ALGONQUIN PARK in ONTARIO

Post your comments, experiences or recommendations for other great places to vacation, camp or paddle.
PS600REVX
Your Real Name (optional): Paul

ALGONQUIN PARK in ONTARIO

Postby PS600REVX » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi all, anyone been to Algonquin? I hear it is beautiful and I'm heading up next year. There are a bunch of campgrounds and any suggestions of which are the best would be appreciated. I have a 29 foot TT and love FC and Rollins so waterfront sites for swimming and kayaking is a must. From what I see most, if not all, the lakes there are motorboat free which is a bonus. Thanks.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: ALGONQUIN PARK in ONTARIO

Postby CampADK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:00 pm

I'd picked from Pog Lake, Lake of Three Rivers or Mew Lake. I've been to all three. It's been a good 5 years since I've been to Pog so I am a bit fussy on that one. Stayed at Lake of Three Rivers on occasion in recent years. Mew once in Nov (its open year round). Mew is the smaller of the 3. For a larger travel trailer I am thinking Lake of Three Rivers might be your best bet. It's close to the main highway and quite flat. They have a nice beach too! I have decent photos around somewhere.

Check out the Ontario Parks site at https://ontarioparks.com

They have a few small photos of most of the campsites which might help a bit (click on each campsite to pull up photos).

You can bike between Pog, Mew and Lake of Three Rivers which is nice. Combine this trip with Bon Echo and maybe Charleston Lake and you'll be all set! Be prepared for a bit of wallet shock however. Sites vary, but count on about $36 to $43 (electric) plus HST (13%) per night!
PS600REVX

Postby PS600REVX » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks Dave. Heading to Rock Lake next Friday in a tent. While I'm there I'm going to visit some other grounds to see which will be best for a 30 ft TT for next summer. Any weird rules when crossing into Canada these days? I go over relatively often living in Buffalo but haven't packed for an overnighter in years. Still 1 case of beer per person allowed? And pretty much any kind of food? Thanks again.
PS600REVX

Postby PS600REVX » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Any Canadian or American who knows the beer / food rules when crossing feel free to respond. Thanks.

Return to “Camper Travels”