Memories

A place for you to post memories you or your family remember from camping at Fish Creek over the years, as well as any other items of historical nature. Photos would be great too!
Carolyn St John

Memories

Postby Carolyn St John » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey fellow campers, I am 63 and have been camping at FCP for 53 of those 63 years. I remember the purple bus, the wood n worms truck, the pastry wagon, and many other vendors who entered the campsite, but I do not have any memories of the YooHoo when I was younger. I have only heard it the past 10 years of my camping experience. Any comments from the "Old Timers" on this? Thanks for the site. :wink:
DaviesFamily
Years at Fish Creek: 65
Camping Equipment: tent
Your Real Name (optional): Chris Davies

Re: Memories

Postby DaviesFamily » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Fish Creek since 1952@age 5. No yoo hoos till mid 70's. I hate to show my age, but I could do without the yoo hoos. Not so bad with youngsters but I have been camped next to a guy who used a bullhorn to shout out his yoo hoo.
sodarofamily
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 58
Camping Equipment: trailer- jay feather
Your Real Name (optional): maureen and greg
Camp Sign Name (optional): SodaroADK46er

Postby sodarofamily » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:13 pm

We were discussing that the other night....some of the yoo hoos are pretty obnoxious...screams --but..then there are the yoooooo hooooo's...
did not have them as a kid myself camping..so wondered when they began...
some very cute and clever means of "yoo hooing"...the boat with the colorful lights that went around this past ten nights....liked that!
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:38 pm

I, too, grew up in the 50's without the "yoohoos" and find them to be really obnoxious.

Gail
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
C&S
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Sylvie & Chris

Postby C&S » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 pm

DaviesFamily wrote: I have been camped next to a guy who used a bullhorn to shout out his yoo hoo.

:shock: Seriously??? :roll: Wow, don't know that I could have kept my cool about that. :twisted:

~sylvie

PS: having said that, watch him be on the lot next to us next week! :lol:
EarthBoundMiss
Your Real Name (optional): Mia M. Halter

Postby EarthBoundMiss » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 am

Leaving Silver Lake for Follensby Clear Pond next door to Fish Creek tonight at midnight for the 6 hour drive...to be there at sunrise for the paddle to an island for our DEC permited 7 night stay.

We stay at Fish Creek two weeks each year as well, month of May with bugs, few folk, and a chance to shake the winter drolls then in mid september when we get the pick-of-the-lot campsite, mild warm weather, no bugs, and quiet water for canoeing.

But my point, :roll: and I do have one, if I get to it, ok here it is, from Follensby you hear those YooHoo's loud and clear, in fact it's kinda funny how it reverbs out of the low forested banks around Follensby...like there's a large pack of yoo-hooing teenagers running through the hills in search of ... whatever yoo-hooing teenagers would search for. Again, it's Loud & Clear. We hear ya. Kinda cute and fun. Just Saying. :P
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Follensby, one of my favorite places on earth. Check out my hummingbird feeder on the rocky point. It is my little memorial to my mother who was an Olympic swimmer that always wanted one more time to "Go for a dip" in Follensby. My favorite campsite is on the southwest corner of the south west camping island. There is a small flat rise right near the water just big enough for a two man. I will be on that in a couple weeks for a night.
CozyCampers
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 20
Camping Equipment: 25 ' Sprinter Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): John & Sandy Edwards
Camp Sign Name (optional): The Edwards

Postby CozyCampers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:27 am

We also love to take a dip in Follensby. With it's crystal clear water, it's ideal for snorkeling.......although the water is a wee bit cooler that FCP, it's very refreshing. Love your photo's in your gallery. Thought you might like to see this clip on Alaskan hummingbirds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUEZkwJulBY
FCMEMORIES
Years at Fish Creek: 49
Camping Equipment: 13' Serro Scotty trailer
Your Real Name (optional): JAJE, CINDY
Camp Sign Name (optional): JAJE-CINDY/MELISSA

Postby FCMEMORIES » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:14 pm

I have been going to fish creek for 52 of my 52 years! I don't remember Yoo Hoo's when I was a kid either. I only remember that going back about 15 yrs or so. I do remember flashing the flashlights across the lake at night in hopes someone would see it and flash theirs back.
Tim Mudge
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 50
Camping Equipment: "Ultra" Mini pop up

Postby Tim Mudge » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 pm

I remember my Mom ( in the mid '60's ) Yodeling across the Lake hoping for a " return yodel " I'm thinking it has Morphed into YooHoo
I always loved the trumpet at 10 pm echoing across the Lakes. Then waking up to the Milk Eggs Butter Lady in the mornings. Good Times
in a Better Day, I want to experience that 1 more time. Thanx
Cheers, Until we met again

Return to “History and Fond Memories”