CampADK FCP To Acadia Road Trip 2010

Post your comments, experiences or recommendations for other great places to vacation, camp or paddle.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

CampADK FCP To Acadia Road Trip 2010

Postby CampADK » Sat May 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Kate and I have finally finalized plans on our 2 week trip starting from Fish Creek, out to Acadia National Park on the coast of Maine in June. Its been fun planning so far, mainly choosing a route, campgrounds, campsites of course and finally booking everything. Lots more to plan as far as activities go, but here is where we are all. Other than Camden Hills SP (2 nights) , we'll be camping smake lake side or ocean side each night during the whole trip. Lots of kayaking, hiking, shop visiting, and of course lots of photo/movie taking!

1 night at Ricker Pond SP, 2 nights at Long Island Bridge CG (Lake Winnipesakee), 2 nights at Camden Hill SP (Maine coast), 2 nights at Moorings Oceanfront RV Resort (Maine coast), 3 nights at the Bar Harbour KOA (Maine coast), 2 nights at Umbagog SP Park, 1 night at Brighton SP, 1 night at Fish Creek then home.

We even managed to snag one of the best ocean front spots on the Maine Coast for a few nights!

(the site right under the tree looking out at the sailboat).

We hope to re-enact the scene from On Golden Pond in Purgatory Cove over on Squaw Lake (just north of Lake Winnipesaukee) as long as weather permits. We'll be using kayaks rather than a fine Chris Craft however, and will skip the boat sinking scene :lol:

If there are any particular things/events/etc you think we might want to check out that are along our route, let us know.
Al Les Palace
FCP TearUp Camper
FCP TearUp Camper
Your Real Name (optional): Leslie and Alan (OH)

Re: CampADK FCP To Acadia Road Trip 2010

Postby Al Les Palace » Sat May 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Dave and Kate

Interesting... are you leaving right from the Tearup for Maine?

We are planning a similar trip basically recreating our honeymoon trip of 35 years ago and many vacations with our kids as they were growing up.

Our itinerary:

Approx June 13-14 (freelance, not booked) Au Sable Point campground-this will be our new DEC campground for this year I think we have about 2/3 of them now. Will kayak in the marsh and attempt a bit of Lake Champlain coast if the winds are favorable.

Approx. June 15-16 (not booked) Camp in Natl Forest campgrounds in Evans Notch on NH-ME border. Want to climb Caribou Mt where we backpacked 35 years ago.

June 17-18 - TBD - slack for rain dates, exploring, etc.

June 19-24 (reserved) Mt Desert campground, Mt Desert ME Place where we camped many years as a couple and with our kids as they grew up Great kayaking on Somes Sound in relatively protected waters- we canoed there with kids and a dog. May try to kayak near Bar Harbor, but depends on winds and tides. Also, kayaking on some of the inland lakes of Acadia NP

June 25 - July 1 (reserved) Blackwoods campground in Acadia NP Just a short walk through woods to Ocean Drive. Bike riding on carriage paths.

July 2-5 (reserved) Camden Hills SP Probably a zoo for the fourth. Great tourist town to walk around. Will check on kayaking or maybe some sort of commercial sailboat ride

July 6-11 (reserved) Sebago Lake SP Never been there but heard nothing but great things. Supposedly hardest ME SP to get reservations, but we booked a site within sight of the water a couple of weeks ago. Maine parks do keep a bunch of sites unreserved for walkups.

Maybe we will cross paths.

PS The beautiful Maine coast campgrounds on the ocean look a bit different if you hit them during a 3 or 4 day rainy, drizzle period with the "horizontal" fog
Alan & Leslie
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sat May 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Al/Leslie!

Wow we should definitely cross paths! We are at Camden Hills June 17-19 (2 nights), Moorings Oceanfront June 19-21 (2 nights) and Bar Harbour KOA June 21-24 (3 nights). We were planning on kayaking on one or more of, I believe the 4 or 5 inland lakes. Not sure about the ocean in 12ft kayaks lol. I thought Mt Desert and Blackwoods was tent only? Can you take your teardrop there? Kate wanted to be spoiled with hookups for some of this trip, so I picked an ocean edge site at the KOA there with full hookups.

I had looked at Sebago early this year, but we already had to stops heading to Acadia from Fish Creek. Have you been to Umbagog SP before?

Thought of riding on the carriage path on Mt Desert but not sure how our smaller fold up bike wheels will do (20" wheels). We can always rent mt bikes if need be.

Plan to hike Mount Megunticook at Camden Hills and Cadillac Mtn in Acadia.

Don't have a lot of extra time so no extra days to deal with rain. We have rain jackets and just deal with what we get.

So looks like you are on Mt Desert Island the same 3 days we are there! Nice co-incidence! We'll have to chat some more about it at the TearUp.

Cheers!
Al Les Palace
FCP TearUp Camper
FCP TearUp Camper

Postby Al Les Palace » Sun May 02, 2010 10:14 am

Never been to Umbagog. Looks like it is a newer park opening in the 90's. We did camp at Rangely Lakes SP and Lily Bay SP on Moosehead lake decades ago. Same general area?

I remember seeing the name on a road sign last year as we were driving across Rt 2 to turn down to Pinkam Notch north of Conway. Camped a few nights there and then on to a couple of April Verch (sans Mark!) concerts in SE Maine and Boothbay Harbor on the coast. Our three nights at Boothbay quickly reminded us of the fog/drizzle. The coast takes on a completely different (still fantastic) view from sunny days. That was as far as we got into ME last year, but it really fired us up to go further for old times sake.

Actually Acadia NP was our vacation destination for about two decades - working years, shorter vacations. Acadia is still probably our favorite place, although the Adirondacks seemed to have replaced it probably because we became more focused on paddling. The hiking is fantastic because for minimal effort almost every trail climbs a peak with fantastic water views on 4 sides.

Looks like we will be at Mt Desert Campground which I think is just down the road a few miles from the KOA when you will be there?? Blackwoods CG has RV and tent loops. The reservations are not site specific, but we do have a trailer site. No hookups though. Showers used to be outside the CG - privately owned.

We have never finished a hike at Camden in three or four tries - chased off the peaks by thunderstorms! Maybe this year?

Here's a link with a paddling overview of Acadia
http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?1869

Got to go now to get back to our boatbuilding. We are building new kayaks - been in the retirement plans for 3 years. Gave up our usual spring trip South.

Talk more at the Tearup. We have a couple of paddling books which might help
Alan & Leslie
Al Les Palace
FCP TearUp Camper
FCP TearUp Camper

Postby Al Les Palace » Sun May 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks to Dave and Kate at the CampADK travel agency/campground advisory board, we just tentatively filled our two slack days heading to Acadia with two days at Umbagog. We can then give you a live report at Acadia.

Still leave FCP for two nights at Ausable Point, then two nights at Umbagog before the planned two nights in Evans Notch just south of Gilead, ME. Looks like it works out great and is within our desired 200 mi/day travel limit.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/5-y7krhAj19GMC (hope this works!)

Just resting between bouts of intensive planing of the shear clamps (boards which will fit the deck curvature) on the sides of the kayaks.
Alan & Leslie
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Sun May 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Tom and Mary told us about your kayak building. Sounds like a great project for those with the skills! Look forward to see them at the TearUp.

Did you book your site at Umbagog? You'll be there mid week so might be able to get one of the few right on water sites.
Al Les Palace
FCP TearUp Camper
FCP TearUp Camper

Postby Al Les Palace » Mon May 03, 2010 9:24 pm

Not sure about "skills" yet. Think we are developing some. Most carpentry we have done around the house involved right angles - not curved surfaces.

Thanks for the question. We didn't book Umbagog. Reserve America wont let us reserve a trailer site until the 18th - says they are walkup only due to construction? Not sure I want to camp if it is going to be noisy with equipment or whatever. Tent sites and backcountry sites are available.

We will either wing in and check out the place or maybe skip it. Plan B could be Rangely Lakes in ME. Camped there a night or two in the 80's. I kind of remember the sites being up a hill above the lake.

Plan B route: http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-X6wwFPBn3oIZdnm39SrW

Anyway, we're booked from Acadia on and like a little freedom in the off season
Alan & Leslie

Return to “Camper Travels”