CampADK Trip Report July 14-17- Rollins!

General discussions specific to Rollins Pond, neighbouring campground to Fish Creek. Ask a question, share your experiences at Rollins or make suggestions to others.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 10ft Scotty Custom Cabin Cruiser
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

CampADK Trip Report July 14-17- Rollins!

Postby CampADK » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Hey! Our first trip report from actually camping in Rollins Pond!

First thing to say is we are lovin it!

Site 3
Click for more info!

is pretty decent and private compared to Fish Creek. More wild feel indeed. Don't notice much traffic, yet we are at the start of the campground. RP campers spend a bit more time planning trips out for supplies I figure.

The water temperature is ridicoulsly warm! At least 80F.

The stream out of Rollins into Floodwood is still high and a tad fast moving. Not to much difficulty keeping your kayak off the rocks though in one spot.

Tons of campers out paddling and floating today, a perfect day!

The weather compared to previous weeks is a thousand percent better.

We had a great crescent moon view off our shoreline last night. It descended to just above the horizon later in the evening.

Cheers from RP Site 3.
redrum
Your Real Name (optional): Jim

Re: CampADK Trip Report July 14-17- Rollins!

Postby redrum » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi Dave;

I am happy for you! We just returned home after being at Site 11
Click for more info!

from 7/5 to 7/14. Actually, I thought the weather was fine, typical ADK in you get some sun, some clouds, some rain every day :). It seemed to be getting humid when we left for home

Two things to mention that people comming might want to note -

I would guess that the water level is significantly higher than normal and "beaches" are rare or non existent. I drove a stick into the pond edge to the water level, watched it drop about 2" over 3 days, then after the midnight torrential rain (Wed? Thurs?) the level regained the 2" plus another. So, in alot of cases, sitting in chairs on the beach will be partially submerged, like we did...

Recreation fishing was so-so in RP (we aren't serious fisherman), but had great luck in floodwood near the fallen trees to your left as you enter the pond. We caught and released alot of small to medium size bass and rock bass by casting near the fallen trees (in case someone might be interested)

Jim
Mr_Kyle
Years at Fish Creek: 6
Camping Equipment: Pop Up (Starcraft Starflyer)
Your Real Name (optional): Kyle Howatt

Postby Mr_Kyle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi Dave!

Glad to hear you and Kate are enjoying Rollins. My crew and I will be heading up there on Sunday!! Keep us posted on your trip; would definitely like to be in the know before we go up 8) 8)

Jim-- Thanks for the info. A few of my buddies that come with me (my brother included) are into the fishing, so I will be sure to relay this information to them! We will also be prepared for the small, if any, beaches, although I am not surprised that water levels are still pretty high with all the rain that has been coming through this summer... :?

Cheers!
~Kyle
The Cougars CANADA
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Your Real Name (optional): Karen and Joanna and Jackson

Postby The Cougars CANADA » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:42 am

:D Hi Dave, glad to hear you are enjoying your first stay up at Rp, considering how many times you have been up there taking photo's..I love My FC, but i also live RP, for the fact that there is more buffer between certain sites..Let me know what you think of 23 when you pass by, unless you were able to take some pix of it this time around..and post em before i leave..Enjoy the rest of your stay...When you back up???
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 10ft Scotty Custom Cabin Cruiser
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Ok it was so hit today! Walk the campground and analyzed it to death.

Didn't get that shot I promised Karen, but it shoul be in the mail soon! Lol

Another forum member did tell me all those dite beaches are still underwater though, so there.

I have a bunch of iphone photos that should appear on Fish Creek live.

Sadly we leave for home tomorrow till the end if the month.
redrum
Your Real Name (optional): Jim

Postby redrum » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:25 pm

<snip>Let me know what you think of 23 when you pass by???<snip>

I have notes that I have taken on ranges of sites, and I have "20's - no, except for 23 and 25 which are wider". We like deeper and as much privacy side to side, so I would guess that my notes mean that 23 is not deep, but nicer than the other 20's because it's wider. From my notes I can also conclude it's similar to 25....there are pics of 25, don't know if that helps?
The Cougars CANADA
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Your Real Name (optional): Karen and Joanna and Jackson

Postby The Cougars CANADA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:41 pm

:D Thanks Redrum, i think of The Movie' The Shining' with your Name....lol..I have checked the photo's of neighboring sites..As i mentioned my sister has 23 as her favourite and 25 as her second, in that area...I am pretty sure we will be happy with our decision to switch our sites..Just hoping the water levels go down a bit before we get there..I know a couple of weeks ago it was quite high, i was on 165, but i did have a nice patch of beach, we fit 4 chairs, 2 kayaks and all our blow up water toys..and still had plenty of space..Now we just need the weather to co-operate this time down..I guess i am lucky, cause i have been down a couple of times this yr already, and the summer is still young..I camp way into the fall also..So should be able to get in quite a few more trips, short ones but that's alright with me.. 8)

Return to “Rollins Pond”