Raquette River

For anything not specifically related to Fish Creek or even camping for that matter.
iloverollins
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Raquette River

Postby iloverollins » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 am

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has boated down the Raquette River? Its something I've wanted to do for sometime now, I would kayak from the boat launch on Route 3 (somewhat near the campground) down to to Tupper Lake just to Raquette River Drive, before it dumps into Tupper Lake/Raquette Pond.

I was looking for about how long it would take to do this? I would have someone drop me and my cousin off (maybe other family too if they want to go) and then get picked up.

Do regular boats go down this?

Thanks!
WNYakker
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 2
Camping Equipment: tent, canopy, kayaks
Your Real Name (optional): The Ptaks

Re: Raquette River

Postby WNYakker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:14 pm

I have kayak fished from that launch ramp a few times. It is a really nice and peaceful stretch of river. Not sure how long it would take to paddle from that launch (i believe it is known as "the crusher" on maps) to the lake. You are heading "downstream". Normally, the water is not moving fast at all, but PLEASE check it ahead of time this year. We stopped there Father's Day weekend and there was no way we were going out on that water to try to fish. It was up about 2-3 feet from last year and moving quite rapidly. Almost raging but not quite white water. As you know, they have been getting unusually high amounts of rain up there, so I would have to guess the river is still going to be higher than normal at this point in time.

We are heading up to Rollins 7-20 thru 7-27 so I am planning to stop at the river on the way in to see if it will be a fishing option for the week.

I should also add that normally, you can easily paddle in both directions, so you could paddle to the lake and back. And yes, power boats do use the river and I have only seen 1 so far.

Phil
iloverollins
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Re: Raquette River

Postby iloverollins » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks Phil for the info! I stopped at the boat launch over 4th of July weekend and noticed it was moving really good. I agree that I'll need to check it out before we actually do it. And wear life jackets the whole time. I was thinking of calling the Raquette River Outfitters place to pick their brain about it, they would probably give me solid information since they are right at the end of where I'd want to end my trip.

A few years ago family friends went on it, said it was great they even saw a moose! But they don't usually go camping in the area so they don't know all the details. They went with a group.

Return to “Off Topic”