newby

General discussions specific to Rollins Pond, neighbouring campground to Fish Creek. Ask a question, share your experiences at Rollins or make suggestions to others.
barrylane

newby

Postby barrylane » Thu May 01, 2014 6:41 pm

I am taking my family along with some
friends to rollins pond this summer . We have stayed at 8th lake campground the previous 4 years and were looking for something different. can anyone give me a little heads up on nice areas and things to do there? Are the sites descent size and what is the best local grocery store ? thanks for your time big B
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: newby

Postby CampADK » Fri May 02, 2014 8:50 am

Hi Barry and welcome!

For site size etc best to check out the sites on the Campsite Guide (1000s of photos as well). See http://fishcreekpond.com/campsiteguide. ... llins+Pond

For groceries see http://fishcreekpond.com/parkstore.php . You can also ask question on the 'Ask Ranger Jill' page at http://fishcreekpond.com/askrj.php . For example just type in 'groceries'.

For things to do, see the 'Things to Do' section on the home page. There is lots of water oriented activities, biking, hiking, various attractions in Tupper Lake (be sure to check out the Wild Center), Saranac Lake and of course Lake Placid!

Lots of shops in Lake Placid. The lake 'Lake Placid' is spectacular (not to be confused with Mirror Lake which is the lake the town of Lake Placid is on). Have lunch at the Cottage on Mirror Lake which has a fantastic view of the high peak mountain range or Moose Lodge which is right on Lake Placid with million dollar view of Whiteface. Lots of Olympic venues to check out. You can even watch them ski jumping off the high towers in the summer! Limitless hiking options too.

The Adirondack Museum about an hour south of Fish Creek is well worth it as well.
mstewart39
Your Real Name (optional): Mike

Re: newby

Postby mstewart39 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:00 pm

barrylane wrote:I am taking my family along with some
friends to rollins pond this summer . We have stayed at 8th lake campground the previous 4 years and were looking for something different. can anyone give me a little heads up on nice areas and things to do there? Are the sites descent size and what is the best local grocery store ? thanks for your time big B

I've been going to Rollins / Fish Creek for probably 30+ years now, and my mom's generation has been going much longer.
For "things to do"....wow. You name it. There are great kayak / canoe trips that you can take from Rollins into Saranac, into the ponds at Fish Creek, all over. There are obviously amazing hikes for any age group. (I've done a lot of the high peaks, and last year we did Mt. Jo so that kids as young as 4 could participate.) I like Ausable Chasm. We typically spend some time going into Lake Placid, Saranac lake, etc.

For groceries, there's a little store / gas station / ice cream truck just outside of the entrance that has the basics. But for real groceries we typically go into Tupper Lake.

I agree that the ADK Museum is something to see, but Tupper has a "Wild" museum that is nice too. It's great for kids.

Really there's anything you could want, it just depends on what you're looking for. It's a beautiful area and Rollins & Fish Creek are great campgrounds.

Return to “Rollins Pond”