Trading Post was once one story and yellow. Did they just add a second floor one year? It is interesting how many trees used to be in the parking areas that are there now.
Mud Dauber

Postby Mud Dauber » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:41 pm

rv4life wrote:I just looked through the album and was amazed at the pics. One thing I noticed is how the Trading Post was once one story and yellow. Did they just add a second floor one year? It is interesting how many trees used to be in the parking areas that are there now.

hey rv4life if you wanna put an extra story you got to blow out the roof and end a second floor. i think they done used differnet paint since it used a be yellow. the parking area done removed it some trees cause there aint too many now as there used a be there since I seen it it look good then and now from my opinyin.
"shut'm down! shut'm down!

Return to “History and Fond Memories”