Closing Weekend 2012

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
Sunny campers
Years at Fish Creek: 9
Camping Equipment: travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): John and Lori

Closing Weekend 2012

Postby Sunny campers » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:29 pm

First off, I would like to thank Dave for this site. So glad I found it. I'm trying hard not to gobble it up so I can have something to read and dream on during the upcoming winter.

Secondly, my hubby and I are heading up to FCP this weekend to enjoy this cool fresh air and have a little adventure. We did have our trailer all winterized but we just can't help ourselves...had to go and camp one more time this year. Weather sounds good so the packing began. Now our Sunline "Sunny" trailer is unwinterized he he (we did this last year - you would think we would learn) :lol:

I do have a question...how are the waters for kayaking this time of year at FCP? Frozen or kayakable? Unsure if we should throw them on the roof. I do love fall kayaking and our lake (Lake George) is still boatable but 2 hours north of us can be different. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks again for this site. Just thrilled to be a part of a forum of like-minded people. Nothing like camping, the outdoors and Fish Creek Pond!!!

Lori :D
ratherbcamping
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Re: Closing Weekend 2012

Postby ratherbcamping » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 am

The water will not be frozen, so kayaking will be doable. You will want to plan your trips so that you don't have to get out and pull through any shallow water, because it will be quite cold. I would use a spray skirt and something to keep my hands warm!
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:24 am

Welcome to the site Lori!

Looks like you'll be sweating this weekend! Going to be really warm Sunday and Monday.

My cronies have all bailed (other commitments etc) so I'll be missing closing weekend. At least we got to visit last week!

Last time we were there (Columbus Weekend) we decided against the kayaks. Only because of the wind (ok and some rain) and cooler temps. Looks like this Sunday would be a perfect paddling day however!

Be sure to post a report when you get back. Will definitely missing closing weekend.
Sunny campers
Years at Fish Creek: 9
Camping Equipment: travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): John and Lori

Postby Sunny campers » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks for the advice! Kayaks are on the roof, "Sunny" is hooked up and we will be on our way soon :D I also have my snow gear packed for kayaking since I don't have a kayak skirt. Hoping I can get in and out of my kayak better than I did last month...did the splits trying to stay dry when getting out and in I went! Good entertainment for my fellow paddlers :lol:

Farewell, Lori :D
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:27 am

Winter coat works well! We wore ours while paddling at Bon Echo Provincial Park a few weeks ago lol. Wouldn't want to be too far off shore though.

mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Postby mistermatt1984 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:54 am

Dave, That picture is awesome, I googled the park and saw a few of those. I keep joking about moving to Canada. Might stop joking about it someday.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”