Back Fromm 2 Weeks at Rollins

General discussions specific to Rollins Pond, neighbouring campground to Fish Creek. Ask a question, share your experiences at Rollins or make suggestions to others.
palmprincipe
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 11 years
Camping Equipment: Pahaque Tent & Screen House
Your Real Name (optional): Richard & Patti

Back Fromm 2 Weeks at Rollins

Postby palmprincipe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 am

Spent 2 glorious weeks at Rollins on Site 110
Click for more info!

. The new "wood/ice woman" had great nicely split hardwood (sorry to see wood is up to $8 per stack). The site was spotless (clean). There seemed to more more staff walking around all day. Bathrooms seemed better maintained. My only gripe is the condition of many of the fire pits. Why do people insist on trying to split wood on the brick and mortal pits? Ours was a total mess with bits of brick and chunks of mortar everywhere, and half destroyed side walls. So were most of the pits near us. The funny thing is that many sites have a nice chopping tree stump on them. I kind of prefer the round metal pits so I hope more of them make it to Rollins. Overall a great time - as always. Can't wait until next year.
Rollins Fan
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Re: Back Fromm 2 Weeks at Rollins

Postby Rollins Fan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Do you have any trouble getting a fire started with the round metal pit? I guess all my fire experience has been with the traditional stone ones. We have had to request a metal rack before, because of the rough sides. I wondered if the round ones get enough airflow. I did find the firewood included some fast burning pine. It seems it used to be mostly hardwood.
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now posting wildlife videos on YouTube as nymcmoo
Other photos posted at http://www.wunderground.com with the handle of mcmoo
If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito.

Return to “Rollins Pond”