Don't Cut Those Trees!

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Don't Cut Those Trees!

Postby CampADK » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Campers up in the 200's section were evicted apparently for cutting live trees. No details. Friends saw 4 forest ranger/DEC vehicles and the campers had to leave the premises.
iloverollins
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Re: Don't Cut Those Trees!

Postby iloverollins » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:29 am

:cry: Hope they didn't do too much damage....poor trees!
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Apparently they had a variety of cutting tools including a electric chainsaw. They were cutting all the trees and brush along the waterfront to improve their view of the water...

Coming back from the Trading Post today I saw 2 young guys in the 90's carrying a wind raved canopy frame down the road. Looking back in my mirror again I saw them running with it into the bushes rather than taking it to the dump station. Sad all the crap that is going on here these days!
humormeplease
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 39+
Camping Equipment: RAM 1500 & Shasta 19'
Your Real Name (optional): John n Susan
Camp Sign Name (optional): Lazy Loon Inn

Postby humormeplease » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Sounds like the park management needs to step it up a bit and crack down. Noticed many vehicles this last week exceeding the park speed limit :( may have to install additional speed bumps/signs or more warnings? Did notice the closed bathroom from the Tear up looked great all freshly painted, kudos to the park staff-nice work!
humormeplease
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 39+
Camping Equipment: RAM 1500 & Shasta 19'
Your Real Name (optional): John n Susan
Camp Sign Name (optional): Lazy Loon Inn

Postby humormeplease » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:54 pm

CampADK wrote:Apparently they had a variety of cutting tools including a electric chainsaw. They were cutting all the trees and brush along the waterfront to improve their view of the water...

Coming back from the Trading Post today I saw 2 young guys in the 90's carrying a wind raved canopy frame down the road. Looking back in my mirror again I saw them running with it into the bushes rather than taking it to the dump station. Sad all the crap that is going on here these days!

Seems trash is traveling further north these days...I sound like an old fart but I have been frequenting FCP since the 80's and never had to lock up our camping gear/trailers like we did this past week. Still won't keep us from attending the Tear up in 2013 woo hoo we'll be there! :teardrop:
Marbel

Postby Marbel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 pm

CampADK wrote:Apparently they had a variety of cutting tools including a electric chainsaw. They were cutting all the trees and brush along the waterfront to improve their view of the water...

What the ...? :shock:
C&S
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Your Real Name (optional): Sylvie & Chris

Postby C&S » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Marbel wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Who does this?!? :shock: :evil:

~sylvie
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:52 am

Bill and I checked out the damage last night. There are new campers on the site so we didn't inspect the shoreline but wow! 212 now has a wide open waterfront.

Here is a shot of 'before' the camper 'clear cut' Site 212
Click for more info!

(from the Campsite Photo Database). This photo was taken in 2007, so you can imagine how much larger the shoreline trees would have been now 5 years later...

We walked across the road and almost got sick seeing a pile of birch cuttings, some about 4-5in in diameter. Nearby was a HUGE pile of pine cuttings about 2.5ft high. All in all almost enough cuttings to fill a small pickup truck! Sad... very sad...

The fine is $300 per cut. Can't imagine how much the fine could have been, or how much the clear cutter was fined.
habsman
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby habsman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:35 am

C&S wrote:
Marbel wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Who does this?!? :shock: :evil:

~sylvie

Standing in water using an electric chainsaw???
Where's Darwin when you need him?
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:37 pm

I am rapidly arriving at the conclusion that the only way to remedy some of this is immediately report any issues to the campground office 24/7. Two good instances just since Dave and Kate arrived: the dog thing and now this.

When we were up in June, a car load of young women was racing through the park. They nearly hit us twice while we were riding our bikes. Paul (the superintendent of FCP) drove by just a couple of minutes later and I waved him down. He caught them! I don't know if he issued them a ticket, but I felt I had done my part.

I urge all of you who truly care about FCP to step up to the plate and report these things while they are still happening. Waiting until morning or the next day or even an hour is not going to work. Staff has to see these fools in the act if at all possible if they are to take care of problems as we'd like them to do.

Once again, the campground office phone number is 518-891-4560. When you call, ask to speak to the superintendent or his assistant. Don't just leave the info with one of the clerks there as it may get lost in the shuffle if they are busy with registrations. If they are not there, insist that someone come to you now.

Steve
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Took a few photos of the damage today. Looks like the clear cutters got as far as clearing out the right side of the shoreline (shrubs and some of the birch tree along with a bunch of the major limbs on the pine at the right side of the shoreline as seen below.

View after the 'clear cutting' on Site 212
Click for more info!

Lots of large branches sawed off on the big pine...

Shrubs along the right side of the shoreline removed at ground level...

Large pile of sawed off limbs from the pine tree and shrubs...

Large branches from the birch tree...

MLV

Postby MLV » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:30 pm

I took a "cue" from Steve and have the FCP Office number stored in my phone to report this kind of crap.

A couple of weeks ago at another State Park we frequent, we got to see what I would call perhaps the greatest case of human stupidity I have ever seen performed by adults....Lighting chinese lanters in the middle of the campground only to get hung up in trees above a few dozen tenters who's children were snuggled inside sleeping. For those who are unfamiliar with the chinese lantern, you ignite a parafin "dish" inside of a wax paper "vessel" which floats up into the air by the hot air produced by the flaming dish of parafin/wax.

I was disgusted no one else in the campground was as disturbed by this as our group was. I spoke my piece, politely from a distance which they most certainly heard. Most of the adults (it was their children sleeping in the tents BTW) applauded and laughed at the lantern burning in the tree approximately 40 feet above finally blew clear from the tree and out of the park. Thank god it wasn't an evergreen!

The very next evening they did it again...same outcome...hung up in the tree! I had enough and walked over to "speak" with them...adrenaline going and very angry. I asked them if they believed this was a good idea? I also reminded them of the prior evenings outcome and how lucky they were it did not ignite they trees above them and their children, let alone endangering everyone else in the park. At this point it came free from the tree and proceeded to float away a hundred feet in the air, out of the park, and toward other woods/farmer's fields, homes, etc.... The reply from the group was that "it will burn out"....I asked if they were aware of the wildfires out west? Again, I was greeted with more moronic answers and comments.

At that point I sought out the park manager who was watching nearby from a pickup truck. He could not see where the incendiary device had come from. I was more than happy to inform him exactly where it had originated and asked that he immediately take care of the matter and that I would be calling it into the State Police. I was especially concerned about the very real possibility of it causing a wildfire elsewhere. Things are very dry, and were are quickly approaching a "no-burn" declaration.

The park manager said I did exactly what he needed. He could not just accuse/confront them without witnesses and someone filing a complaint. This wasn't just some folks "partying' a little too loud, walking their dog to crap in someone elses site and leaving it, throwing dish water in the bushes....this could have proved lethal!

We have to be on the look-out...not only for ourselves, but one another. I like to get to know my neighbors (not at the point of being a "bother" or being too nosy), but if I see someone snooping around their stuff/vehicles, etc...I'll speak up!

Our family is looking forward to our second year of camping at FCP! It definatley has become one of our top camping destinations...and we hope it will continue to be for many years to come! We can't wait for August!!!!!!

Be safe everyone!
iloverollins
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Postby iloverollins » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:22 pm

MLV wrote:I took a "cue" from Steve and have the FCP Office number stored in my phone to report this kind of crap.

A couple of weeks ago at another State Park we frequent, we got to see what I would call perhaps the greatest case of human stupidity I have ever seen performed by adults....Lighting chinese lanters in the middle of the campground only to get hung up in trees above a few dozen tenters who's children were snuggled inside sleeping. For those who are unfamiliar with the chinese lantern, you ignite a parafin "dish" inside of a wax paper "vessel" which floats up into the air by the hot air produced by the flaming dish of parafin/wax.
Be safe everyone!

WOW!!! There was actually a fire in Lake Clear last week and another in Ray Brook http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... l?nav=5008

People need to be extremely careful on how they act and we all need to educate the people who are "campers" so they can be campers. lol. Its so sad to read these posts and see people are being careless.
Callie
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 30+
Camping Equipment: 26' Flagstaff TT

Postby Callie » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 pm

It is pretty hypocritical to have such outrage about cutting limbs off trees when I witnessed a member of this forum doing just that in mid-August of 2009. I guess to some using a limb saw to take some pesky limbs down is not the same as the wholesale clearing mentioned here, but to me it is.
Respectfully, Callie
LtPoopsie
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 31
Camping Equipment: Pop Up
Your Real Name (optional): Mr. & Mrs Pospisil (Bryan and Amber)
Camp Sign Name (optional): Bryan & Amber

Postby LtPoopsie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 am

Callie wrote:It is pretty hypocritical to have such outrage about cutting limbs off trees when I witnessed a member of this forum doing just that in mid-August of 2009. I guess to some using a limb saw to take some pesky limbs down is not the same as the wholesale clearing mentioned here, but to me it is.

I think it is unfair to refer to this whole forum as hypocritical because of one member. I do hope this thread educated that one member. And if you saw that member cutting limbs please take the responsibility to inform the member of why it's not okay to cut live trees, limbs, or brush.

The NEW YORK STATE CONSTITUTION ARTICLE XIV ("Forever Wild" Clause)

In 1894, a state constitutional convention agreed to an amendment to Article XIV of the New York State Constitution that established the “Forever Wild” clause.” This clause protects the state-owned Forest Preserve in the Adirondack Park. It reads, “The lands of the state, now owned or hereafter acquired, constituting the forest preserve as now fixed by law, shall be forever kept as wild forest lands. They shall not be leased, sold or exchanged, or be taken by any corporation, public or private, nor shall the timber thereon be sold, removed, or destroyed

What does this mean? The land and it's natural plant life are more valuable than your view ;)
========================================================================================================
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin~

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”