How far back can you go?

A place for you to post memories you or your family remember from camping at Fish Creek over the years, as well as any other items of historical nature. Photos would be great too!
berly0169
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

How far back can you go?

Postby berly0169 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:19 pm

I can't believe I found a whole site dedicated to my favorite place in the world. I am third generation to camp at Fish Creek and am now enjoying watching my two sons (6 & 8 years) experience camping there as well.

I know my grandparents started camping at Fish Creek in the 1940's. I was wondering how many generations of Fish Creek campers there are out there.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi Berly and welcome to the site!

Well Kate and I don't have the history ourselves, but we certainly have met a LOT of FCP campers who's families have been coming for decades. After meet so many campers at Fish Creek, I certainly think there are a large percentage who's families have quite a history at Fish Creek.

Which is partly why this site was born. There seems to be so many stories to be told and shared.
jwfrank
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

FCP History

Postby jwfrank » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:13 pm

My history only goes back one generation to the early/mid 70's. I remember going to Fish Creek with my family every summer when I was in my teens. They are some of the best memories.

Thjis summer I returned after being away from FCP for many years. Now I'm not sure how I stayed away so long. A very important part of me is there. The nice part is that my 16 yr old daughter fell in love with the place. I plan on going back often.

Yhe more people I talk to the more I find there is some type of generational history that is passed on. The family stories are nice to hear. This summer I met a guy who told me about his father camping there in the 70's and how he put on a little waterski show every evening with a disc and a bar stool. I couldn't believe it... I remembered him well. That was the beginning of my adventure into tournament waterskiing. Many hours were spent at FCP tring to get better.

I wonder how many of our paths have crossed in the past. Probably more than we realize.

-- Joe
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Hey Joe,

Have you ever seen the gang that does a water show for Christmas in July at FC? I don't have a photo of them (yet), but they ski in Santa suits and the like... very fun! We have seen them on two two years in a row.

Cheers
jwfrank
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

not yet

Postby jwfrank » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:34 pm

I haven't seen them yet. I guess that will give me something to look forward to this summer!

-- Joe
jwfrank
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

skiing santa

Postby jwfrank » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:57 pm

Dave:
I spoke too soon... after asking another family member they reminded me that we did see a skiing Santa when we were younger. To be more precise... a skiing Santa ringing a bell. I know it couldn't be the same person but maybe a family member carried on the tradition. Is this yet another tradition at Fish Creek that has carried on through generations?

-- Joe
berly0169
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby berly0169 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:27 am

Skiing Santa and skiing clowns. They both used to be a tradition that as kids the group of us would beg to stay up long enough to see. And to YooHoo of course!
My younger son got the opportunity to stay up at FCP with his grandparents for 10 days this summer and his nights were not complete until he had his opportunity to YooHoo. Of course that is followed closely by climbing on the "big rock" near the bathrooms by site Site 230
Click for more info!

(I think that is where it is.)
My grandmother loves to tell us about the time that they had to camp on the side of the road outside the entrance for two days waiting for a site. (Boy, am I glad they have reservations now!)
Can't wait to see more stories.

Kim
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:49 am

Hi Kim!

Do you mean the rock by Site 187
Click for more info!

?

Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:38 pm

campadk wrote:Hi Kim!

Do you mean the rock by Site 187
Click for more info!

?

Dave,

There is an even bigger rock that is even closer to the road up in the 200's. It's got a yellow blotch painted on it to warn traffic. Got to be at least 12 feet tall.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:48 pm

My lovely wife says that she and her brother and her Dad may have originated the clown water skiing in the late 1950's or very early 1960's. She tells me that no one in her family can recall seeing anyone skiing in costume prior to their fun. And, her Mom and Dad have been camping at FCP since right around 1940.

Anyway, one evening when getting ready for the last ski of the day, her Dad tossed her a pair of red long johns to wear over her bathing suit. Off they went, Gail skiing and waving to the folks on shore, her Dad driving the boat (named Boots - another story all together) and brother John banging on an old pot while Dad tooted the horn on the boat.

So there's one family's 15 minutes of fame...:)
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:01 pm

That calls for a photo Steve! You better cough one up! :lol:

I might have video of the Santa skiers about 2 years ago... I have a ton of video that is not marked, so I'll have to find some time this winter to dig through the tapes.

I don't remember a rock near the 200's... but I do remember seeing one with a paint mark on it (guess I haven't hit it yet :lol: )
LtPoopsie
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 31
Camping Equipment: Pop Up
Your Real Name (optional): Mr. & Mrs Pospisil (Bryan and Amber)
Camp Sign Name (optional): Bryan & Amber

3rd Gen

Postby LtPoopsie » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:56 am

I too am a 3rd Generation Camper. My Family started back in the 40's. Being only 27 I haven't started on the 4th generation yet. :lol:
Did anyone from back then through now know any of the Hazzlets?
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:14 pm

While working on our photos, I ran across the one photo I have of 'Santa' on Square Pond. This was taken Aug 11, 2004 at 6pm.

Hey isn't it 'Christmas in July'? Santa was late this year! :santa:

Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:40 am

Gail tells me that there are two minor corrections to the origin of the skiing clown. First, it was a really chilly evening, so she wore her dad's red long johns in an attempt to keep warm.

Secondly, rather than her brother spotting and drumming on an old kitchen pot, it was Jack Gardner. Mr. Gardner was a high school compadre and life-long friend to Gail's Dad, John Schubert. The two of them camped here at FCP right after John graduated from high school which would have been the summer of 1937. Jack Gardner is family.

While we lost Gail's dad in 2003, Mr. Gardner is still with us, and travels from his home in Florida to New York State each summer to visit family and friends. The highlight of his trip is a visit to FCP while Gail and I are camping there. This year, he came along with Gail's older brother John and wife Sara. This is the stuff that great family memories are crafted of.

We did not see either the clowns or Santa this summer during our two weeks there in the second half of August.

Steve
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:58 am

Steve, your families FCP history sure goes back far!

Sounds like Jack Gardner must be his late 80's. He must have some great stories! How much time has he spent camping at FCP over the years?

Any idea of your camping dates next summer? I have to get on the ball and book our own summer very soon!

PS. Did the long johns actually work to keep warm? :lol:

Return to “History and Fond Memories”