How far back can you go?

A place for you to post memories you or your family remember from camping at Fish Creek over the years, as well as any other items of historical nature. Photos would be great too!
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:57 am

campadk wrote:Steve, your families FCP history sure goes back far!

Sounds like Jack Gardner must be his late 80's. He must have some great stories! How much time has he spent camping at FCP over the years?

Any idea of your camping dates next summer? I have to get on the ball and book our own summer very soon!

PS. Did the long johns actually work to keep warm? :lol:

Dave,

Jack Gardner (now nearly 88 years old) camped at FCP on and off throughout his adult life. By the time I started going there with Gail in 1997 he was a regular. For many years he camped in a 1962 GMC motorhome with a hoist and rack on the back for his motorcycle (which he just stopped riding a couple of years ago.) Before that it was mostly wall tents, and a small travel trailer for a few years just before he bought the motorhome. He sold the motorhome about 8 years ago and used a borrowed travel trailer for another year or two. Since then, it has been just day trips for him, but he's been there!

Gail likes to tell the story about the 1960 camping season when the Gardners were ***125th*** in line out on Route 10 (now Route 30) and ended up sharing a campsite with the Schuberts (Gail's family.)

You're gonna love this.... Gail just booked our early trip to FCP. We'll be arriving on Site 147
Click for more info!

on Monday, June 11, 2007 and departing on Wednesday, June 20th. That puts Spring Tearup smack dab in the middle of our stay so we will be around to take some group pictures for you (so everyone can be in the picture) and join in the fun! Any idea what sites you're going to plan for the Tearup?

We will certainly do our annual two week stay in the second half of August as well.

Since Gail was a very proficient slalom skier, the long johns stayed dry while she was up, and kept her quite warm. She used to ski right off the beach so she barely got her ankles wet. And, the girl was good enough that she would land on the beach, too, again staying nearly totally dry.
(First time I saw her ski, it was just awesome!)

Steve
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:12 pm

125th in line? Guess they had enough time to spare to do a head count LOL

Glad you'll be around for the TearUP! I better get choicing an area of sites. Procrastination is NOT something you do when planning FCP camping!

I was looking at the 140's as an area, but found that it would be almost impossible to get 10-15 sites in a row. Much easier farther down (170-200 range). I'll check in the next few days.

Our main bookings will be within the first two weeks of July and other withing the first two weeks of Aug, but will likely do some last minute appearances .
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:04 pm

Hey everyone,

Here's a pic of a very old abandoned car that is on the grounds of FCP.
There are several of them all in one place just a 10 minute hike from Site 117
Click for more info!

I talked to the Park Manager, and he told me about them.
An antique auto enthusiast identified this one as the remains of
a Whippet which was one of many, many cars built in the 1920's.

To get to them, get yourself to Site 117
Click for more info!

. Straight inland from Site 117
Click for more info!

you can see a little maintenance building. Go to that building and turn left.
You'll see a wide clearing in the trees which is the remnants of a power
line right-of-way. The electric lines back to Rollins Pond Campground
used to be on poles here, but have since been buried. The right-of-way
is still very obvious because there are no tall trees in a path about 25 feet
wide. Follow the right-of-way up the hill towards Rollins Pond. At the top
of this hill, look off to the right and you'll see one of the old cars. As you
poke around up there, you'll find several more cars. I counted at least
five of them up there. There may be more further back in the trees.

Steve
Last edited by Gail & Steve Collins on Sat May 31, 2008 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:08 pm

Interesting how cars show up in the darndest places! I always wondered how that happens.

And I thought people leaving behind tents, stove and other gear behind at campsites was bad.... :D
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:21 pm

campadk wrote:Interesting how cars show up in the darndest places! I always wondered how that happens.

And I thought people leaving behind tents, stove and other gear behind at campsites was bad.... :D

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that these cars were cannibalized for their engines and drive trains. There were no wheels, tires, suspension parts, engines, or drive trains with any of these cars. All we found were frames and body parts. Since much of the infrastructure of FCP was originally built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) in the 1930's, I suspect that the engines and drive trains from these cars were removed and used to build home-brew saw mills, cranes, or other mechanized systems used in building the roads, embankments, drainage systems, water systems and wells. There's not a lot of historical information about the CCC camps at FCP, but I do know that similar things happened at other CCC camps throughout the country.

Steve
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

rfinley
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 47
Camping Equipment: Grand Design 315RLTS
Your Real Name (optional): Louise & Randy Finley

Waiting In Line

Postby rfinley » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:38 pm

berly0169 wrote:Skiing Santa and skiing clowns. They both used to be a tradition that as kids the group of us would beg to stay up long enough to see. And to YooHoo of course!
My younger son got the opportunity to stay up at FCP with his grandparents for 10 days this summer and his nights were not complete until he had his opportunity to YooHoo. Of course that is followed closely by climbing on the "big rock" near the bathrooms by site Site 230
Click for more info!

(I think that is where it is.)
My grandmother loves to tell us about the time that they had to camp on the side of the road outside the entrance for two days waiting for a site. (Boy, am I glad they have reservations now!)
Can't wait to see more stories.

Kim

I stumbled on this site and I can’t tell you how much I have enjoyed it. We happen to be snowed in here in Albany NY and seeing all the pictures seems to make the snow a little more bearable. I am second generation Fish Creeker and have had the pleasure this past summer to get a group picture of four generations on Site 268
Click for more info!

. I too have waited in line with my parents. Rule was the camp stove and coffee pot were the last things packed so you could easily get to them roadside. I have included a scanned picture of us in line with our Montgomery Wards soft top popup. This was in August of ’68. The line went around the corner past Hickok’s !!! Sometimes I almost think this was better than the reservation system in use today. Dave, we will miss you by two days. We will be on Site 251
Click for more info!

from June 21st to the 27th.

Anyone remember all the purple cows ???

Last edited by rfinley on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:46 pm

Welcome rlinkley!

That phot is priceless!!! I've heard so much about the lines up route 30... first time I've seen a shot of it. Talk about a popular camp spot back then LOL.

I know what you mean by the snow! Kate and I are currently in Lake Placid... and BARELY made it back to our resort since the snow is soooo deep!

Love to hear more of your stories!
rfinley
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 47
Camping Equipment: Grand Design 315RLTS
Your Real Name (optional): Louise & Randy Finley

Postby rfinley » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:30 pm

campadk wrote:Welcome rlinkley!

That phot is priceless!!! I've heard so much about the lines up route 30... first time I've seen a shot of it. Talk about a popular camp spot back then LOL.

I know what you mean by the snow! Kate and I are currently in Lake Placid... and BARELY made it back to our resort since the snow is soooo deep!

Love to hear more of your stories!

I know we have more pictures, just have to find them. Another pastime of past was going to Donaldson’s (sp??) dump at sunset to see the
bears. Can’t remember where it was, just remember the cars lined up like being at the drive-in.

You mention you keep your boat near Fish Creek. I will be camping this year with my grandsons and would like to bring my boat up the weekend before our reservations and the weekend after come back up to bring it home. Would the place you store yours do something like this for 3 weeks ?? I would really like to bring them out to Upper Saranac to my favorite fishing spots.

Again, the website is great and you have a great eye with your camera !!
sodarofamily
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 58
Camping Equipment: trailer- jay feather
Your Real Name (optional): maureen and greg
Camp Sign Name (optional): SodaroADK46er

Re: How far back can you go?

Postby sodarofamily » Fri May 30, 2008 9:48 pm

You remember the bears behind donaldson's? Yes...you were there in the sixties!
Look at the post about bears..I posted a memory about my dad..while we were watching the bears feed at the dump.
humormeplease
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 39+
Camping Equipment: RAM 1500 & Shasta 19'
Your Real Name (optional): John n Susan
Camp Sign Name (optional): Lazy Loon Inn

Postby humormeplease » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:42 am

You are all making me feel old....haha!
weluvfishcreek
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 25
Your Real Name (optional): Olga & Walter Czuma

Postby weluvfishcreek » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 pm

We love this site!(no pun intented). Our family (from Lachine, Que) has been coming to Fish Creek now for the last 25 yrs and we don't plan to stop. Our 2 children were still in diapers when we started and still come with us at least once to "relax" from their stressfull jobs. We camp with a tent trailer (4th one since we started) and love everything about Fish Creek. When we first started camping it seemed that it wasn't as popular as it is now. Looks like everybody who first experienced the magic of Fish Creek told their friends, family, co-workers, etc. Back then we didn't need to book eight months in advance!
Anyway looking forward to this weekend. We are on Site 73
Click for more info!

. See you there!
Jayco23B
Years at Fish Creek: 50
Your Real Name (optional): Doug and Sylvia

Postby Jayco23B » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:36 pm

We camped for 10 years as I was growing up in the late 1950 and early 1960. Last time we were there our son was 3 months old. He just turned 40 this year. I have to get back again..
sodarofamily
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 58
Camping Equipment: trailer- jay feather
Your Real Name (optional): maureen and greg
Camp Sign Name (optional): SodaroADK46er

Postby sodarofamily » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:25 pm

I am a second generation camper...I am in my 50's and have camped at Fish Creek since about 5 years old. I remember waiting in line at the entrance across from hickock's boat yard. My children love camping there too, and I know that when they have families, they will camp there too.
We used to watch the bears behind Donaldson's. I miss the vendors like the milkman... "Milk, eggs, butter, buttermilk, etc."
Last edited by sodarofamily on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:13 pm

Dave,

It looks like Steve never replied to your post so let me do it.

Jack Gardner is about 88 and will be CAMPING up at Fish Creek this summer on one of the A sites. (Oh, to be able to do that in 30 years.)

As far as the red long johns...at the time I was a pretty good slalom skiier and could take off and return to shore without getting more than my feet wet. So yes, they did keep me warm! :D

Gail
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:21 am

Gail & Steve Collins wrote:As far as the red long johns...at the time I was a pretty good slalom skiier and could take off and return to shore without getting more than my feet wet. So yes, they did keep me warm! :D

Gail

And here's a picture from 1994 of her behind Jack Gardner's boat.

Last edited by Gail & Steve Collins on Tue May 12, 2009 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

Return to “History and Fond Memories”