CampADK Road Trip 2013 - Lakeside NH/VT/NY

Post your comments, experiences or recommendations for other great places to vacation, camp or paddle.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

CampADK Road Trip 2013 - Lakeside NH/VT/NY

Postby CampADK » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Trying again! This is nearly the same trip we had booked for June 2012 but had to cancel due to Kate breaking her arm at Fish Creek this past summer.

I figured we had this one all set and could maybe even tweek the trip a bit and get even better sites. Wrong! I didn't realize that in NH you can book 11 months out, not 9 as in the case of NY state.

Regardless the trip is coming together and we managed to snag 2 of the same sites we had booked for the 2012 trip.

Our first main destination in NH is Pillsbury State Park where we have 4 nights booked on one of only a handful of waterfront sites, just SW of Lake Sunapee. Pillsbury State Park is located on May Pond which is fairly small at about 1 km in length, approximately the size of Fish Creeks Square Pond. There are other nearby places to kayak as well. We'll definately be kayaking on Lake Sunapee... maybe stop over (or at least wave) at Steven Tyler if he happens to be at his camp :lol:

We snagged this site at Pillsbury State Park...

A few more of Pillsbury State Park...
ImageImage

Too bad this is a tent only site!

Next we have 7 nights booked at Pawtuckaway State Park this time, in New Hampshire which is obviously VERY popular (not much pickings left already and its out of season dates we are looking for!). Pawtuckaway is our main destination for paddling, and visiting area sites, Northhamption Beach and perhaps Boston. Gorgeous lake with many prime watersites. Features a complex shoreline with lots of small
islands and a total length of about 3 miles (4.7km). Pawtuckaway is about 1.25 hours north of Boston and about 30 minutes from ocean at Hampton Beach. Its obviously the perfect destination not just for paddling and enjoying waterside camping, but for proximity to other destinations. This is also a great destination for those interested in rock climbing and bouldering. After researching campgrounds in the
eastern US over the last 3 years, I'd have to say this is one, if not the best campground (east of Fish Creek/Rollins of course) for lakeside camping and enjoying canoeing/kayaking.

A few shots of one of our sites at Pawtuckaway...

After Pawtuckaway we plan to head back home and stay at Lewey Lake again. Shall hopefully have our site booked next week!

Map of our Trip. Pawtuckaway is the campground marker north of Boston...
(Fish Creek -> Jamaica SP (1n) --> Pillsbury SP (4n) --> Pawtuckaway SP (7n) --> Lewey Lake (2n) --> home). One overlapping night Pillsbury/Pawtuckaway.

View CampADK Steven Tyler - "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" Pawtuckaway/Sunapee Road Trip 2013 in a larger map

Google Satellite image with campground insert for Pawtuckaway and the location of the two sites we will be staying on. Great for sunsets!...

A few photos of Pawtuckaway...

camp james
Your Real Name (optional): Harry & Nancy James

Re: CampADK Road Trip 2013 - Lakeside NH/VT/NY

Postby camp james » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:31 am

the pictures are great, just looking at the views during the off season will make the drive worth it.
C&S
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Sylvie & Chris

Postby C&S » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Wow, gorgeous places to camp!

~sylvie
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:59 am

So here we are on our final day! 18 nights including 4 nights at the TearUp. 3 nights at Pillsbury State Park, 8 nights at Pawtuckaway and 2 nights at Lewey Lake. Might stop in for a night at Fish Creek tomorrow on the way home.

We really enjoyed this trip and discovered a new 'favorite' campground, Pawtuckaway. If you love to camp lakeside, paddle and hike, then this State Park about 1.5 hours north west of Boston should be high on your list! The lake was large enough for us to do 3 longer paddles, and one shorter. There are a good 20 small islands around the lake with more than 15 decent island picnic spots! Its a very complex shoreline with few big open areas. The east shore is lined with camps while the west shore is totally wild (except for the areas where the campground is). The beach is fantastic and one of the nicest we have seen. We camped on Horse Island which is in the middle of the lake, connected by a short causeway. There are lots of decent waterfront site here with a wide variety of views. We stayed on 2 sites, one, Site 14
Click for more info!

was higher up off the water but provided some great views of the islands so we didn't mind. We will definitely be back to Pawtuckaway! The only down side is that there are very few sites that would fit any trailer longer than 25ft. Most campers are in tents or smaller trailers like popups. There is also no dump station so we had to empty our grey water into a large bucket, and dump in the washroom toilet. For boaters, this lake requires some real knowledge! There are lots of rocks just below the surface, even out a ways from shore. Wasn't a problem though for our kayaks.

Pillsbury State Park turned out to be quite primitive, and we arrived to find the site I chose, based on one photo I had found on the internet, turned out to be one of the lease desirable! lol. We ended up however on the best site in the end! Pit toilets, and no dump station. It basically rained the whole time, but cleared up enough for a paddle. A great place for peace and quiet for a few days, and close to the Lake Sunapee area.

Here at Lewey Lake, we have our favorite watersite. Last nights full moon provided for some great night shots. We took a bunch at 11:30pm. You would swear we took them during the day it was so bright!

I have a boat load of photos from Pillsbury, Pawtuckaway and Lewey Lake. I even did a decent job of doing a campsite photo shoot at the best watersites at Pawtuckaway, although mainly the Horse Island area as that is the area I would recommend lakeside campers stay. I'll be adding these to the Campsite Photo Database when I get a chance along with a camping guide for both campgrounds.
cf06adk

Postby cf06adk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:35 pm

I'll be using this as a guide for out-of-state camping for sure.

PS - how many miles do you put on your car in a year? lol
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Less than average mileage I believe. About 19,000km or 12,000 miles.
cf06adk

Postby cf06adk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:59 pm

Ah. That's not bad at all.

Return to “Camper Travels”