2019 Campfire Wood

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
BillRan82
Your Real Name (optional): Bill

2019 Campfire Wood

Postby BillRan82 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:46 pm

We'll be up in August for our annual trip. Last year the wood guy, Gene I think, told me it was his last year. He said that in 2017 too though. I have one of the many cards he's given me over the year in my camper, but never called for wood since he is always making rounds. Does anyone know if he's still in business? If he isn't making the rounds, has anyone called for wood this year? I don't know where I would go to pick it up. I could just buy the red bags from the main gate, but we'll be there for a week and I'd rather get one big load all at once.

Any advice or tips?

(first post on here, but I've been reading for years).

Thanks!
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: 2019 Campfire Wood

Postby CampADK » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:33 pm

For a volume purchase: If you are coming in from the south, I'd suggest John/George at the bottom of the hill just outside of Tupper (North end). Not sure how dry it is this year. There is another place coming in from the north before you get to Paul Smiths as well in Mccolloms (about 20 min north of Fish Creek on route 30).
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 49
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Postby d_s_144 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:55 am

If you tell George you want the seasoned wood, he'll generally point you in the right direction. The stuff stacked right by his driveway is usually pretty green. The 'good stuff' is more toward the rear of his property (back where he splits it), but he'll let you grab it. Happy camping!!!

On my way to FCP on 7/28! Can't wait!
BillRan82
Your Real Name (optional): Bill

Postby BillRan82 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I might give George another try. 4-5 years ago I bought a bunch from him for the week and it was all green. I've been hesitant to buy from him ever since.

Happy Camping!

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”