Anyone use a hybrid trailer at FCP?

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
karen230
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Anyone use a hybrid trailer at FCP?

Postby karen230 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:16 am

Hi, so this is the first year we are hauling our trailer to FCP, we normally have a rental unit delivered. Really nervous about camping in our unit for a week on just battery power (we have never done that, lol) but not sure why since we rent units and it is always fine. Anyway, any tips for camping in FCP with a hybrid trailer? I am a little concerned about the amount of rain we can see at FCP and our tent ends holding up. When we took it for the first week long trip last year, it never rained, so they are still not tested. We have had rain when we camped but nothing like we can see in FCP so if anyone has camped there in a hybrid, I would love to hear from you.
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Re: Anyone use a hybrid trailer at FCP?

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:06 pm

karen230 wrote:Hi, so this is the first year we are hauling our trailer to FCP, we normally have a rental unit delivered. Really nervous about camping in our unit for a week on just battery power (we have never done that, lol) but not sure why since we rent units and it is always fine. Anyway, any tips for camping in FCP with a hybrid trailer? I am a little concerned about the amount of rain we can see at FCP and our tent ends holding up. When we took it for the first week long trip last year, it never rained, so they are still not tested. We have had rain when we camped but nothing like we can see in FCP so if anyone has camped there in a hybrid, I would love to hear from you.

Lots of pop-ups and hybrids there all the time. There's nothing really different or unique about them at FCP from other campgrounds. Functionally, pop-ups and hybrids are pretty much the same. Set them up well and the rain won't matter.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 am

We have a hybrid and have camped for many years using only batteries for 2 weeks. One battery will last for about 10 to 12 days. The trick is to convert things that run off the battery to self contained. The smoke and CO2 sensors are big users since most trailer manufacturers use cheap ones. So I converted them to the type we use in the house and replace the internal batteries once a year. Second, use a portable radio with an internal battery. Though using the trailers and not leaving it on all day does not use to much battery. We also only turn on the water pump on when we need to use the internal faucets. Converting lights to LED goes a long way to conserving battery power and using solar powered lights for decorations really helps. We also use our laptop to watch movies on rainy nights and can charge that when we drive the car. (driving to Placid will charge that from dead to full). With this no generator noise or exhaust smell. YOu can get a battery charged overnight at Hickocks for last I know $7.00.
For the bed areas there will be a build up of dew in the morning. Having a vent open or opening the top of the window flaps will reduce that and if you put a small tarp over the bed areas will eliminate dew entirely.
Siriustoo

Postby Siriustoo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:31 pm

We have camped for almost 10 years at fish creek in a hybrid. First a Jayco 19H and then a Jayco X23F. I have a small Honda 2000 generator to recharge two batteries. We generally use portable lights and use the public showers so the batteries are fine for several days. We bought a Zamp 160W panel hoping to reduce the use of the generator, however with many of the sites shaded we never did have much luck with it. It can get pretty cold at night even in the middle of July. It was into the 40's the first week of July two years ago. Bring warm blankets for the hybrid.
Siriustoo

Postby Siriustoo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Forgot to mention that the stitching on a hybrid needs to be "seasoned". Spray water on all of the stitching several times before heading out camping. The first time we used the X23F we had some water leaking around the seams and called the dealer. They pointed out I the Jayco manual that this is normal and once exposed to water the threads will expand and seal.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby kkirsch » Mon May 01, 2017 12:50 pm

hybrid "ends" are like tents and subsequently act like tents. Seasoning does not enter into it. Some manufacturers tape seal their stitching and some don't. If you experience leaking that stops it is because the stitching has swelled during the rain and that your seams are not taped. There are various products out there that seal seams on tents and if your hybrid leak at seams then pick up some sealer for tents and apply it to the dry seams on your trailer. I actually use flooring water based polyurathane but a product meant for tents should work for you better. Also another thing. Some manufacturers have the tent ends sitting in a grove that goes around the top part of the opening. AS the trailer gets older this grove may open up. This can be fixed by using a piece of wood and a hammer going around and pinching this grove closed (not all the way but just enough to hold the tent ends in the grove.
karen230
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby karen230 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:44 pm

kkirsch wrote:We have a hybrid and have camped for many years using only batteries for 2 weeks. One battery will last for about 10 to 12 days. The trick is to convert things that run off the battery to self contained. The smoke and CO2 sensors are big users since most trailer manufacturers use cheap ones. So I converted them to the type we use in the house and replace the internal batteries once a year. Second, use a portable radio with an internal battery. Though using the trailers and not leaving it on all day does not use to much battery. We also only turn on the water pump on when we need to use the internal faucets. Converting lights to LED goes a long way to conserving battery power and using solar powered lights for decorations really helps. We also use our laptop to watch movies on rainy nights and can charge that when we drive the car. (driving to Placid will charge that from dead to full). With this no generator noise or exhaust smell. YOu can get a battery charged overnight at Hickocks for last I know $7.00.
For the bed areas there will be a build up of dew in the morning. Having a vent open or opening the top of the window flaps will reduce that and if you put a small tarp over the bed areas will eliminate dew entirely.

Thanks for the Hickocks tip! Didn't know we could do that. DH was hoping I would "cave" and agree to him buying a generator but I cannot justify spending the money since FCP is the only place that we camp that we can't "plug in". We generally do leave the flaps open a little on the tent ends but maybe we will see about getting a tarp to put over them as well.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby kkirsch » Thu May 11, 2017 1:31 pm

The starcraft we have is just over 20 years old. We purchase a RV deep cycle battery that will last for us about a week and half. Then i usually swap that with the trolling motor battery for the last couple days or get the battery charged at hickocks. As said, the biggest eaters of battery life are the water pump and various smoke / gas sensors which I unhooked and switched to individual units with their own power source. Only switching on the pump when needed and switching the rest brought us from a 3 to 4 day battery life to the week and half. Recently we switched to led lights which should help further. The really big problem is when we need the heater. Granted we use sleeping bags for sleep but on occasion the heater becomes necessary. Originally trailers had convection furnaces which for a trailer of 24 ft or less produces plenty of heat to even drive you out of the trailer, without a fan. For this trailer I switched the fan of the forced air unit to two fans from a desktop PC. Both of them draw less than 1/4 of the power the nasty fan in the trailer originally did and produce a very quiet and nice air flow. Don't expect anyone to try that and we have only used it twice in the past 20 years. A little brewing of hot tea heats the trail up just as well. Our problem is the trailer which was not constructed very well. It was not caulked well which allowed water to leak in and rot the floors out. I ended up installing a subfloor under the original and what a nasty job that was. My argument is that trailer manufacturers just don't make any self sufficient trailer anymore that don't need a generator. It is sad that you just can't get away from the sound of lawn mowers (generators) and the smell of exhaust fumes when camping.
karen230
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby karen230 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:10 am

I spoke with DH about the tent ends and he isn't concerned about them possibly leaking since we have been in rain before and not had a problem. I am a little concerned since I am not so sure the tent ends have been tested to the point of a rain in FCP, we all know it can really come down.

I guess we will find out soon enough, but needless to say, I did plant the tarp for the ends seed in his brain. Hopefully he will figure out how he wants to do it before we leave, lol.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby kkirsch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Pick up some (Never Wet) and spray the outside of the zippers and such on the tent ends. They are the only place we have ever had a problem except for dew on the inside and only venting will help that.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”