July 8-16 2018

A place to discuss and post photos of your recent camping trips at Fish Creek.
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 47
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

July 8-16 2018

Postby d_s_144 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Well, another banner year in the books! What an amazing week! We arrived on Sunday to sunny, dry and warm FCP, which is an oddity in itself. We quickly set up the gear, installed the dock and launched the boats, all before dinner. The weather was as close to perfect as it gets in the ADKs, with highs in the mid-70's to mid-80's all week! We had a short shower on Tuesday evening (of course, I was in the southern basin of USL so I got wet) and another smattering of drizzle on Saturday morning. THAT WAS IT!!! We spent tons of time in the boats cruising around the ponds and over in USL. We spent a couple of afternoons at the underwater beach (I still think that's a goofy name) and a ton of time fishing and floating around in the boats. It sounds odd, but the weather was so nice, we basically boated and chilled for the entire week, it was truly relaxing and rejuvenating!

A couple items to note:
* Hickoks gas was $4.25. Not bad for high-octane, non-ethanol on the water
* Hickoks is for sale and the asking price is a staggering $1.55 million! Ouch!
* I heard that Donaldsons offered $1.5 mil for the operation, I hope they make it happen.
* Jean Soucy (the wood guy) was intermittent this year. He made a couple special trips in for us, which was greatly appreciated. Sounds like he is on the fence about continuing next year. He spent an hour with us at our site, so we got his number for next year or this fall.
* Katie was consistent with the ice cream truck and the always-needed ice for the coolers.
* Fishing from the dock was fantastic again this year. We landed a bunch of smallmouth between 2-3 pounds, the biggest at 3.1 lbs.
* We met our friends, that we met at FCP a few years ago, again this year. It was great to see Al, Darcy, Zack, Amanda and Super Coop!
* Boat launch etiquette was poor again this year. I assume the culprits are Ci-diots (at least I hope that's the case).
* Dave and Katie were a few sites down from us, but we left them alone this year.

All in all, one for the ages. Thanks again FCP, I love you! See you next summer!

Return to “Trip Reports”