Heat for campers

Discussion about camping gear you recommend or have questions about, or camping techniques that have worked well for you. Maybe even gear that is well suited to the Fish Creek experience.
bwilkins67
Your Real Name (optional): Bonnie Wilkins

Heat for campers

Postby bwilkins67 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi, Just wondering what everyone does for heat on the cooler Adirondack nights in early June. Have never been to the park this early in the year so looking for options/suggestions. Thanks

Bonnie
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Re: Heat for campers

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:59 pm

bwilkins67 wrote:Hi, Just wondering what everyone does for heat on the cooler Adirondack nights in early June. Have never been to the park this early in the year so looking for options/suggestions. Thanks.

The answer totally depends on your own camping style. If you have a pop-up, travel trailer, fifth wheeler, or motor home, they've all got built in furnaces which usually run on propane and also need 12 volts DC for the control circuitry and blower.

If you're a tent camper, there are stand-alone propane powered heaters. Using one of them in a tent has major risks: carbon monoxide poisoning or the heater being too close to combustibles. So for tenters, my personal best choice would be extra blankets or sleep wear or a cold weather sleeping bag.

In the evenings, some kind of shelter close to the fire place is a good idea. It will capture and hold the radiant heat from the fire. We have what's called a "Fish Creek lean-to" that is specifically designed for this purpose. You can sit at the campfire in a t-shirt and shorts in total comfort. If you search back, there's a thread on the lean-to with lots of details and options.

I encourage you to look back through previous threads here on FCP.com for other discussions on this. We've had several of them.

Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
iloverollins
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Postby iloverollins » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:25 pm

One thing to add...if you're tenting...I put our lantern in the tent prior to getting ready for bed. Usually for like a half hour or so. It knocks down the dampness and adds a bit of heat. I carefully put the handle down when I set it in on the tent floor making sure there is good clearance around it. Then when I am ready to get in bed, I place it outside the tent away and turn it off! Never falling asleep with it on!
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:08 pm

If you are tenting there are several things. First get a good tent that vents well. Second insulation between you and the ground helps out a lot. The loft of a sleeping bag is lost on the part you lay on. To help out pile leaves or pine needles under the tent which will provide more insulation and help prevent moisture from gathering underneath. On real cold nights with tents it is good to even pile leaves around the outside of the tent to reduce the air circulation. Hopefully if your tent is good enough (3 or 4 season) it will not get dewy inside. You can created a reflector fire with some aluminum foil formed as a back fence in the fireplace to get more heat towards your tent. And finally anything that inhibits wind from hitting your tent will help For some RVs particularly older ones, they had convection furnaces that don't require a battery to work a fan, so just need propane in the tanks. . If you have an RV it is always good to have some vents partially open to prevent dew from collecting inside then dripping and making you cold.

Probably the bigger problem in June are the black flies. Placing a mosquito coil in the tent in a suitable container for about 1/2 hour prior to going to bed will fend off the black flies from getting in there. I just put that in my vestibule which is a bit safer than putting something burning on the floor of your tent.

Also: avoid wearing clothes you wore during the day to bed especially socks. They are damp and make you cold. Put on a dry pair.
humormeplease
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 39+
Camping Equipment: RAM 1500 & Shasta 19'
Your Real Name (optional): John n Susan
Camp Sign Name (optional): Lazy Loon Inn

Postby humormeplease » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Hug...a 2 person sleeping bag will keep you toasty :-P
BJJINNY
Your Real Name (optional): Johnny