CampADK Trip Report - Post TearUp June 13-20

A place to discuss and post photos of your recent camping trips at Fish Creek.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

CampADK Trip Report - Post TearUp June 13-20

Postby CampADK » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:48 am

Back at Fish Creek post TearUp for 7 days. We had to cancel our NH trip due to Kate fracturing her arm "On Square Pond". So this is her 'rehab' trip lol.

We've had perfect sunshine weather (slightly cool) since we arrived on Wednesday. Its been breezy Wed/Thu but absolute still today. Not many boats (yet) so Square Pond is pretty quiet.

This is our real laid back trip since we didn't bring the boat (next time). Is it time to open the wine? lol

I'll post some photos later.

Cheers from Site 205
Click for more info!

The Cougars CANADA
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Your Real Name (optional): Karen and Joanna and Jackson

Re: CampADK Trip Report - Post TearUp June 13-20

Postby The Cougars CANADA » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 am

:D Hi Dave and Kate...How the heck did she do that???? I do think you need to open up that bottle of Vino, sounds like a good idea...lol...I have ventured out and grabbed a site over 4th july, but at Rollins...I feel like i am betraying my FC....I am coming up with Gerry from the 2nd to the 5th..Site 105
Click for more info!

rollins...I said we will bring the bikes and come visit you, but he said, no,we will drive.. lol...What site are you on???? Hope Kate is ok!!! Tell her hi and hopefully see you both for a rum or vino.....
Rollins Fan
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Postby Rollins Fan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:39 pm

We are heading to Rollins 163 in the morning for a week. I tried to post it on the calendar, but if I said "Rollins", the date got message up. Glitch? Weather looks great!
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former camper at Rollins Pond, now own a cabin in the Adirondacks, but Rollins will always be special to us.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Site 104
Click for more info!

Karen, but not till Sunday the 8th. We hope to get in on the weekend Fri/Sat as a walkup. Could be anywhere! Just look for the silverbullet!

Yet another day of sunshine. Thought more campers would come in on the weekend, but not too many. Its somewhat busy. Maybe 25% full?

We've been having such great weather that I ended up picking up the boat yesterday. Upper Saranac was hopping today!
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 am

Time for a few more updates:

Back gate is now finally open, but only till 4pm. Probably open till the unusal 8pm by the weekend though as the campground will be pretty full (looking at Reserve America).

Haven't seen anymore of the camp site signs being replaced.

Hickoks is finally making the rounds by truck and by water delivering canoes and kayaks.

Ice and wood lady is making the rounds to both Fish Creek and Rollins. She was driving the cotton candy wagon around as well on the weekends.

Campground is only maybe 10% full? Pretty quiet now but it should be full by the weekend.

A pair of loons are often seen out with 2 small chicks. They seem to be hanging around the south pond the most. Have also seen them in the bay by Hickoks.

We head home tomorrow to have Kate's wrist checked out again. We have Site 204
Click for more info!

till Saturday but not sure there is anyway to offer it or give it to someone else. From what I gather, once you arrive you can't change your reservation other than to swap the identical days for another site. You can't cancel any days. Would explain why there are so many vacant sites in prime season yet the campground is 'full' (ie no sites available even to walk-ins).

Cheers from Square Pond Site 205
Click for more info!

cf06adk

Postby cf06adk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:09 pm

10% full on June 19th? I might have to make an unplanned trip next week... lol.
Marbel

Postby Marbel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:44 pm

CampADK wrote:Campground is only maybe 10% full? Pretty quiet now but it should be full by the weekend.

No doubt! It's a long weekend for Quebecers so I expect there to be a lot of French heard at FCP this weekend! Alas, we won't be one of them. We are heading to Charleston Lake for 10 days (Ontario).
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:28 pm

Back home... sadly. Saw lots of fresh, just outta school campers arriving with big motorhomes, rvs, trailers, pulling more trailers, boats etc etc on our way out late yesterday.

A few more updates:

The rest of the shoreline fencing is to be removed by the end of June! Yeah!

The shrubs along the shoreline project will be kept trimmed, so long term we will still have our 'panoramic' views! Yeah!

A new vendor will apparently be making the rounds soon with baked goods, cupcakes and coffee in the afternoon. Would be nice if she was doing this in the morning however and including newspapers! I think the addition of newspapers and a morning delivery would bring even more business! :D
C&S
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Sylvie & Chris

Postby C&S » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:26 pm

CampADK wrote:A new vendor will apparently be making the rounds soon with baked goods, cupcakes and coffee in the afternoon. Would be nice if she was doing this in the morning however and including newspapers! I think the addition of newspapers and a morning delivery would bring even more business! :D

Ooh, a morning baked goods truck would be lovely, wouldn't it? Especially since your wife is mending a broken arm and probably can't be riding around camp on her bike delivering cinnabuns? ;) :lol:

~sylvie
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:29 am

Maybe they will get back the hawking vendors like those of long ago. "Pies, Cakes, Cookies, Donuts, bread, we have fresh honey dip today". There also use to be young boys going from site to site in the morning with newspapers. On a side note, notice the new bakery in Tupper is moving from near the water tower into the building where the original bakery was (most recently a coffee shop). It had a brick oven in there that my grandfather originally built. Probably would be to much to hope they will start making egg bread again.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:35 am

I'd like to hear "warm buns, crisp newspapers and fresh batteries". :lol:
Rollins Fan
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Postby Rollins Fan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:21 pm

We just returned home after a great week at Rollins. It was very empty the first half of the week, and almost full by yesterday. Did see a bald eagle, deer, beaver, turtle, merganser, loon, and ducks, of course. Wonderful weather while we were there. And yes, delivered baked goods, newspaper, and coffee would probably sell. I am so glad I learned how to use a French Press a few years back so we can have wonderful coffee each morning. It went in the canoe this morning and off to the island with the rocks. Calm waters, clear sky, amazing way to start the day.
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former camper at Rollins Pond, now own a cabin in the Adirondacks, but Rollins will always be special to us.
BigDaveyL
Years at Fish Creek: 1
Your Real Name (optional): Dave

Postby BigDaveyL » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 am

Rollins Fan wrote:We just returned home after a great week at Rollins. It was very empty the first half of the week, and almost full by yesterday. Did see a bald eagle, deer, beaver, turtle, merganser, loon, and ducks, of course. Wonderful weather while we were there. And yes, delivered baked goods, newspaper, and coffee would probably sell. I am so glad I learned how to use a French Press a few years back so we can have wonderful coffee each morning. It went in the canoe this morning and off to the island with the rocks. Calm waters, clear sky, amazing way to start the day.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

We'll be heading up to FCP on July 8th for 4 nights and then off to Vermont for 2 nights.

Return to “Trip Reports”