How far back can you go?

A place for you to post memories you or your family remember from camping at Fish Creek over the years, as well as any other items of historical nature. Photos would be great too!
Don M
Your Real Name (optional): Don M

Re: How far back can you go?

Postby Don M » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Our grandparents also owned the Lake Colby General Store. I think Harold was at RP back into the 60's too. The sail boat races were an annual event held on Rollins Pond, folks would line up on the boat launch to watch from shore and others would just watch from boats. There are many more pics buried in boxes and albums that we need to have Mom dig out for us. As they surface we will post them up.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:50 pm

I do remember Sailboat racing at FC but do not think they were organized and depended on favorable weather. There were many sunfish / sailfish etc in the late 50s, 60s and we would watch from shore to see if they would start racing. It essentially started with a run downwind then tacking back. They were always fun to watch and chances were we knew someone who was out there. As far as I knew they only occurred on the big pond. We always cheered for a guy with a homemade sailfish who's name was Walt Robinson.
Well Dave, there is your next toy. You could always put a sail on one of those Kayaks or even a canoe.
northernborn

Postby northernborn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 pm

my mother was in the boat with father fishing in rollins and went into labor the boat was so rough on her that she got out and took the trail from rollins to the crossing but had to wait there as her water broke on the log crossing almost dumping her in the creek.

my uncle's house stood not far away on square pond and they heard mother calling and came to her, carrying her to the house where father met them and took her, us truly, the rest of the way at top speed in one of the little red boats and glad they were to have it though they did not make it and I was born at the opening of tackle bay and fell to the floor breaking a collar bone and dislocating my left arm.

they made it out to blagden and Joe I believe it was, ran us the rest of the way into the hollow to the doctors. the boys camp was where the beach originally was which is where the bulkheads are today.

I took my first walking steps where the creek campsite c-13 later was built believe last time I checked it was called c-5 but has been some years since I was in there. when the state burnt blagden out they left my father's house until they expanded the campground and burned the rest of us out in the 30's and early 40s.

the ponds were lovely ringed with white birch but they were the first to go once the campground was in. All the boys that were there in the boys camp those years and they never were damaged but they were peeled by the campers poste haste.

A magazine did a story on Fish Creek Campground in the 40s right when everyone was returning from deployment overseas and all those lake george campers kept on rt 9 a bit farther and swelled the fish cricker roles and more expansions were needed.

we removed a time capsule at my fathers camp which is where the hike in Site 16
Click for more info!

was placed and we did that in 1999 it had been buried when the state tore fathers camp down
Tapestry
Years at Fish Creek: 51
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Pam Bennett

Postby Tapestry » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:25 pm

My grandparents and mother started camping at Fish Creek in the early 40's before there was a bridge over the creek. My folks started camping at Rollins in 1960. My baby sister was 6 weeks old and my folks wanted sites off the water thinking it would be safer than having the water that close for us. They'd pack us up and go to the beach. Then they got smart and realized that if they got a water site they could just stay at the site. I think it was suitable threats of not going camping if we didn't stay away from the water unless they were watching, us kids were safe.

We'd start planning our camping trip right after New Year's. The folks would start buying an extra can of veggies, soup, & stew every week when they did the grocery shopping. The extras were taken to the basement and put in a box on the rack next to the camping equipment. The only thing they'd have to have money for was the site rental, bread, milk, ice & meat. We got to go out to dinner once each of the 2 weeks. We got "the talk" before we went in the restaurant. Behave or we'd NEVER get to eat at a restaurant again. We also got the $ amount we could spend on our meal. One year we camped for 2 weeks and had dinner out twice for under $100.

Does anyone remember the "Honey Bun" lady? She drove around every morning in an old woody station wagon, calling out the window what she had for sale. She'd end her string with "We have honey buns, today!" Those were the days... we only went to town a couple of times in the 2 weeks to do laundry and get the meat that we couldn't for some reason get at Donaldson's.

Is the restaurant across from the marina still open?
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Great story! Kids have it so much easier now. They get to bring all the toys now, and burn all the gas they want while tubing, skiing and playing out on the ponds. I've seen a few grandpa's spend a TON of money on those darn mount Marcy's for the grandkids.

The pizza place across from Hickoks (marina) is usually open during prime camping season. I forget the name of it these days.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Pies, cakes, cookies, donuts, bread, we have fresh honey dips today!

Milk, eggs, bacon, butter, cream, cottage cheese, orange juice, chocolate milk, milk.

They were always better than an alarm clock to wake me up.
weR-Podpeople
Your Real Name (optional): Heidi and Kevin

Postby weR-Podpeople » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:28 am

My Folks started camping at Rollins in the 50's. My Grandmother used to come with them to help with us kids and pick blueberries and clean the trout and bullhead I think. I've been coming since I was a baby and now my children and their spouses come as well. Working on the next generation. My friends have always been amazed that even through those difficult teen years the kids couldn't wait to get to Rollins in the summer! It is a magical place.
Tapestry
Years at Fish Creek: 51
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Pam Bennett

Postby Tapestry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 am

As I said in another post, my grandparents went camping at Fish Creek, but my grandmother had quit camping when we were really young. Grandpa would go out fishing all day and expected to come home to a hot meal and fresh baked pies. In 1983, my parents bought a Jayco 27 ft. camper and Mom started taking Grandma to camp again. They'd camp in the area of Site 45
Click for more info!

at FC. Mom & Grandma would spend the days together, sit by the fire at night. One rainy day, Grandma was sitting at the table in the camper watching people come and go. "Those people in that green house are so lucky," she said. "People go to visit them all day long." I'm sure you all know what that "green house" is across from #45. :lol:

Another vendor memory... "Nice Ice." and "Wood 'n Worms!"
campgas

Postby campgas » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:12 am

Does anyone remember the old guy (1970/80's) in the van selling donuts, bread etc. My brother used to buy day old plain donuts. Also the ice guy in the white ice truck who looked like Kojak (sp.) and would give us kids lollypops? My family has had many, many years of Fish Creek memories. It has been 4 generations starting in the 1950's and hopefully more to come.
Tim Mudge
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 50
Camping Equipment: "Ultra" Mini pop up

Postby Tim Mudge » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Taps, via trumpet at 10:00pm First two weeks of August, {1960's or 70's} In the Crisp Adirondack air it could be heard across all three lakes
Cheers, Until we met again
FCMEMORIES
Years at Fish Creek: 49
Camping Equipment: 13' Serro Scotty trailer
Your Real Name (optional): JAJE, CINDY
Camp Sign Name (optional): JAJE-CINDY/MELISSA

Postby FCMEMORIES » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 pm

I celebrated my first Birthday at Fish Creek with my parents and this year will be celebrating my 52 Birthday at Fish Creek. Have only missed a few years in my life of not being there. It is my favorite place to be! Many fond childhood memories made there. I also instilled Fish Creek into my Daughter who now goes with her new husband. She too has many fond childhood memories. I remember many of the things others mention, the long line to wait to get in and everyone would yell "were moving" when one car got through. But we would have a ball making new friends and playing during the wait. The big purple bus, the ice and wood guy, newspapers would be delivered, trash cans at each site that the raccoons (and bears) would love, going to the dumps to watch the bears, tupper lake was a busy little town, there were no flush toilets. I can remember one year a poor little boy fell through. I bet he remembers that too. Many friendships formed over the years at that campsite for me. My husband also enjoys the area as well. It was his first experience at camping. He now has his own hiking gear and we go a few times a year even if just for a weekend. What is it that draws us there, the beauty, smell, people, things to do, food, shopping, nature? I love that there is no electricity. It's nice to be away from everything for awhile. Back to basics. Have a good day everyone! Enjoy your time at Fish Creek!
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:24 am

Great post! Laughed at the "We're Moving!" comment and the kid falling in. What was the purple bus?

Was talking to Joe Gaper this week. Doesn't anyone remember his bright yellow van he had years ago? I gather it was a one of a kind and he had been going for years.
weR-Podpeople
Your Real Name (optional): Heidi and Kevin

Postby weR-Podpeople » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:45 am

I remember the purple bus. It had everything on it at least from a kid standpoint. Actually it had staples like bread milk eggs and dry goods, ice and best of all CANDY!!!! It was kind of like a small general store that you could walk into and pick out what you wanted. They had taken out most of the seats and had stuff on shelves and hanging fron the ceiling. I remember the Old Head ranger Harold when he was just starting out. My dad used to trade him Croghan bologna for firewood. We also used to go to the old factory in Tupper that made things out of wood and get their ends and pieces of scrap hardwood for free at first,later they would charge a few bucks to fill the back of the station wagon. As kids we would build whole cities and mazes out of the blocks until we needed to burn the wood. There was many a night when dad was out chasing a raccoon from the garbage in his undershorts with a flashlight. We used to go out to the airport before it was fenced and pick blueberries and watch the planes (plane if we were lucky) land. then come back to camp and make cobbler or pie in the camp oven over the fire.

Return to “History and Fond Memories”