DEC Campgrounds Now Reopen for 2020 Reservations

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

DEC Campgrounds Now Reopen for 2020 Reservations

Postby CampADK » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:38 am

In case you missed it, Reserve America reopened reservations this morning at 8:00:00am. Unfortunately if you didn't get a site, your chances at this point are slim as the campgroun pretty much booked up for the rest of the summer within the first 10 minutes.
PS600REVX
Your Real Name (optional): Paul

Re: DEC Campgrounds Now Reopen for 2020 Reservations

Postby PS600REVX » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Hopefully people coming back post about any changes or things to be aware of. I’m assuming no vendors will be allowed in.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Nope. No vendors this year. According to campers reports, not much is really different than any other year. Bathrooms and showers about the same as other years. No mention of COVID policies at the gates or postings on bathrooms etc. Campers are just aware of social distancing, some are wearing masks at bathrooms/showers but not many. People are good about lining up at bathrooms. Its been pretty empty although since reservations have been reopened the campground will likely get fuller as of this weekend. Since nationally COVID numbers are still rising in the US, the Canadian/US border is now closed indefinitely so Canadians like me won't likely be camping in the ADK's for the rest of the season which will free up lots of sites. I was expecting to be camping at Fish Creek/Rollins by July 25th, now that is all blown away so back to cancelling more trips to the ADKs... maddening since New York has done better than any other state in getting things under control... Enjoy!
PS600REVX

Postby PS600REVX » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:45 pm

Good to hear on FC. I’d hate to be harassed the entire time as I’m going up Tues to Mon next week. And I’m equally disappointed about the border. I have 10 prime sites at Grundy and Killbear for our 2 park hop mid-August that I certainly won’t be able to do until next year with my group.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:48 pm

I'll be at Killbear for 1 night next Sunday followed by 1 night at Grundy on the Monday, 3 at Killarney after that. Pog Lake this coming Monday for 4 nights... several others. Just back from Charleston Lake today and last week Bon Echo. Have you cancelled Grundy and Killbear in August yet?
PS600REVX

Postby PS600REVX » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:51 pm

CampADK wrote:I'll be at Killbear for 1 night next Sunday followed by 1 night at Grundy on the Monday, 3 at Killarney after that. Pog Lake this coming Monday for 4 nights... several others. Just back from Charleston Lake today and last week Bon Echo. Have you cancelled Grundy and Killbear in August yet?

Nope, was waiting until the last minute as there are no penalty fees this summer. I probably will once they inevitably extend the closure next week.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:54 pm

Hmmm... might be interested! Do you need a site at Fish Creek or Rollins? I'm in the same boat. I have Rollins 202 for 11 nights as of July 26th and Fish Creek Site 187
Click for more info!

for 2 weeks starting Aug 5. My son has 187 for a week starting Aug 19.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:56 pm

10 sites at Killbear, 10 sites at Grundy? or 5 sites at each? Big group!
PS600REVX

Postby PS600REVX » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:33 pm

CampADK wrote:10 sites at Killbear, 10 sites at Grundy? or 5 sites at each? Big group!

5 at each under my control, 10 at Killbear total as not everyone is doing both. Yep, We have a large camping/vacation group. Last yr at FC we took up Site 219
Click for more info!

-231 for 9 days in July. Just last week 11 sites in southern PA near Ohiopyle for whitewater rafting etc. It was great. Most Killbear sites are booked Tuesday 8/11 to Monday 8/17. My spreadsheet is in my office but I believe we have 341, 350, 353, 362 and 367. Thanks for the offer on FC and Rollins, but we’ll be at FC next week 7/14-20 so not looking to go back that soon. We’re thinking of using the border closing as an “opportunity” to hit Maine for 10 days in August not camping. Always wanted to spend some time there, but since it’s more of a summer destination and we’re always camping, it never worked out. Let me know about Killbear.
Last edited by PS600REVX on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PS600REVX

Postby PS600REVX » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:35 pm

I love Killbear. Will hate to miss it this year. Bums me out even thinking about it. :|
cf06adk
Years at Fish Creek: 24
Camping Equipment: Tent, Screenhouse, Boat

Postby cf06adk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:28 pm

I just checked and there was a site in the low 100' available two weekends from now. Someone must have cancelled because it showed the whole week available for booking.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:58 pm

No doubt you will see lots of cancellations. I have cancelled a few so far. Between me and my son we have 3 reservations at Rollins and Fish Creek to cancel in July/August as our borders will likely be closed indefinitely (perhaps until 2021) while numbers are out of control in so many states. Lots of Ontario /Quebec campers are in the same boat. Sad considering our low numbers in Ontario and NY has been doing better than any other state in getting control of it.
BigDaveyL
Years at Fish Creek: 1
Your Real Name (optional): Dave

Postby BigDaveyL » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:40 am

I think part of the problem is that COVID in NY peaked early and we've bent the curve as Cuomo put it, I believe there was one point where NY (specifically NYC) had a disproportionate amount of cases in the US.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”