black bears

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
foresthawk
Years at Fish Creek: 34
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tom
Camp Sign Name (optional): American flag

black bears

Postby foresthawk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 am

Hello,
Has anyone observed a black bear within Fish Creek campground?
We have been camping there since the 80s and never seen one or signs of them.
Would be interested in any observations or historic information. Thanks.
cf06adk
Years at Fish Creek: 24
Camping Equipment: Tent, Screenhouse, Boat

Re: black bears

Postby cf06adk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Not personally, but every year I hear stories. There's always a bear warning at the front gate.

They're definitely out there. Especially near the sites with the woods across from them.

It would be cool to put a trail cam in the area of recent sightings.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:53 pm

Very rare occurrence.

Was a small bear seen twice last year but it was relocated. Prior to that... maybe 5-10 years ago? In my 18 years at Fish Creek camping throughout the seasons I have never seen a bear but did hear of one that walked through a kitchen shelter on Site 180
Click for more info!

back around 2005.

We never worry about them at Fish Creek.
ratherbcamping
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Camping Equipment: Avalanche 5th Wheel

Postby ratherbcamping » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:07 pm

A few years back my husband was out mountain biking - was returning back to Fish Creek on the road from Rollins - when a black bear and two cubs crossed the road right in front of him. He slammed on the brakes and fortunately mama & cubs kept going. He got a great picture though!
cf06adk
Years at Fish Creek: 24
Camping Equipment: Tent, Screenhouse, Boat

Postby cf06adk » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:27 pm

ratherbcamping wrote:A few years back my husband was out mountain biking - was returning back to Fish Creek on the road from Rollins - when a black bear and two cubs crossed the road right in front of him. He slammed on the brakes and fortunately mama & cubs kept going. He got a great picture though!

Can you post the picture?
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 49
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Postby d_s_144 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:02 pm

Back in the late 70's- early 80's there was a cub in a tree on our site. My grandfather was feeding him marshmallows, he would scurry down the tree, grab the marshmallow and scurry back up. When DEC showed up, they informed us that his mother had been killed a day prior and he was orphaned. DEC tranquilized him in the tree and the poor thing fell to the around, probably 15-20 feet.

The next exposure to a bear was when DEC experimented with putting the dumpsters near the road at each bathroom. The bears and raccoons thought they were wonderful playgrounds. Two cubs were stuck in a dumpster until DEC tranquilized them too.

I have seen them rummaging on the road at Horseshoe Pond as well. My father-in-law had a camp through the second and third gates after you cross the railroad tracks when the road turns left by where the unimproved campsites are located at the west side of the pond..

Then the big spot for sightings was the road near the landfill at Paradox. The bears come out every nigh at about dusk, and the big ones, not just the cubs. They spend their afternoon feeding at the dump, then make the short walk through the woods to the road. It's hilarious to watch idiots throw candy bars and marshmallows on the hood of their car, then act surprised when the bear climbs up on the car to grab it. What did you think was going to happen, bonehead?! The one thing I recall explicitly is the bears liked the white marshmallows, not the colored varieties. I believe the local authorities tried to stop people from congregating on the road, but I do not know how they fared. Amazing creatures. Good luck!
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:48 pm

Great stories! Thanks for sharing.

The only bear we have seen was one hit by a car just north of Paul Smiths last spring.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”