Reservation Issues

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
El Jigro
Years at Fish Creek: 13
Camping Equipment: 5th Wheel & Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Marc & Melissa Driggs
Camp Sign Name (optional): MM Driggs & Sons

Re: Reservation Issues

Postby El Jigro » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:18 am

CampADK wrote:I don't know which time server they are using exactly. I always ensure my clock on my Mac is reset to be as accurate as possible and I double check it against the Emerald Time app on my iPhone.

I'm surprised you don't get the reCaptcha Box on Firefox. I do. Maybe you didn't today but they will be appearing! Maybe you have an older browser? So many variables...

The real kiss of death is the additional image challenge box that may appear. The whole reCaptcha issue is very complex. There are many many reasons why you may or may not get the additional image challenge which often requires multiple attempts. It will put and end to your attempt to get a site at 9am if they start to appear. You have to limit your prep leading up to 9am to reduce the chance you get the dreaded image challenge because Google flags you as not acting like a normal browser would when interacting with the page. They even analyze mouse movement which may not look right and you get flagged!

As far as clicking right at 9:00:00am goes, you are already too late! I usually having 3 devices/windows setup and start clicking boom/boom/boom at 8:59:55am to increase your odds. That allows the delay between you and the RA server.

Those with the best chance in my opinion would have several mobile devices using the RA app and lots of fingers. You have one shot on each device. If you are on a desk top and keep clicking. As soon as you click once it will likely already be to late by the time the browser refreshes and you try again. Besides the Google reCaptcha may suddenly present you with the dreaded image challenge and you are toast. Setting up multiple browser windows can also trigger reCaptcha to spit out challenges and again you are toast. The RA app won't present you with reCaptcha so that is a good way to go if you have access some old phones laying around. Otherwise get friends and family in to help.

Also an important thing is DO NOT GIVE UP AT 9:00AM! Someone may get a site but for many reasons may end up not completing the booking. Keep trying and especially between 9:15 and 9:25ish you might see a site or two come back up available. I have done that myself and friends as well. RA gives someone 15 min to complete a booking. That person may start the process or abort at say 9:02am. RA keeps extending the timeout to 15min after the last site interation. So if someone starts the process and the last interaction is at 9:03 then that site will come back open at 9:18am. Those who are patient could pick up that site at 9:18am.

Today for example Site 168
Click for more info!

came back available at about 9:15. Someone discovered it a few minutes later. Best to keep trying every 20 seconds or so. Using a browser window to just query on all available sites for your date will allow you to keep checking without getting the reCaptcha challenges over and over. If you see the site you want suddenly appear you just click on that one and book it.

People abandon booking sites for lots of reasons including: failed to login, computer crashes, website issues, browser issues, their friend got a better site, members of their groups got sites in a different area, nobody else in their group got sites or enough sites and will try for another date, their credit card is maxed out, etc etc.

Thats it for now lol.

Good luck!

Dave,
YOU. ARE. THE. MAN!!! took your advice and voila - success! Actually reserved the one site I've been trying to get for 4 years, not to mention got a reservation at all.. Thank you!
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 49
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Postby d_s_144 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:34 pm

He shoots, he SCORES!!!
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:18 am

Another thing, there is a timed interval for the robot check. It appears to be between 2 and 3 minutes. Wonder if this will be the great equalizer for reserving a site. The way I see would be to have several people (rather than several computers with one person) apply the reservation. Should make the people reserving for Yosemite happy since there has been sites on the black market sold by those who swept up sites via a bot and then charged through the roof for reservations. Just like how anyone can get a ticket to a concert now.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:47 am

Yes the timeout is 2 minutes. More family members and friends and multiple devices win. Also the RA app doesn't require all the reCaptcha bot checking. Timing is important too. I am working on a lengthy Reservation Tips section which will appear on the NY State Campsite Photos website shortly. So many people discussing and asking questions on the various FB camping groups over and over.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby kkirsch » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 am

I was just session timed out on Reserve america. I know the robot check is for 2 minutes. Does anyone know the session duration? There is no warning on this and will appear normal until you hit the booking button then it tells you the session has ended and you need to log in again. Furthermore the robot check still works the same even after timed out on the session.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:30 am

On all our devices I setup and then start clicking each 'I'm Not a Robot box (reCaptcha) at about 8:58:15. Timeout is 2 minutes. This gives me enough time to deal with image challenges if they appear, but is within the reCaptcha timeout.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:31 am

Also I do a screen refresh on each device about 5 minutes beforehand on each device to ensure the session hasn't timed out.
kps7987
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin

Postby kps7987 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:43 am

Is there any way on Reserve America t reserve 2 sites for one person?
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:33 pm

You can reserve 2 sites but not at the same time and the total number of days during July + August can't exceed 14 days on the one account.

If you are trying to book 2 sites at the same time then book the second site under the other person name. If you are perhaps a family and need two sites then book one site under your name, and one site under your spouses name.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby kkirsch » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:34 pm

I agree with Dave. There have been to many vacant sites when we get there, which means many people are reserving then canceling. I even wonder if I can even get a site for next summer with the amount of people I must be competing against. I do reserve for 2 weeks and stay two weeks, no fooling around with extra days or working the system. Again I will sound the horn "9 months in advance is way to long to make any reservations. 6 month would be the max and would prefer 3 or 4. At least then we are in the new year and people would know with a lot more certainty when they can vacation."
jnksmommy
Years at Fish Creek: 5
Camping Equipment: Rockwood Roo 19
Camp Sign Name (optional): JNKSMOMMY

Postby jnksmommy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:28 am

Trying to understand …a handful of sites were showing available starting today (ie Site 149
Click for more info!

, 209). I checked yesterday afternoon. Now I'm on ReserveAmerica and all those sites are gone and it's not 9am yet. I don't get it ...anyone else run into this?
crowny21
Years at Fish Creek: 5
Your Real Name (optional): crowny

Postby crowny21 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:43 am

I find it funny how there were 9 sites on the pond side of A loop open on the fifth of July and in a matter of one second they were all gone and reserved for the same amount of days. I had multiple devices open for different sites and they were all gone at the same time. This is the first time in 12 years I didn't get a site for that time period. something fish is happening and having to reserve on a site based outta California for a campsite in NY is a joke. I think local people who pay taxes in this state should have first dibs or at least a bigger window to reserve. I also think if you reserve two weeks and cancel one week that you have to cancel the whole reservation and start over.
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 49
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Postby d_s_144 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:25 pm

I agree, whole-heartedly. Unfortunately, many people I know who booked sites for next summer did exactly that: booked a week in advance of their target week, with the expectation of cancelling the first week as soon as the cancellation window opens. To me, this approach does nothing more than limit the transparency of the available site options. It's a total joke and incredibly annoying. It is also why NYSDEC seems to think the park is never booked at capacity, so they close the park earlier and allow less access to sites later in the year. Nobody wins, everyone loses.

If your original check-in date is cancelled, your entire reservation should be cancelled (or allow a shorter reservation, just maintain the original check-in date). If you do not arrive within 24 hours of your reservation check-in date, your reservation should be cancelled (barring REAL extenuating circumstances, provided in advance, of course). Effectively, half of FCP is booked right now because of this short-sighted approach. The 'other half' will open as a trickle here and there as the over-consumers clean up their mess next spring.

This issue is easily remedied, and as professional solutions expert, I have sent my thoughts to RA a number of times. I have offered my insights free of charge and have already provided documentation outlining the obvious problem and a clear approach to a resolution. I have worked with companies many times the size of RA, and this issue can be remedied with one developer for about 24 hours. Then, POOF, all of this nonsense goes away. Wake up RA, you are doing the camping public a huge disservice and it is easily avoidable. WAKE UP!
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:14 pm

From what I see and hear over recent years is that the popular parks like Fish Creek are always 100% booked and paid for. Its just that a lot of those paid for sites are empty because people never bother to cancel or arrive late/leave early. I'd never try to arrive as a walkup in the summer months like 10 years ago. They usually have zero sites for walkups, even though 20% of the sites are empty.

I would think that RA doesn't make up the rules, that would be NYS parks/DEC that make up the policies. Could be wrong but I'd think RA is simply the provider of the tools to reserve sites. They must make a ton of money on reservations, changes and cancellations these days.

This year the cost to reserve a site, make a change or cancel went down from $9 to $7.25. Likely because they were on average making such a high average commission on sites with all the fiddling about people do,

They try to accommodate those that don't always know their exact vacation days 9 months in advance. There is no perfect system and other states and Canadian provinces have the same issue. Any changes would have a great effect on some portion of the camping population which would result in a lot of unhappy campers.

It's all those paid for yet unused days that are the biggest problem when 20-25% of sites sit empty during prime season yet they are 100% paid for. Unfortunately once you arrive, if you leave early for any reason, even for a medical issue there is no way to put the site back into inventory as its already paid for. Been there, done that, watched our site sit empty for a full week after I had an injury. And yes I let them know I would not be returning and I knew I wasn't going to get any money back.

There is an ever increasing camping population, same number of campgrounds/sites which make it worst each year. And in the past when there wasn't so much competition the percent of empty sites was less so the reality is there are much less occupied sites then in the past yet more campers. The more competition the more desperate campers get and the more we see empty sites.

No easy fix without making it worst for certain segments of campers.
PS600REVX
Your Real Name (optional): Paul

Postby PS600REVX » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:11 am

Despite the possibility of getting yelled at, I’ll be releasing Site 251
Click for more info!

&254 which each are booked 7/11-7/22. I think I can do this as early as 10/29 so if interested I can coordinate with you. I have 237 & 238 & 239 all booked for 7/14-7/22 so I don’t need these sites. It’s a game trying to get these sites. It’s how the system is set up so you play or you don’t. Like Dave said, when you cancel on the website the sites are snatched up immediately so the sites we all see open are paid for and I can’t see a realistic solution to that issue, paying and not being there. Could be worse. Ontario parks are awesome and I hit them often and there you can book 23 days straight :shock: That’s tough to overcome and getting a site at Killbear every year is an adventure.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”