Limekiln, Nikes, Lewey Lake, Moffitt Beach Trip

Post your experiences or questions about other parks in the Adirondacks.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Limekiln, Nikes, Lewey Lake, Moffitt Beach Trip

Postby CampADK » Wed May 16, 2012 8:08 am

Heading down Old Forge way to meet up with the TearUp bunch this weekend.

Staying at Limekiln for 2 nights so hopefully I'll have enough time to take campsite photos of Limekiln (260 sites) and Nikes (104 sites) over the weekend. We'll be headed likely to Lewey Lake Sunday so I should have enough time to take photos of both Lewey Lake (197 sites) and Moffitt Beach (250 sites).

Additional possibilities include Lake Durant, Point Comfort, Little Sand Point and Popular Point. Any comment on any of these which would be worthwhile destinations of interest?

Unfortunately Northampton Beach will have to wait till another trip.

Will try to stop in to do Lake Eaton (128 sites) as well on the way up to lake Placid. Lake Eaton from what I remember is a great place for the Lakeside camper.

Looks like I have a good chance of doing Meacham and Buck Pond the following week. Weather is looking good!

Time to empty the camera cards...
Len
Camping Equipment: Jayco Qwest pop up
Your Real Name (optional): Len

Re: Limekiln, Nikes, Lewey Lake, Moffitt Beach Trip

Postby Len » Wed May 16, 2012 4:38 pm

WOW.....thats a huge potential list.....none of which I have been to yet so I can't wait to see the updates. This site is definitely turning into the best ADK camping resource there is!!
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Wed May 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Yes it is an ambitious weekend. Attempting photos of 811 sites between Nikes, Limekiln, Moffitt Beach and Lewey Lake. Close to 1,000 if I manage Lake Eaton and Lake Durant. With multiple shots for water sites, that could well yield about 1800-2400 photos altogether.

The other week was 851 sites between Fair Haven and Wellesley Island (1900 photos total). Wellesley was really hard since many (awesome) sites required many shots to get the full 'picture', much like the FCP photos. The easy campground are those that aren't on water... one photo usually suffices.

Based on the Fair Haven/Wellesley blitz, I think Nikes/Limekiln/Moffitt/Lewey is doable, plus I have an extra day and weather looks promising. If anything, its the potential :blackfly: 's that may be the determining factor! :lol:

The bonus would be Lake Eaton on the last day heading up to LP.

At some point (likely the fall) I'm thinking of creating a 'Lakeside Camping (or similar in nature) website. Basically a resource for those of us who 1) love lakeside camping 2) love the adirondacks. Of course the main focus with be ADK State/DEC campgrounds. These would feature the campsite photos, usable campground maps, and other useful features to make it easier for finding/choosing a campground vs what we currently have.

I'll be adding a few select out of state campgrounds as well. New Hampshire has some fantastic options, as does Vermont. On my list this summer are Pawtuckaway and Pillsbury State Parks in NH. Pawtuckaway is a real gem by the looks of it. We'll be there in on our June Roadtrip.
camp james
Your Real Name (optional): Harry & Nancy James

Postby camp james » Wed May 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Lake Eaton has many large rocks at waters edge, bumpy road, but otherwise a great pick. Only one site was great
Lake Durant is very much like Rollins Pond, and close to Museum.
Rollins Fan
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Postby Rollins Fan » Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Meacham has a lot of off water sites, and then the ones you boat or walk to. My first camping was there as an infant, as our family had a large platform tent camp set up just past the last site. About 1965 the state made us leave.
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former camper at Rollins Pond, now own a cabin in the Adirondacks, but Rollins will always be special to us.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue May 22, 2012 10:36 am

We'll done camping for the weekend. Had a blast with the teardrop bunch at Limekiln. Was great weather for the paddlefest! Blackflies were around and biting, but mainly they seemed to be enjoying the women. I manage the weekend in shorts and a t-shirt no problem both at Limekiln and Lewey Lake.

Lots of paddlers were camped at Nikes Lake for the Paddlefest so I decided not to bother attempting a campsite photo shoot of Nikes.

I did however manage to get all sites at Limekiln, Lake Durant and Lewey Lake. A total of 2,350 photos in all.

We really liked both Limekiln and Lewey lake. At least about 20 real nice waterfront campsites at Limekiln and about the same at Lewey Lake.

We even managed to score one of the best sites at Lewey Lake for one night, Site 103
Click for more info!

!

Might get over to Meacham and Buck Pond later this week to do photos before headed to Fish Creek for Memorial weekend.

Return to “Other State / DEC Parks in the Adirondacks”