trouble as a teen!

A place for you to post memories you or your family remember from camping at Fish Creek over the years, as well as any other items of historical nature. Photos would be great too!
sodarofamily
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 58
Camping Equipment: trailer- jay feather
Your Real Name (optional): maureen and greg
Camp Sign Name (optional): SodaroADK46er

trouble as a teen!

Postby sodarofamily » Tue May 27, 2008 8:27 pm

One summer night about 1965, a group of us teens (whose families have been coming at the same time for many years) decided to go for a walk around the lake...well, we walked down one of the roads that was closed with a bar across..we sat on the bar and just started bouncing on it..well we bent it! When we got to our campsites, the rangers were talking with out parents...they knew it was us. We were grounded for the rest of the time...had to stay at the site after 5 pm.
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Re: trouble as a teen!

Postby mistermatt1984 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:49 pm

Lol thats nothing right Kyle! :lol:
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:55 pm

Glad that bar was removed! This summer I took my son for a walk around the ponds at about 10pm. Naturally being dark (and without a flashlight.. oops!) it was a bit tricky keeping on the path as we went past the beach area. I had forgot that there were those barriers (posts) to keep cars off the bike/path as you head out towards route 30. I must say walking straight into a post in the dark is not something I want to do again! Lesson learned... next time I bring that 1.5 million candle power light with me on any late night walks around the ponds. Sure glad I didn't encounter a bar!
humormeplease
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 39+
Camping Equipment: RAM 1500 & Shasta 19'
Your Real Name (optional): John n Susan
Camp Sign Name (optional): Lazy Loon Inn

Postby humormeplease » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:17 am

If you had found a bar maybe a drink would have helped? Image
goodoledayz
Your Real Name (optional): Alex

Postby goodoledayz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 pm

I started camping @ FCP in 1970, the year I was born and went every year until 1987. Sometimes we went in the Fall as well. I can't say enough about how much I loved that place and still tell my wife and two daughters the strories I have of that unique place. I have a story that will sound a bit strange but definately fits under this topic...at least the first part.

So one Summer night, in I'd say 1984, my older brother, nephew and a camping neighbor went walking around the loop at night. There were some people camping in a tent trailer that we could see preparing to put some kids to bed. We thought it'd be fun to throw pine cones at their screen and then run. Well my brother, nephew and friend threw theirs, but being pitch dark I didn't see them do it and turned to give them a signal when we'd all throw at the same time. I was surprised to see them already running. My brother(a champion sprinter) ran straight into the woods and the other two ran in different directions down the road. By the time I turned back to the trailer there were four adults racing out to the road. I dropped to my stomach in some thick brush about 15 yards from the road. They stood there with their lights shinning into the woods but did not see me. I was frozen with terror as one of them barked out their frustrations and what they'd like to do to whoever scared their kids. One said they were going to get the ranger and a child who was closer to me than the others started staring right at me, finally saying "Hey Mommy, isn't that one right there?" I stood up, slipped down, got back up and raced into the woods, adrenaline pounding as I moved faster than it ever seemed I had before. There was no moon on this night and I was racing blind. At first I heard pursuit but the voices faded when BAM! Flat on my back after I ran head first into a tree. I was slightly dazed but I guess my fear took over as i scrambled back to my feet and continued deeper into the woods, this time at a more cautionary pace and with a hand in front of me to detect obstacles. I went through a shallow marshy area and was about 5 yards past it when BAM! I hit the ground again, but this time when I hit the foreign object that knocked me down, it made a grunting sound like an animal and was not as solid as a tree. I strained into the night at the thing that was no less than 4 or 5 feet from me and heard it take a few steps back and breath deeply which made a sound like it was inhaling air through a snotty nose. A chill ran down my spine when I realized this thing was alive. I started thinking it was a large crane as it was definately on two legs but the sound and shape of the head looked like a horse or goat. I slowly backed away, almost in tears at this point, and could see the thing take about maybe 5 to 7 steps from me and then it jumped in the air and flew almost straight up and I could see it better against the sky. If it was a bird it was much, much bigger than a condor. I made my way back to my parents trailer that night and my three other cohorts made it back as well. None of us got caught and we compared our stories of escape. They all laughed at my giant bird/horse story and said I probably had a concussion, but I know to this day what I saw. Last year I saw a picture on some History Channel show about the Jersey Devil and I swear the thing I had seen so many years ago, fit the look of what they showed to a tee! I told my wife, kids and called my brother, whom of course laughed but even at 14 there is no mistaking what I saw. I know this sounds nuts but it really happened!!

Anyways, I miss those days at FCP and hope to make it there again soon. It's been far too long.
Rollins Fan
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Devote Rollins Pond Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 10
Camping Equipment: small travel trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Anne

Postby Rollins Fan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:16 pm

I hadn't heard of a Jersey Devil.. had to go check that out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil
I've never been afraid in the woods.. but then, I haven't had that type of encounter. Do remember hearing the coyottes at night when I was walking to the bathrooms at 2 am.. next year, had the little camper.
ImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former camper at Rollins Pond, now own a cabin in the Adirondacks, but Rollins will always be special to us.

Return to “History and Fond Memories”