Finger Lakes / Watkins Glen KOA

Post your comments, experiences or recommendations for other great places to vacation, camp or paddle.
celticstomper

Finger Lakes / Watkins Glen KOA

Postby celticstomper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Has anyone ever stayed at Watkins Glen KOA? We are looking to camp somewhere in the finger lakes (preferably with hook-ups) we are thinking October 16th-20th and would like to do the wine trail. Any advice or recommendations for the area that time of year? Many thanks!
rv4life
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: rv

Re: Finger Lakes / Watkins Glen KOA

Postby rv4life » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:17 am

Very nice campground but very over priced. They charge for kids activities, to use the pool (that will probably be closed), and require wristbands to be worn. This was about five years ago so things may have changed. If you don't mind heading further west, I would recommend Letchworth State Park. The campground just got major electrical, road, and bathroom improvements.

Shane
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:36 am

We stayed at Watkins Glen SP and visited Bully Hill, Lucas and Dr Franks (Keuka Lake region) which we really enjoyed two years ago. Its a nice campground as well and does have some sites with electric but is only open until Oct 13. If you want to visit these particular wineries however, it is a bit of a drive from Watkins Glen. Keuka Lake SP might have been a better choice. Its open through Oct 20 and has electric sites.

In the more northern region, Sampson State Park is well situated (and has electric). We visited The Thirsty Owl, Cayuga Ridge and Three Brothers which are all fairly close by. Sampson has some sites with electric as well as is open until Oct 26th.

I'd perhaps decide which region you are most interested in, and then choose between Keuka Lake SP (Keuka Lake region wineries) and Sampson SP (East side of Seneca Lake wineries).
BigDaveyL
Years at Fish Creek: 1
Your Real Name (optional): Dave

Postby BigDaveyL » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:58 pm

CampADK wrote:We stayed at Watkins Glen SP and visited Bully Hill, Lucas and Dr Franks (Keuka Lake region) which we really enjoyed two years ago. Its a nice campground as well and does have some sites with electric but is only open until Oct 13. If you want to visit these particular wineries however, it is a bit of a drive from Watkins Glen. Keuka Lake SP might have been a better choice. Its open through Oct 20 and has electric sites.

In the more northern region, Sampson State Park is well situated (and has electric). We visited The Thirsty Owl, Cayuga Ridge and Three Brothers which are all fairly close by. Sampson has some sites with electric as well as is open until Oct 26th.

I'd perhaps decide which region you are most interested in, and then choose between Keuka Lake SP (Keuka Lake region wineries) and Sampson SP (East side of Seneca Lake wineries).

Keuka Lake SP is a very nice campground. My buddy and I stayed there this summer for the first time. Nice, large sites - some with electric.

Sampson does have a nice military museum.
celticstomper

Postby celticstomper » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - I will take a closer look at what area we want to do wine tastings. Keuka is a good possibility!
mjh204
Years at Fish Creek: 40
Camping Equipment: travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): MJH

Postby mjh204 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Watkins Glen State park is beautiful in September. I would highly recommend it.Seneca lake has the most wineries and distilleries. We go up state rt 14 one day and the next state rt 414. Never been to the KOA Watkins Glen. The one KOA I have stayed at was the Herkimer Diamond mines. Worst place ever camped at. The campers are so close your awning is about a foot from the camper next to you.

Return to “Camper Travels”