CampADK Trip Report June 30-July 14, 2013

A place to discuss and post photos of your recent camping trips at Fish Creek.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: CampADK Trip Report June 30-July 14, 2013

Postby CampADK » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Boy what a bunch of mixed weather all week! Rain off and on and lots of threatening weather. Enough decent weather however for boaters to get out and enjoy the ponds however.

Lots of empty sites. Some people have opted to go home early because the weather is less than ideal, not sure.

Today however is a big turnover day by the looks of it. Lots of traffic both ways past our site.

We did have a second great night for the campfire again last night however. Two starry nights in a row! Thanks to Doug and Carol for the great campfire!

Today is still a mixed bag of weather. Still haven't spent the day at the underwater yet since the weather always seem to be threatening.

Water temp is about 78F off the end of our dock by the way.

Cheers from rainy/sunny/cloudy/stormy Site 105
Click for more info!

!
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:38 am

Another mixed bag day of weather yesterday yet we had great weather of a campfire here on 105 with friends.

Val's group did a late evening party cruise around Square Pond to entertain the shoreline campers (photo on Fish Creek Live).

One thing everyone is noticing. All the empty sites! Somewhere between 15% and 20% of sites are empty. The least number of campers we have ever seen over The July 4th holiday. Each year the number of empty sites seems to grow. We remember the days not that many years ago that almost every single site would be occupied.

Oh and something we have never heard about that campers should be aware of... The forest rangers passed through the campground looking for various violations. We had a sign hanging on a old nail in a tree. We would never put a nail in a tree ourselves by the way. Apparently if you even use an existing nail to hang anything, the forest rangers consider it your nail and they could fine you $250 for the nail. So besides not putting nails, be sure not to use any existing nails! Better yet take the nail out of the tree. Bungee cords are fine.

The forest rangers also set up a speed trap between the campgrounds. Lots of folks seen flying through the campground.

Today is overcast but the sun is trying to break through. Hopefully we can get out in the boat a bit today.

Cheers from Square Pond Site 105
Click for more info!

CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 am

Another mixed bag day of weather yesterday yet we had great weather of a campfire here on 105 with friends.

Val's group did a late evening party cruise around Square Pond to entertain the shoreline campers (photo on Fish Creek Live).

One thing everyone is noticing. All the empty sites! Somewhere between 15% and 20% of sites are empty. The least number of campers we have ever seen over The July 4th holiday. Each year the number of empty sites seems to grow. We remember the days not that many years ago that almost every single site would be occupied.

Oh and something we have never heard about that campers should be aware of... The forest rangers passed through the campground looking for various violations. We had a sign hanging on a old nail in a tree. We would never put a nail in a tree ourselves by the way. Apparently if you even use an existing nail to hang anything, the forest rangers consider it your nail and they could fine you $250 for the nail. So besides not putting nails, be sure not to use any existing nails! Better yet take the nail out of the tree. Bungee cords are fine.

The forest rangers also set up a speed trap between the campgrounds. Lots of folks seen flying through the campground.

Today is overcast but the sun is trying to break through. Hopefully we can get out in the boat a bit today.

Temperature off the end of our dock is about 78F.

Water levels are still quite high. The docks at Hickoks are still half submerged and the waterways up Fish Creek are high. Faster current up the creek as well. The creek out of Rollins is fast running so you will likely want to use the portage around this area or else you'll end up bouncing off the rocks.

Cheers from Square Pond Site 105
Click for more info!

iloverollins
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Postby iloverollins » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:18 pm

Hi Dave,

I stopped by (with my cousin) on July 4th but Kate said you were out counting water stations or something. I'll be back soon enough and hopefully will catch up with you.

I agree we had some funky weather, Saturday was gorgeous (once the morning rain stopped).

I find that very interesting about the nails & ticketing. I am in the same mantra as you, I will never put a nail in a tree, but I will use it if its already there. I think if the ticket is challeneged, it will be dropped. The forest ranger, I would think would have to abide by the same types of process/practices as a police officer or trooper...so unless he has actually witnessed a person nailing it into the tree, he cannot truly write that ticket. Just my thoughts here...

We over in Rollins did not see much of the DEC Personel after it was dark, normally we see them drive through or walking...only on Saturday night did we see them out. I guess the name of the game is that they keep certain people on their toes while I don't really even think about them being there.

Hopefully this weather straightens out, I'm back up in 12 days!
-Tiffany
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23

Postby mistermatt1984 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:47 pm

I think due to the late holiday this year most came for the 4th much earlier and left Saturday and Sunday. I noticed the rangers weren't patrolling as much before the 4th. I am guessing the Furloughs are cutting some staff. I was a little disappointed to see the back gate was closed at 4pm but, it never really was an issue.

On Friday a young boy almost drowned near Site 10
Click for more info!

. I noticed he was in the ambulance and alert and I hope he is okay. If anyone from his family is on the forum. My well wishes are with your family and I hope he does well with his recovery.

I have a few pictures I can post here if Dave is cool with it from my trip from the 29th-7th.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Actually on the 4th the back gate was open till 8pm.

Yesterday it was open late as well. Looks like there is finally more staff so maybe this is more permanent.

They really need a sign posted somewhere so you know rather than taking a chance.

Post away Matt!
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23

Postby mistermatt1984 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Agreed with posting a sign. The only place I saw was at the back gate on a 8x11 piece of paper.

Maybe put the times the gate is open on the print out on the bathrooms.
iloverollins
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Postby iloverollins » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:43 am

Aw, I hope the kid is ok.

I think it would be helpful to have signage when coming out of the Rollins Road (near campSite 135
Click for more info!

), I like to go out the back way but when I get to that point I have to make the decision, left or right...
Luvthcreek
Your Real Name (optional): Edward

Postby Luvthcreek » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 am

Was on Site 112
Click for more info!

June 10-17 and had cold, heavy rain for 3.5 days! Thank goodness for the 20 by 30 tarp over the pop-up. Still enjoyed the beauty and serenity of the place. Hats off to my wife what a trooper! Hope the trend breaks. The place was always full the first 2 weeks of July??? Nice nighttime picture. Ed
P.S. Book selling well- also at Hickok's.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi Ed!

Yup sure lots of rain but it has been improving leading up to this weekend. Sure quieter in the evening though. Lots of empty sites compared to previous years yet they still have few walkups sites available. Fewer boats too.

Phil ran out of your books last week by the way.

Water levels have been going down slowly. Hickoks still is partly under water though!

We lost part of our shoreline the other day. The extended period of higher water plus boat traffic has been hard on the old sections of the shoreline barrier and one of the big log barriers on our site came out and created quite a hazard. Staff was over quickly however to remove it.

A few cases of non educated campers using weed wackers to 'groom' their sites last week. One in Rollins on Site 36
Click for more info!

and another around 26? . They really need to put up big warners about people doing these sorts of things!
Luvthcreek
Your Real Name (optional): Edward

Postby Luvthcreek » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Dave, shipped 40 books out to Phil 2days ago. Thanks for the info. Ed
Eileen&Gary
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Your Real Name (optional): Eileen Miller

Postby Eileen&Gary » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Just came back from 10 days on 123 , 124 and 125. Let's set aside the not-so-happy things - lots of black flys - A first experience for us at FCP. The change in brands on the ice cream truck was a shock - and a major let-down. The children (and some of the adults) in our group dream of Adirondack Mountain Raspberry all year - and the brand they are selling now is as far away from the previous quality as it gets. The small group nearby who just had to get up and water ski at 7:30 in the morning every day were not greatly adored.

The good news - we were very fortunate in the weather department. One night with a major storm was really the only rough weather. Our last 2 days we saw warmer then we can ever remember at FCP. Each day was more lovely than the day before. We noticed much more staff taking care of the grounds and patrolling the park - and that was welcome. Each night we were treated to someone playing Taps at 10 pm - though I think it was two different people throughout our time there - they were both quite talented and we enjoyed them.

During our time we noticed a virtual battle begin on the Facebook page for FCP over the Yoo-Hoos being annoying. Thankfully, it seems the post disappeared. I can not imagine why anyone would post such a thing. It's an FCP tradition, and never lasts that long. It is more for the children than anything. Some of the commentary was heated and a bit unfriendly and I am glad it was deleted.

Wishing I was not writing this from home. Already counting the days until next time. We hope that everyone has a wonderful summer at FCP.

-Eileen and Gary
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Heated discussion about Yoo Hoos? Lol. Must of missed that one!

Definitely a FCP tradition! Shame on those who didn't like them. We thought they were rather tame this year.

We have to put up ourselves with someone every year blaming the stupid FCP community website as the reason they haven't got a site in 3 years Lol. You can't please everybody that's for sure. It sure isn't the reservation system! Lol

We don't mind the early morning skier. It's great to see her enjoying a mirror surface carving up turns on one ski! Another 4th of July tradition.

We always meet many campers each time and love having such a great circle of camping friends. Hard to best true Fish Creekers!

The weather has definitely improved! Those arriving for mid July are lucky.
Eileen&Gary
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Your Real Name (optional): Eileen Miller

Postby Eileen&Gary » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:31 pm

I am truly glad that post on the Facebook page disappeared - it was foolish to put down a loved long tradition - but many ended up looking bad as the comments got more intense. No one needs or wants that kind of nastiness associated with FCP. The early morning skiier was less loved for the first few days as we adjusted to camp time. I'm all for watching the waterskiers and the kids on the floats being pulled - it's a blast. Just hard to wake up that early for it when camp just begins. We all adjust the FCP scheduled within a few days... and we too love meeting new folks and making new friends.
C&S
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Your Real Name (optional): Sylvie & Chris

Postby C&S » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Yeah that Facebook thread went from a normal exchange of opinions and escalated into a major troll-fest. :shock:

Dave, I find it ridiculous that you would get blamed for someone not being able to book a reservation. How juvenile. Ah well, I'm sure you have more people thankful for this website than whiny complainers!

~sylvie

Return to “Trip Reports”