Moreau Lake State Park

Post your comments, experiences or recommendations for other great places to vacation, camp or paddle.
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 47
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Moreau Lake State Park

Postby d_s_144 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Moreau Lake State Park is located at Exit 17 of NY I-87 in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Make no mistake, this park is nothing like FCP. NONE of the sites are on the water. There are, however a few cabins that can be rented that are on the water and afford some very nice camping options. The sites, on average, are smaller. There is a sufficient number of water spiggots. The bathrooms are almost all new, and they house the showers in each building, rather than one large shower building. This park is significantly smaller than FCP and the sites are arranged in loops with about 30 sites per loop, or so. The lake DOES NOT allow motor boats of any kind, strictly a paddlers area. The fishing is decent, there are bass and panfish in the shallows and there is a nice foothold of Rainbows in the deeper haunts of the lake. There are no hook-ups of any kind on any of the sites. There is a large picnic area on the opposite side of the lake from the campsites that is used by throngs of people almost all summer (that's where the beach is located). There is a small 'store' by the picnic/beach area, but it is only open when the beach is open. The town of South Glens Falls is right outside the park and offers all of the shopping, restaurants, food, supplies, fuel, bars, etc one could ask for. It's a quiet campground and is one of the first State Parks to open for camping (I believe it opens in late April). If you just want to get out of the house and pitch your tent or open the awning on your small camper, this place would be great. If you would like a week-long experience on par with FCP, well...go to FCP, because this isn't that. But, where else is like FCP?
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: Moreau Lake State Park

Postby CampADK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 pm

Great review! We have camped there 3 times in recent years ourselves. Love the atmosphere and the beach is really nice. Great woodsy feel. Close to Saratoga Springs as well!

For anyone interested I have over 1200 photos of all the sites at Moreau as well as the beach area.

Visit http://www.campadk.com/campsitephotos/c ... oreau+Lake

Return to “Camper Travels”