What town is Fish Creek really in?

For anything not specifically related to Fish Creek or even camping for that matter.
rv4life
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: rv

What town is Fish Creek really in?

Postby rv4life » Thu May 24, 2012 10:17 am

When approching Fish Creek from the south on 30, you see a sign for Santa Clara. When I google that town name, it is 35 miles north of Fish Creek. Is this truly the town Fish Creek is located in? Just curious. I know the mailing address is Saranac Lake.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: What town is Fish Creek really in?

Postby CampADK » Thu May 24, 2012 2:46 pm

It's closest to Lake Clear actually which is a very small town north of Fish Creek on Route 30.
iloverollins
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Postby iloverollins » Thu May 24, 2012 10:04 pm

But don't forget the mailing address is Saranac Lake, NY, just to make everything confusing!
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Thu May 24, 2012 10:26 pm

I say FIsh Creek is 'On Square Pond'.
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Fri May 25, 2012 3:38 pm

rv4life wrote:When approching Fish Creek from the south on 30, you see a sign for Santa Clara. When I google that town name, it is 35 miles north of Fish Creek. Is this truly the town Fish Creek is located in? Just curious. I know the mailing address is Saranac Lake.

Google is a bit off on that. I looked at some online topo maps and all of FCP, all of Floodwood & Little Square Pond, and most of Rollins Pond are all in the town of Santa Clara. The town hall, justice court, and highway barns are just a bit north of Saranac Inn at 5359 State Route 30.

You can view the 1905 & 1955 topos for Fish Creek and surrounds at: http://historical.mytopo.com/quad.cfm?q ... &series=15
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
Rollins Fan
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Postby Rollins Fan » Fri May 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks for letting us know. It didn't just say "heaven"? I post photos on www.wundergound.com and I think sometimes I called it Duane. I probably used a few towns. Keep them guessing.m
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former camper at Rollins Pond, now own a cabin in the Adirondacks, but Rollins will always be special to us.
rv4life
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: rv

Postby rv4life » Thu May 31, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for looking. I know when I asked Mrs. Hickhock several years ago, she said she is the 'mayor' of Santa Clara so I always assumed thats what town Fish Creek was in.
camp james
Your Real Name (optional): Harry & Nancy James

Postby camp james » Thu May 31, 2012 5:50 pm

just confirming, Tupper Lake is in Altamount, Saranac Lake is in Harrietstown and Fish Creek is in Santa Clara, these are townships not towns.
ratherbcamping
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby ratherbcamping » Thu May 31, 2012 6:29 pm

That's not quite true either. In July 2004, Altamont officially changed the town's name to Tupper Lake to avoid confusion with the other Altamont down near Albany. So, you have a VILLAGE of Tupper Lake located in the TOWN of Tupper Lake.
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm

camp james wrote:just confirming, Tupper Lake is in Altamount, Saranac Lake is in Harrietstown and Fish Creek is in Santa Clara, these are townships not towns.

In NYS, townships and towns are pretty much one in the same as far as geopolitical subdivisions are concerned. A lot of folks confuse towns with incorporated villages or cities, too. The old phrase "going to town" originally meant going to a nearby community that had a business district of some sort, and that was usually before it became a village or city. The phrase stuck, even though these days it more commonly refers to going from the countryside or suburbia into a village or city.

Saranac Lake straddles the towns of Harrietstown and North Elba.
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
ratherbcamping
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby ratherbcamping » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:13 am

I agree about towns and townships being pretty much the same. The state divides into counties, then towns, then villages, cities, hamlets, etc. I was the Town of Moira Historian (official title) for over 13 years. Within my town there is the village of Brushton and hamlets of Moira, Alburg, and Irish Corners. I would consider Moira more of a village, but last I knew it is officially still a hamlet. As far as Alburg and Irish Corners, they are simply areas with a few houses clustered together. If you blink your eyes while driving down the road, you'll miss them! Also, Brushton has its own Village Historian. Most of the towns have pretty similar divisions.

I grew up in Picketts Corners, town of Saranac, not to be confused with the Village of Saranac Lake, which many people often shorten to just Saranac. Because Saranac Lake lies in both North Elba and Harrietstown, it lies in both Franklin and Essex Counties.

All probably trivial, unless you're doing genealogy research or looking for vital records!
sodarofamily
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 58
Camping Equipment: trailer- jay feather
Your Real Name (optional): maureen and greg
Camp Sign Name (optional): SodaroADK46er

Postby sodarofamily » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:50 pm

What is the physical address for the GPS? we have peeps from out of town coming
Gail & Steve Collins

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:57 am

sodarofamily wrote:What is the physical address for the GPS? we have peeps from out of town coming

4523 State Route 30, Saranac Lake NY 12983
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

EarthBoundMiss
Your Real Name (optional): Mia M. Halter

Postby EarthBoundMiss » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Gail & Steve Collins wrote:
camp james wrote:just confirming, Tupper Lake is in Altamount, Saranac Lake is in Harrietstown and Fish Creek is in Santa Clara, these are townships not towns.

In NYS, townships and towns are pretty much one in the same as far as geopolitical subdivisions are concerned. A lot of folks confuse towns with incorporated villages or cities, too. The old phrase "going to town" originally meant going to a nearby community that had a business district of some sort, and that was usually before it became a village or city. The phrase stuck, even though these days it more commonly refers to going from the countryside or suburbia into a village or city.

Saranac Lake straddles the towns of Harrietstown and North Elba.

Until I moved to NY 8 years ago I had never dealt with this business of towns -- it is an extra level of goverment delination that is regional and not the exact norm across the nation (I've lived in 13 states, only 2 have this extra layer). Out west where I'm from iproperty either lies in a town (municipal borders apply) or the county (outside the municpal borders). Seems silly and over-kill, but this is how NY does it and frankly I've become use to it so I don't care about it anymore...but when I first moved here I found it confusing. I first moved to Franklin County (from Oregon) and we'd see a sign saying "Town of _______" and we'd start looking for businesses and neigborhoods but there'd be nothing until we'd hit the village. Seems ages ago now.

Return to “Off Topic”