June at Rollins?

General discussions specific to Rollins Pond, neighbouring campground to Fish Creek. Ask a question, share your experiences at Rollins or make suggestions to others.
redrum
Your Real Name (optional): Jim

June at Rollins?

Postby redrum » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:45 am

Hi;

I have never camped at Rollins before July, but a bunch of friends and I are considering going mid June for a long weekend because there are alot of adjacent sites available at that time. Are the black flies a problem? One friend say not near the water, but yes, inland. Thoughts from people that have June camped?

Jim
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: June at Rollins?

Postby CampADK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 am

Haven't camped at Rollins but every year at Fish Creek May/June and have been up in Rollins on occasion at the same time.

As a general rule, :blackfly: tend to peter out by mid June. They haven't been bad at all during the TearUp event which is mid June. They can be a nuisance over Memorial Weekend, but not always. Last year we had little to none over Memorial Weekend. What I notice however is that Rollins is always worst off than Fish Creek because the tree cover is thicker, and there is less open water for a breeze to help out. I'd try to get a spot at the end of one of the peninsulas which should help at Rollins.

Some campers seem to attract :blackfly: , even if they aren't around. Others don't notice them much :mrgreen:

At least for late May camping, my 'rule' is to always camp on the windy stretch at Fish Creek for the least bother from :blackfly: . I'd look for similar up in Rollins to improve your chances of keeping your friends happy.

Cheers!
Rollins Fan
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Postby Rollins Fan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:20 pm

I have camped at Rollins the third week of June often. Sometimes the bugs are bad at dusk, usually not too bad during the day, although there have been days I would get out in the kayak where they didn't seem so bad. We have a screen house, and its been nice to escape there sometimes. Really, the windy sites are better. I was on 163 last June, it was very windy, no bugs, but its a small site. That area is windy in general. Hope that helps!
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now posting wildlife videos on YouTube as nymcmoo
Other photos posted at http://www.wunderground.com with the handle of mcmoo
If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito.
Finnman

Postby Finnman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Stayed at Rollins (first ever visit to campground) in mid June last year. No problems at all with blackflies. Much to our camping delight - unlike upper Ontario previous year.
redrum

Postby redrum » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi all;

Sorry for the late "thanks". For some reason I didn't receive an e-mail notification of a reply to my post, so I better check my preferences (or maybe I didn't check the box). Again, thanks for the response!

Jim
Rollins Fan
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Postby Rollins Fan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:12 pm

I recently booked a site at Rollins for June 2014! Nice area, toward the beginning of the campground, after being midway through the campground these past few years. I am thinking maybe it won't be quiet as windy as the beached bays. Its nice to have this to look forward to as we prepare for the months ahead. Darn, it sure gets dark early lately.
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now posting wildlife videos on YouTube as nymcmoo
Other photos posted at http://www.wunderground.com with the handle of mcmoo
If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito.
redrum

Postby redrum » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 am

We have stayed at both Site 11
Click for more info!

and 12, and really loved them. On the plus side - large sites, nice beaches, more sandy than gravely (is that a word?), water access is right from the site, not down a path, closer to the park exit for those store runs. The only minus, the view is not the sunset over the mountains like the middle sites have.

we are off to Cranberry Lake this wed for some fall camping, hoping the leaves are further along than there are here is WNY...

Jim

Return to “Rollins Pond”