How far back can you go?

A place for you to post memories you or your family remember from camping at Fish Creek over the years, as well as any other items of historical nature. Photos would be great too!
Liz Schalk
Your Real Name (optional): Liz

Re: How far back can you go?

Postby Liz Schalk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:13 am

My daughter and her boyfriend just went camping at Rollins Pond this past weekend. We started with my grandparents, then my parents, my sisters and I and now the next generation and I can only hope it continues.

Next year I plan to rent a trailer for a week and spend a wonderful relaxing week at Fish Creek. I grew up at Fish Creek two weeks every summer and have many wonderful memories and family times. When I moved back to NYS about 14 years ago the first vacation I took my daughter on was a week at Fish Creek in a tent.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Here is one for those with fond memories of the way it was. Prior to the flush facilities they had privies at fishcreek. These were replaced with smaller facilities just like the two towards the beach area. Well, the original outhouses still exist and are being used by Donaldson's. There are two I know of being converted to flush and in their camping areas. There are also several more dumped behind their store. Guess it is a prime example of the Adirondack way of use and reuse.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:49 pm

Guess we'll have to go exploring then and find them puppies... just like we did looking for those old cars Steve found :P
kt<3fcp
Your Real Name (optional): katie

Postby kt<3fcp » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:17 am

I, myself am 4th generation in Fish Creek. I think the first generation to start there was also in the '40s.
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Postby mistermatt1984 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:31 pm

I dont go back that far but Ive been going to Fish Creek since 1992.
Gardner
Years at Fish Creek: 75 missed about 6
Camping Equipment: Varied over the years
Your Real Name (optional): Mary Jean Gardner

Postby Gardner » Sat May 09, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi Berly, I out-year you for FC camping ... first year was 1927 at age of two and haven't missed being there more than 7 or 8 years. Even during WW11, with my dad saving gas by walking to work, Mother and we four kids spent summers there and Dad drove up for weekends (Sat PM and Sunday). About 1938 Dad built a platform for our two big tents, located on the creek, not far beyond the bridge. There were about ten families there. We all had so much fun. MJ Gardner
berly0169
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby berly0169 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:20 pm

Mr. Gardner
Wow! I am sure you have some truly amazing stories. I would love it if you would share some with us.
My grandmother, who will be 90 in October, has some great pictures of camping at FCP from the 40's and 50's that I want to share with everyone too.
If the names, Sorel, Lockhart, Hammes or Curtin ring a bell with anyone, let me know.
Ahh, memories - Skiing clowns and santa, climbing the big rock(which, by the way is too close to the road now. Or is that just me being a parent now instead of the eager kid climbing it?), Donaldson's for Sour Dough bread, Hickocks gas for the boat, the blue bus, Nice Ice, Blocks and Cubes and, of course, Yooohooo!
Kim
The Ormistons
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 41
Camping Equipment: Travel Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Bill Ormiston
Camp Sign Name (optional): The Ormistons

Postby The Ormistons » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:15 pm

My grandparents started taking their kids to FC back in 1949 when my dad was 7 and spent two weeks there every summer. My parents continued the tradition with their four boys through the late 70s, early 80s. We'd leave at 7:00 pm on Friday so we could get a low spot in line. Sometimes we had to stay a night in Rollins because FC was full. We started in army surplus tents, moved up to a pop-up, then a 23' Terry. We always had the aluminum rowboat on top of the station wagon and skied behind it with a Sears 10HP motor. Once we got bigger and more involved in sports, my parents sold the Terry. We still have the boat but not the motor. When we did make it back, we returned to tenting it.

Before we were married in 1992, my wife and I took several trips to FC. (That was the real test to see if she was the one for me...if she didn't like Fisk Creek...) We now have four kids and make it up about every other year. My dad and stepmother join us as do many our family members. He goes in style with a 38' coach and we have a 21' expandable trailer (which gets smaller ever year) and a 19' bowrider. Many others join us with tents, even those who swore they were not campers. They changed their minds once they got to Fish Creek. We were there with 27 people this year during the first week in August and my dad enjoyed his 60th FC anniversary.

Bill
leoandmares
Your Real Name (optional): Les & Marilyn Blatchford

Postby leoandmares » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:06 am

Hi Folks -
What a great website - can't believe I just found it today! We have been camping at Fish Creek & Rollins since the summer of 1969; and trust us, it's just as great now as ever! (And how many things can you say that about!) It has been "cottage" country to our kids, our golden retrievers and now our grandchildren, and we've introduced it to many of our friends. We have seen rain, thunderstorms, a few snowflakes and several hard frosts - even a few bright and sunny days! We started in a 9' x 9' tourist tent, and upgraded over the years to our current 25' Prowler. We've camped as early as April 26, and as late as October 31; encountered all the bugs, birds, animals and great campers that you can imagine; and we can't say we've ever seen a better campground!

leoandmares
Jo Lester
Years at Fish Creek: 14
Camping Equipment: popup trailer
Camp Sign Name (optional): The Lesters

Postby Jo Lester » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:20 am

Hi All! Wow, can't believe I found this website! We camped Fish Creek in the 50's and 60's and 70's starting with a 1958 Nimrod that had a screened in room my dad built. Later we got a Frolic 20'. We were from Long Island then Syracuse and hung our sign out by the road and it had a picture of Long Island on it. Anyone remember the Lesters? Mildred, Doug, Barbara and Jo? Or possibly the Dunn's in a tent, the Reinerts in a Coleman popup, or the Stebbins? I remember a boy named Serge from Cananda and the Wheelers that lived up there and some others. Since I live in the Rockies now, I camp here, but nothing is as fun a Fish Creek! The bears, the fishing, waterskiing, canoeing, swimming, us kids had full run of the campground and parents did not even think twice about that. We'd ride our bikes around the lake all the time. There used to be an unused campsite between Rollins Pond and Fish Creek, on the right side of the road if you were heading towards Rollins. That's where Big Foot live! There was also a blind bear, they painted his face yellow to identify him. I've got to get some pictures scanned.

I just joined the site just now, I hope they have an email function so if any of my old friends read this they can contact me. Reen, this is fun isn't it?

Jo
humormeplease
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 39+
Camping Equipment: RAM 1500 & Shasta 19'
Your Real Name (optional): John n Susan
Camp Sign Name (optional): Lazy Loon Inn

Postby humormeplease » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:50 am

Jo Lester wrote:Hi All! Wow, can't believe I found this website! We camped Fish Creek in the 50's and 60's and 70's starting with a 1958 Nimrod that had a screened in room my dad built. Later we got a Frolic 20'. We were from Long Island then Syracuse and hung our sign out by the road and it had a picture of Long Island on it. Anyone remember the Lesters? Mildred, Doug, Barbara and Jo? Or possibly the Dunn's in a tent, the Reinerts in a Coleman popup, or the Stebbins? I remember a boy named Serge from Cananda and the Wheelers that lived up there and some others. Since I live in the Rockies now, I camp here, but nothing is as fun a Fish Creek! The bears, the fishing, waterskiing, canoeing, swimming, us kids had full run of the campground and parents did not even think twice about that. We'd ride our bikes around the lake all the time. There used to be an unused campsite between Rollins Pond and Fish Creek, on the right side of the road if you were heading towards Rollins. That's where Big Foot live! There was also a blind bear, they painted his face yellow to identify him. I've got to get some pictures scanned.

I just joined the site just now, I hope they have an email function so if any of my old friends read this they can contact me. Reen, this is fun isn't it?

Jo

Welcome!
Don M
Your Real Name (optional): Don M

Postby Don M » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:00 pm

My experience with FCP/RP only goes back to 1972, before the rear gate, showers and "A" sites at RP. I remember Betty and Joe the boat folks and the "old" Ranger Cabin and Booth right across from the boat launch. I can also recall the sailboat races. There was also a family that stayed in RP that held a large spaghetti dinner every year. I spent many summers in the '70s and early 80's there. We stopped going there in the mid 80's, and I have only been back there one time in '92. Just a quick side note, The camp is dear to me because for those who remember Park Ranger Harold and Mae Beckmann, they were my grandparents.
CampADK
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Welcome to the site Don!

We're you grandparents park rangers to RP or Fish Creek (I believe you mean RP). What years was that? I'm always interested in accumulating some historical memories for the historical section of the site. See http://www.fishcreekpond.com/history.html

Where the sailboat races to Fish Creek or RP? I'd think Fish Creek would have been the better choice. First time I have heard of sailboat races there anyways. I believe Randy would have something to say about ski boat parasailing though ha ha.

Love to see any photos you might have as well!
greg340
Years at Fish Creek: 40
Your Real Name (optional): greg manish

Postby greg340 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 pm

the original poster is my brother. our grandfather was a ranger for both camp grounds. he started out in the lower cabin then when they moved the booth he moved to the cabin up the hill. the caretaker house at the entrance was built for him. He was there from the early 70's until the late 80's . I have a few pics to scan
Last edited by greg340 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg340
Years at Fish Creek: 40
Your Real Name (optional): greg manish

Postby greg340 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Here is a pic of Harold from around 1973
Attachments
scan0002.jpg
scan0002.jpg (242.06 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (203.97 KiB) Viewed 6998 times

Return to “History and Fond Memories”