May 16-19 Kayaking from Rollins

General discussions specific to Rollins Pond, neighbouring campground to Fish Creek. Ask a question, share your experiences at Rollins or make suggestions to others.
Montreal-Kayak
Years at Fish Creek: 1
Camping Equipment: Tent

May 16-19 Kayaking from Rollins

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:27 am

Hi everyone,

We are planning to camp at Rollins for 3 nights from 16 to 19 May. Our main interest is kayaking but we will probably also do one of the following: Visit the Wild center, hike St-Regis or VIC area.

Are all sites open at Rollins in May ? Any suggestion for specific camp sites (nice view, wind, sunny, bugs (in May ?), easy water access for the kayaks, not to close from road... etc) ?
We only have a large tent + kitchen shelter if weather is bad.

We are planning to do the kayaks launch at Rollins and paddle the Rollins-Floodwood-Fish Creek itinerary.
Does anyone knows what is the carry conditions between Copperas Pond and Whey Pond ? Is it possible to use a wheel-buggy in that trail ? If not, the next best option is probably to drop a bike or a car in the morning at Fish Creek.

Any suggestions regarding camp sites, tips for the kayaks journey or other activities in the area would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Mario and Sylvie
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: May 16-19 Kayaking from Rollins

Postby CampADK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Rollins opens Fri May 16 with all sites up to 64 open.

As of Tues May 20 all sites up to 182 are open.

As of Fri May 23 they show sites up to 156 open. Must be some Reserve America error as it doesn't make sense that they end up closing some sites on the weekend.

As of Fri May 30 all sites at Rollins are open.

Blackflies are worst in Rollins that at Fish Creek. Lot more options to pick a site with a breeze to help save you from the blackfiles at FCP.
Consult the campsite guide for Rollins to check out sites. See http://fishcreekpond.com/campsiteguide. ... llins+Pond

Sites on the pond from 34-38 (Site 34
Click for more info!

, Site 35
Click for more info!

, Site 36
Click for more info!

, Site 37
Click for more info!

, Site 38
Click for more info!

) are pretty nice. Your best bet since only sites up to 64 will be open. Another few: Site 2
Click for more info!

, Site 3
Click for more info!

, Site 4
Click for more info!

, Site 8
Click for more info!

, Site 9
Click for more info!

- deep/more private sites. Site 10
Click for more info!

, Site 11
Click for more info!

, Site 12
Click for more info!

, Site 13
Click for more info!

and Site 14
Click for more info!

have a slope down into the site. Not so good for trailers and more likely to pool rain. Site 14
Click for more info!

has some slope by the road but is nice. Site 16
Click for more info!

is a good choice and has a bathroom right across from it. Site 17
Click for more info!

has a great beach, but some grade by the road. Anyways easiest thing to do is check the campsite guide. Tons of photos and site details (completed up to Site 76
Click for more info!

at this point).
Montreal-Kayak

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks Dave for the details & suggestions regardings camp sites. We'll have a look at the map and make the reservation tonight.

This a by far the most practical interactive (with pictures) campground map I have seen :)

We'll see if Blackflies are as bad as they are in some remote northern area of Quebec - There were already some very small bugs flying over the ice at the Floodwood entrance last week-end. I guess that's what it was - early blackflies !
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Some years they are a nuisance for me, others not so much. My wife says they are always bad in May. :lol:

I spent 3 days May 26/27/28 up in Rollins back in 2010 taking the campsite photos (2,477 to be exact). Now that was butal! I had to always keep moving to keep the blackflies off me. Hard taking photos! lol. It didn't help that it was very hot and I was very sweaty from running up and down site to site down to the water. I swore I'd never camp up in Rollins in May! This year the spring has been pretty late however. I doubt you will have to worry much about blackflies. They usually start mid May in a normal year so you might just find them out, but not biting yet.
Montreal-Kayak

Postby Montreal-Kayak » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:52 am

Reservation done :)

Again, Thanks for your suggestions Dave.

Looks like there will be more campers at the opening of Rollins than last week-end at FCP - Around 50% of the opened sites are already reserved.

Return to “Rollins Pond”