Any input on Buck Pond Campground?

Post your experiences or questions about other parks in the Adirondacks.
mcearl12

Any input on Buck Pond Campground?

Postby mcearl12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:03 am

Before I happened upon this most excellent website (would that all campgrounds had such a thing!), I reserved a site unseen at Bucks Pond...#9 which I believe (hope, pray) is on the water. I had read that Bucks Pond was a great place to get away from it all, that most of the sites provided good privacy, and that you wouldn't be listening to traffic noises all night long. I was also happy that no motor boats are allowed on the Pond (because I'm a very slow paddler :). But when I mentioned making this reservation to a friend, she said, oh you'd be much happier at Rollins Pond. She hasn't been able to tell me why she thinks that, just said she gives Rollins a 90 vs. a 40 for Buck Pond, and I'm wondering why. It's just my husband and I, so we aren't looking for ice cream truck visits or planned activities for the kids... anyone have any insight on Buck Pond, the campground, the campsites, the campsite water access? Is it just a muckier pond bottom or something? Call me concerned and confused! :)
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: Any input on Buck Pond Campground?

Postby CampADK » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:13 am

Hi, welcome to the site!

Kate and I visited Buck Pond last August and toured most of the roads through the campground. I'll try to post a few of the shots I took which will give you a good idea of what the park is like. Many of the sites have a short road going into them, so they are very private with thick forest between sites. It has a great huge beach area and lots of waterways to explore. We visited on Sun Aug 31st which was the long weekend, and the campground was pretty close to empty. I believe it has about 10 water sites which would represent 9% of the campground.

Rollins does have a lot more character, more interesting landscape and more appealing campsites, most of which are on the water. I would say that Rollins has more options for canoe/kayaking as well. While camping at Rollins you won't see or be anywhere near any of the planned activities. This is a big campground! The ice cream truck drives through once a day, you probably won't even notice it unless your site is close to the road. (Most campers are on the lookout so they won't miss it). Rollins has 229 watersites, representing 80% of the campground.

The only negatives for Rollins are all the hills (good workout for biking mind you!), and the long road in and out of the campground.

Another way to compare the two is to check Reserve America and try to book for July 4th weekend.

Buck Pond: only 25% of sites are booked (30 sites booked out of 112)
Rollins Pond: 89% of sites are booked (225 sites booked out of 287)

I'll post a few photos of Buck Pond later.

Cheers
mcearl12

Postby mcearl12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 am

Thank you so much...I would love to see whatever photographs you have of Buck Pond, just to get a feel for the place!
mcearl12

Postby mcearl12 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:55 am

Anyone else have any input about Buck Pond, or pictures? It's a 6 hour trip for me, or I'd just go check it out myself :)
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:19 am

Here are a selection of shots from Buck Pond. As you can see, it is VERY wooded. The sites remind me of many of the other state campgrounds between Old Forge and Tupper Lake.

Woodsy roadways...

Typical campsites (photos from loop B)...

Comfort station...

A fine beach with mountain views...

Boat launch and dock with access to Lake Kushaqua (you also have access to Buck Pond across the road)...

Lots of waterways accessible from the campground...

mcearl12

Postby mcearl12 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:50 pm

Wow, Dave, thank you so much....that was certainly above and beyond the call of duty, I really appreciate it! It is much more heavily wooded than Rollins, isn't it? That doesn't really bother me; I like privacy...I am a bit concerned in that the sites look like they may be quite a bit smaller (the site we got is actually in Loop A, waterfront on Buck Pond, #9...so I'm hoping it's a bit bigger or more open at least in the direction of the water). Other than that, it looks like a lovely, quiet, place, which is what I think my hubby and I are needing this year!! I'm thinking that once the park opens, I'll call and ask the people at the park if they can tell me what the site is like and then we can decide whether we stick with it or throw that money away and try to get a spot at Rollins.

Thank you again...this is a wonderful resource and you're an angel for taking the time to post all those pictures!!
mbart5fan
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Devote Rollins Pond Camper

Postby mbart5fan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:00 am

We stayed at Site 12
Click for more info!

or 13 (can't remember which) a few years ago and that was about a 100' walk to the water. The lower numbers 1-11 were uphill from us and farther from the water, so not really waterfront sites. Although not many sites are actually on the water it is a very nice campground, probably one of the most remote cg's in the Adirondacks. Buck Pond itself is quite small and can be leisurely paddled in about a half hour. Longer journeys can be had on Lake Kushaqua, Rainbow Lake and (my favorite) North branch Saranac River. I was told by the ranger there to watch the mountain across from the beach at sunset for photo opportunities. It is occasionally highlighted by the setting sun but the evening I was there I had the rare opportunity to catch the full moon rising from behind it.

If your looking for a peaceful campground you can't beat Buck Pond. If a waterfront site is a necessity, Rollins Pond is a great place with lots of paddling opportunities. We try to get to Buck Pond every couple years and Rollins Pond every June.

Mike
mcearl12

Postby mcearl12 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks, Mike, I appreciate the info. I'll probably call when the park opens just to make sure the site we reserved isn't too small (technically, I know it will fit our camper b/c the ReserveAmerica process wouldn't let you reserve that site if your camper was more than 20' ... but that seemed to be the same for most, if not all, sites on Buck Pond when I did a test sampling...but I don't want to be on a very tiny wooded site, esp if it's not really a water site anyway.

I'm looking forward to the adventure of camping someplace we've never been before and everything people have shared has helped me to be a bit less nervous...the beach looks lovely and having the other lake right there should give us as many paddling opportunities as we want (being somewhat old and out of shape, we won't be doing river paddles).

The only other question I forgot to ask is if Buck Pond is 'leechy' for lack of a better word. Not the end of the world if it is, the beach is too nice not to try out but, well, forewarned...is a good thing! :)
alfredalfred
Your Real Name (optional): dgdfgdg

Postby alfredalfred » Wed May 11, 2016 12:22 am

The only negatives for Rollins are all the hills (good workout for biking mind you!), and the long road in and out of the campground.

Return to “Other State / DEC Parks in the Adirondacks”