'TAPS' @ 10PM

A place for you to post memories you or your family remember from camping at Fish Creek over the years, as well as any other items of historical nature. Photos would be great too!
Campsite33
Your Real Name (optional): Erika

'TAPS' @ 10PM

Postby Campsite33 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:05 am

Anyone remember the trumpet that played 'TAPS' at 10pm every night in the early-mid 1990's? The boy who played is a good friend of our familys, people that we met at Fish Creek of course.

Well, when he retired, I took over for a couple of years on my flute. Unfortunately, I haven't been to Fish Creek in two years and was wondering if anyone else has taken over?
ratherbcamping
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Re: 'TAPS' @ 10PM

Postby ratherbcamping » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:01 am

When we were there in late July, we could hear taps off in the distance. I really enjoyed it, so I hope the person keeps it up!
C&S
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Sylvie & Chris

Postby C&S » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:39 am

We were there the last week of July this past summer on Site 264
Click for more info!

and there was a gentleman on the lot next to us who played it on what my husband thinks was possibly a baritone horn. He did a pretty good job. :)

~sylvie
The Ormistons
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 41
Camping Equipment: Travel Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Bill Ormiston
Camp Sign Name (optional): The Ormistons

Postby The Ormistons » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:34 pm

We brought our extended family to FC for the first time a few years ago when my nephew was first learning to play the trumpet. One of his favorite songs to play was taps. I tried to get him to play at 10:00 but he was too shy. Someone a few sites down played it but must have had too much to drink because it was awful. Once Micheal heard that he was motiviated to play it right. He did and immediately heard many cheers to support him. He played it each night thereafter to much applause. We were back again this year during the first week of August and Michael played every night at 10:00. He now believes it is his responsibility to play every time we go. He may be the one to take over the tradition, if I can only get his mother to enjoy camping more. :roll: How do you think people would feel about reveille at 7:00 a.m.?
Bill
DOGJAG
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Jan Goble

Postby DOGJAG » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:19 am

I don't remember the taps player in the 90's; however, in the late 1950's, I played taps every night during our stay the last half of August. Pehaps some will remember the makeshift band of a clarinet, trumpet, trombone, and tuba...my high school friends and I from western NY. We ususally camped in the 200's during that stretch of time.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:39 pm

I faintly remember, that plus the various instruments that played taps throughout the years, tuba. trombone, clarinette, French horn and fiddle. Back in those days when they had square dancing on the road in front of the Ampitheater.

Return to “History and Fond Memories”