Car Camping Exhibit at the Adirondack Museum

A place for you to post memories you or your family remember from camping at Fish Creek over the years, as well as any other items of historical nature. Photos would be great too!
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Car Camping Exhibit at the Adirondack Museum

Postby CampADK » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:32 pm

Has anyone seen the special exhibit at the ADK Museum on car camping. Apparently it features one or more large posters from early day postcards at Fish Creek.

It is mentioned in the Adirondack Attic Volume 3.

How about you Steve?
Last edited by CampADK on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Re: Car Camping Exhilbit at the Adirondack Museum

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:58 pm

campadk wrote:Has anyone seen the special exhibit at the ADK Museum on car camping. Apparently it features one or more large posters from early day postcards at Fish Creek.

It is mentioned in the Adirondack Attic Volume 3.

How about you Steve?

Yup, we got down there a couple of days after you stopped by. The postcard is blown up to about 8 feet tall forming the backdrop for the first exhibit that you see in the camping building, and was included in a magazine article by Andy Flynn last year. I have a copy of that article in my book; I think you saw it when you looked throught it.

There were also some photos of FCP in another exhibit hall. I am not sure if they were originally postcards or they were photos that the museum acquired along the way. I understand they have an archive of thousands of photographs. Boy, would I love to see them.

We spent a long weekend at Nick's Lake outside of Old Forge, and just got home this afternoon. The weather cooperated magnificently! Rode the Adirondack Scenic Railroad down to Otter Lake and back. Heavenly.

Steve
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg

Return to “History and Fond Memories”