Well, the calendar says FCP is OPEN!!!!

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 47
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Well, the calendar says FCP is OPEN!!!!

Postby d_s_144 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 am

However, it is snowing here as I look out my office window in Troy, NY, and is a balmy 29 degrees F. Everyone knows snow is ILLEGAL after Masters weekend. What an unbelievable weather pattern we've been in for the last month or so. What the heck is going on around here?! I'm over it, let's move on to spring at some point soon. Please, Mother Nature, I love you and respect you immensely, but this is just going too far!
d_s_144

Re: Well, the calendar says FCP is OPEN!!!!

Postby d_s_144 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:45 pm

I just checked out the Chapel Island cam (thanks Dave!), and to my great dismay, Upper Saranac Lake still appears to be locked up in the icy grip of dismal, cold, crappy weather. The forecast looks, well, crappy also. WHEN DOES THIS END? At this rate, not only will there be no swimming on Memorial Day, there may not be any leaves on the darn trees. I guess Mother Nature is letting us know how small we truly are. If I didn't know that Global Warming was scientifically proven, this 'spring' would change my thought process. At least it didn't snow today...oh wait, it did.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Van Hovenberg Cross Country ski center over in Lake Placid is stil open with 30km of groomed cross country ski trails. Winter hasn’t let up on the northern ADKs yet! The Hoel Pond webcam just north of Fish Creek also shows the pond still iced over. Winter still holding on!
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:03 pm

Ice out is happening in the southern Adirondacks. The Sacandaga River into the Great Sacandaga Lake has been clear for a couple of weeks. The GSL around Northville is clear down to Northampton Beach Campground and is working it's way down to Mayfield.

It got up to 64 F here today so the melting got a good boost. The lake has risen over 2 feet in just the last week which means there's clear water on all the shores now. It's only a matter of a week or two, and the GSL will be pretty much ice free.

And ice out will work its way north pretty quickly now.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
d_s_144

Postby d_s_144 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:56 pm

I just checked the Chapel Island cam again, and while there still appears to be a thin coat of ice on the southern bay of USL, it is far better than the last time I checked. We finally have buds on the trees in my area, I live in Saratoga Springs, NY. The forecast says we may see 80 degrees next week! It's 51 and raining right now. July 8th can't get here fast enough! See you on the Ponds!
d_s_144

Postby d_s_144 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Checked the USL Chapel Island Cam...it's ICE-OUT! It was 88 degrees in the Capital Region yesterday. It's hard to believe it snowed at my house last Tuesday. Spring has finally sprung!
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Thu May 03, 2018 5:33 pm

d_s_144

Postby d_s_144 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:45 pm

It is only 33 days until I make my annual pilgrimage to FCP for the 48th consecutive year! I came back to NY during my military service solely so I wouldn't ruin my consecutive-year streak, and that was over 20 years ago! Where has the time gone? Anyway, busy cleaning, waxing and making electronic upgrades to the boat, servicing my tow vehicle, washing sleeping bags, stockpiling fishing gear, building a playlist, collecting essential/non-essential camping items and planning the menu.

I was hoping to hear from a few of the lucky early-season campers, but haven't seen much activity on here yet. The kids are still in school, so I assume it'll ramp up in the next few weeks. Hopefully, not much has changed in my favorite place on the planet, good or bad. Looking forward to the sights and scents that make this place so amazingly unique and loved by so many campers, old and new. It won't be long now!

Happy camping!!!!
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:38 pm

I used to post a lot more, just busy with NY State Campsite Photos, keeping the websites running and of course camping! Hoping to get back to working on this site more in the future.

Was there Memorial Weekend. Pretty busy. All sites were booked but some no shows. Weather didn't look all that great but for those of us who went we were rewarded with decent weather indeed!

Black flies were out. Some areas out of the wind they really swammed at times (but didn't seem to be biting yet). The black flies were brutal in areas of Rollins! Personally I noticed more mosquitoes than black flies. No biggie though.

Quite a few sites are closed this year for 'rehabitation'.

Not much else to report. Hickoks is open and still for sale. Price dropped too!

Trading Post is well stocked and Phil will be opening the cafe this year soon.

Katie is already doing ice/ice cream runs on the weekends.

Jean is doing his wood runs on weekends (maybe midweek?). $9 this year for a rack.

Will be back there next week for the TearUp! Going to be a big year for our group. We're up to about 135 people this year!

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”