First Time

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
adkjoe
Your Real Name (optional): Joe Geronimo

First Time

Postby adkjoe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:32 pm

My boys and I will be making our first visit to Fish Creek end of July. Very excited to explore and canoe, keep an eye out for our cownoe!

https://flic.kr/p/zLBmdd
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Re: First Time

Postby mistermatt1984 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:13 am

That cownoe is awesome. Enjoy it. This is the first year in 25 years that I don't think I am going to make it up there. Once you go once, you'll never want to miss it again!
adkjoe
Your Real Name (optional): Joe Geronimo

Postby adkjoe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:13 pm

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it. Very excited to make our first trip. Just came back from a camping trip to the 1,000 Islands. Kring Point State Park most sites are on the water as well..

Joe
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 47
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Postby d_s_144 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:19 am

You will love it at Fish Creek! The area is abound with paddling opportunities. Do yourselves a favor and head up Fish Creek (the actual creek at the boat launch. No motors allowed up there. Tons of flora and fauna, light current, multiple smaller ponds (Copperas, Little Fish Creek, Floodwood (the largest of the ponds on that route)) to explore, portages, camp sites to stop and eat lunch in Floodwood, and you can get all the way to Rollins Pond (although the current is usually swift flowing out of Rollins and it is a narrow cut through there. Great fishing too. Follensby Pond can be accessed via a channel north of Hickocks. And of course, the St. Regis area is a short haul as well. You will not be disappointed. You can get to Upper Saranac Lake via a channel as well, but be wary of the wind velocity and direction. It can get a little tough out there at times.

Get the Cow moving! Have a great trip!
Lazjr
Your Real Name (optional): Lazarus, Carol

Postby Lazjr » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 pm

I agree with the suggestion to go up Fish Creek. I take my kayak up there each year and one time was rewarded with having a loon swim past my boat underwater! One of the coolest things I've seen.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”