Food and Bears

Discussion about camping gear you recommend or have questions about, or camping techniques that have worked well for you. Maybe even gear that is well suited to the Fish Creek experience.
Anne&Bernie
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Food and Bears

Postby Anne&Bernie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:01 am

We are guilty of setting up our food coolers in the "kitchen tent" and leaving them out at night. The sides of the tent zip down at night but I know it is stupid.

This year we got the bear flyer when checking in at Rollins. It says to keep the food in the car. I am wondering how you handle your food storage while tent camping at Rollins or Fish Creek. Do you keep your coolers in the car?

:baconandeggs: :booboo: :baconandeggs:

Thanks,

Anne
C&S
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Sylvie & Chris

Re: Food and Bears

Postby C&S » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 am

We put our coolers and all food & drink as well as food prep items like pots and pans, in the trunk (we're tent campers) overnight at any campground we visit. Some parks we've been to are very strict about the subject and hand out fines and evictions for infractions such as leaving a water bottle out. In fact, some places do not let you have things like that laying around unattended during the day, ie: if you leave the campground for the day, you must not leave behind anything that will attract animals.

It takes just a minute or two and I figure it lessens the chance critters will make a mess of our stuff as much as it keeps them from being habituated to hand outs.

~sylvie
roberteconnors
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 8
Camping Equipment: Tent, Pop-Up
Your Real Name (optional): ROBERT E. CONNORS
Camp Sign Name (optional): The Purist

Postby roberteconnors » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:03 pm

There certainly are bears that visit Fish Creek. About ten years ago I was cooking a fish chowder on Site C2
Click for more info!

and was visited by a bear that night. I had locked all of the remaining stew in my car, but the smell still caused an unwanted visitation.
palmprincipe
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 11 years
Camping Equipment: Pahaque Tent & Screen House
Your Real Name (optional): Richard & Patti

Postby palmprincipe » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:54 pm

At RP we put our open food or anything with a smell in the car at night. Closed cans and sealed food stay in the "camp kitchen". If we leave the site for a day trip we do not bother since we figure there will be no large critters walking around with all the people out and about. We did see a racoon family at dusk a few times, but never a bear. Our site is always on the water and never backing up to the forest.
CTDave
Your Real Name (optional): Dave Benore

Postby CTDave » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Is it safe to use the fridge in a hybrid trailer? I would worry about :( a bear trying to come in through the tent ends.
Last edited by CTDave on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PS600REVX
Your Real Name (optional): Paul

Postby PS600REVX » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:52 pm

almost no chance of seeing bears at FC so you certainly have no worries when it comes to your fridge. It's weird, anywhere near Old Forge, Nicks Lake, Limekiln, etc they are running all over the place and at FC, nada.
CTDave
Your Real Name (optional): Dave Benore

Postby CTDave » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 pm

PS600REVX wrote:almost no chance of seeing bears at FC so you certainly have no worries when it comes to your fridge. It's weird, anywhere near Old Forge, Nicks Lake, Limekiln, etc they are running all over the place and at FC, nada.

Great news, thank you for your quick response.
weR-Podpeople
Your Real Name (optional): Heidi and Kevin

Postby weR-Podpeople » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:37 pm

There are bears at Rollins, My son left a grill on the fireplace last year and got a visitor after cooking pork roast, and there was one running through the campgrounds a few years before then. So even though they aren't common place they are around. You are most likely safe but should use common sense precautions and follow basic bear safety.
amdfes
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: Tent & 1990 Astro, 3 Kayaks
Your Real Name (optional): Anna, Brian and Crew
Camp Sign Name (optional): Fesmire's

Postby amdfes » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:19 am

I think there have been more bears around Rollins than FCP. That said we have stay at FCP in a tent and our in-laws in a pop-up, not very secure. We put our coolers up in the back of our truck with a tarp over it, they put there's in the back of the SUV. s If we have dirty dishes left we will put them in the vehicle as they smell more, same with garbage. What you really might want to worry about is the mini-bears...CHIPMUNKS!!! We left for a day one time and left potatoes out and the chipmunks had a great time. If bears were a big concern they would tell you to lock up perfumes, lotions and soap as many of those smell like food. I believe we were told that when we stayed at Eighth Lake the one year, a bit of a pain to have to pack up food and bathroom supplies all the time! But yes down around Old Forge they have a big problem with them.

Anna

Return to “Camping Gear and Techniques”