Maiden Voyage

Post your comments, experiences or recommendations for other great places to vacation, camp or paddle.
Tim Mudge
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 50
Camping Equipment: "Ultra" Mini pop up

Maiden Voyage

Postby Tim Mudge » Thu May 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Headed to Frisco Woods Campground [ Hatteras Island N.C } this Memoral Day weekend ! This is the first trip out with the New Timeout camper. { http://www.wikco.com/timeout.html } . Roughly a 300 mile round trip, New wheel bearings, re-wired
Tail & brake lights so it's all systems go. After a couple trips I should learn what not to forget ! Space is limited so only
the " real " important stuff gets to go. Motorcycle is running well, fresh oil change and all other fluids changed also. That's the easy stuff,
the hard part to plan for is the darn weather. You think FCP was weather swings, you should see our Coastal Mother Nature mood swings.
One place 45 mph winds and dark then 2 miles down the road, sunny, warm, slight breeze, go figure. . . . Will update trip upon my return
Cheers, Until we met again
Tim Mudge
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 50
Camping Equipment: "Ultra" Mini pop up

Re: Maiden Voyage

Postby Tim Mudge » Tue May 31, 2011 2:06 pm

First trip out was a complete success! Trailer "trailed" well, Motorcycle "cycled" well, weather was made to order, Sunny, Hot, but not humid.
Frisco Woods Campground is on the Pamlico Sound on North Carolina’s Outer Banks. { OBX } It is about 150 miles south of Norfolk Va. on Hatteras Island.
It has Water & Elec. hook up sites, small in size compared to FCP, & Primitive sites scattered around {squeezed in where they could fit them}. I had to
Go back to the office and change sites because my equipment would not fit! They " hooked me up " with a sound front site at no additional cost!
The roadways in the campsite are a combination of SAND with a shell and dirt combo mix, not the most motorcycle friendly, but yet still functional.
We took the free ferry ride to Ocracoke Island on Sunday. { See the tale of the Pirate, Black beard from your history books } A nice little island town,
Hint, gas up, etc. before leaving the mainland, as everything is " just a bit more expensive " than what your used to. If ya'll are ever down this way,
I highly recommend Frisco Woods Campground [ thefriscowoodscampground.com ] the staff is great, the sunsets outstanding, very peaceful, and if I
may, I would rate it a 3.2 on Dave's scale.

Frisco Woods Campground
53124 Highway 12
PO Box 159
Frisco , NC 27936
ph: (252) 995-5208
Last edited by Tim Mudge on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Until we met again
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Re: Maiden Voyage

Postby kkirsch » Tue May 31, 2011 4:06 pm

Have seen that and wonder how it was. Thanks for the posting. Should get a land sailer for your next trip. Head south on Ocracoke towards the lighthouse. When you are in the national park that beachfront is nice hard sand. You can't use motorized vehicles there but you can land sail it and with a good easterly wind, it won't make much of a difference.

Return to “Camper Travels”