Discussion Forum App??

New features or changes specific to this website will be posted here.
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Discussion Forum App??

Postby mistermatt1984 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:14 am

Dave,

Is this achievable? Or a mobile version of the discussion board on iOS or android?
With android they have an app builder if you are familiar with java. I don't have the time now
I could mess around over the summer on the android one unless someone else here can do it?
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: Discussion Forum App??

Postby CampADK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:51 am

There are likely mods for the phpbb forum software to format in simple text form for mobile devices, which I might get to at some point. I still have to upgrade the forum to phpbb 3 sometime. The site is already very time consuming so I have a lot of projects/ideas on the back burner! :mrgreen:

I designing the new toolkit by the way, to run on mobile devices, although as web based, not as an app since the time requirements would be ginormous, especially to program for different devices. Makes more sense to have it compatible with all devices not just one, especially considering we are a very small community. The forums and toolkit work great on the iPad which I see as more the future than just small phones. The only current issue is with the map navigator due to some limitation in photo size I believe on the iPad since the map is huge the way I have it implemented. I'll fix that at some point. iPad2 was just announced yesterday. Apple is just phenomenal and are set to replace a whole lotta PC's as folks catch on! ... oops thats another topic! :lol:
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby mistermatt1984 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 pm

I agree with the devices issue. I commonly use my droid incredible though if I am going tonpost on a discussion. Kind of like I would if I was camping at fish creek. The rest of the site I wouldn't see a reason to make mobile compatible. The site is just too big for easy discussion posting via smartphone. I haven't tried my iPad on the site.
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby mistermatt1984 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:22 am

Since I have xcode for Mac, which is the app program. I am going to try to see what I can build. Might take a while but it's something I want to learn.
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper

Postby mistermatt1984 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:22 am

I am hoping to have something together by July. It will be extremely basic to link to the main sections for the forum. I am not sure how intense functionality will be but will go from there. Dave, I may shoot you some emails. The main purpose of this is to just kinda save some navigation time to get to posts because of the poor cell service in the area. Will see how this goes, it may never make it to fruition.

Return to “Website Announcements”