Which Month is your favorite for camping?

A place to discuss and post photos of your recent camping trips at Fish Creek.
Rollins Fan
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Which Month is your favorite for camping?

Postby Rollins Fan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:00 am

Since I've had a job for many years that doesn't allow me to take time off in August, I don't get to camp then. I generally take a week in June (third week) and a July week. I camp at Rollins. The atmosphere is different during those times. I like June as its quiet, the days are the longest. Most times the water is warm enough, although I have had cool weeks. The weather is always a gamble as far as rain goes. We have gone for a fall weekend, but the days seem so short, and we don't have a generator to run heat. Which time of the season do you like best?
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former camper at Rollins Pond, now own a cabin in the Adirondacks, but Rollins will always be special to us.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: Which Month is your favorite for camping?

Postby CampADK » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 am

All of them!

April is great! No bugs, you don't get all sweaty, there is lots of free wood around and the distance to the gate is shorter! Bathroom is even heated (watch for the wood frogs mind you)! If you're lucky you can even go skiing!

May is great! So many choice site to choose from, quite quiet, no bugs (till the end of the month), fresh spring air abound, and you get to be the first to paddle up Fish Creek! Even features both a long weekend for Americans and Canadians but not on the same weekend!

June is great! Bugs might be burnt off (you never know), it might be sunny (well it might rain too), lots of choice sites with all the campground open, and the ponds are getting quite warm. If you're lucky you might be there for the TearUp!

July/August... we'll you already know what thats like. Great!

September is very... awesome! Still warm, quieter, perfect time to paddle (few boats around too) and the fall colors can't be beat! You do have to give up on the Yoohoo's for the season (expect Thanksgiving/Columbus weekend). Great hiking weather!

October is great! Fall color, perfect paddling season, nice warm campfires at night. You don't have to be too worried about getting all sweaty before heading into the tent for the night. Great hiking weather and you get to carve out pumpkins to celebrate Halloween!

November is cool! Ok it might be more like cold, but what a way to get into the Christmas spirit! Hang some LED lights around your campsite tree and enjoy the crisp mountain air while wrapping the kids presents.

Too many choices, just go whenever life allows you too!

But I'd say during the fall colors would be your best bet outside of prime time.

Cheers!
WNYakker
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 2
Camping Equipment: tent, canopy, kayaks
Your Real Name (optional): The Ptaks

Postby WNYakker » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 am

Question for those in the know....What weekend is the best to come up to Fish Creek to see the full colors of Fall? I've got a couple of extra vacation days and my wife and I were thinking of coming up for an extended weekend and would like to be there to see the beautiful colors.

Also, can sites be reserved or is it walk-up only?

Thanks,

Phil
Marbel

Postby Marbel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Tough to decide my absolute fave but for FCP/Rollins I'll go with August is my fave. September is also wonderful.
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 pm

End of September (the last 2 weeks) is usually the best for fall colors in the Adirondacks.

No need to reserve. Only the first section of sites are available for reservations anyways. Just arrive and you'll have lots of choice sites to choose from, and you don't have to worry about cancelling due to inclement weather.
C&S
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Sylvie & Chris

Postby C&S » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:41 pm

I would absolutely love to see Fish Creek in all of Autumn's glorious colours! Maybe some year we'll do that.. :D

~sylvie
miller112
Your Real Name (optional): Aldis Miller

Postby miller112 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:26 am

Camping is all time favorite activity but I enjoy camping most during winters . Dancing, playing various games near campfire is really fun.

Return to “Trip Reports”