CampADK's Finger Lakes May 2011 'Blog'

Post your comments, experiences or recommendations for other great places to vacation, camp or paddle.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

CampADK's Finger Lakes May 2011 'Blog'

Postby CampADK » Thu May 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Heading out tomorrow for 11 days around the Finger Lakes. We have a basic plan, but we're sort of winging it lol.

We'll be at Sampson State Park for 2 or 3 nights with a bunch of the teardrop gang, then likely over to Letchworth for 2 nights, Keuka for 3 and 2 somewhere else... maybe Taughannock Falls SP? not sure. Unfortunately Watkins Glen won't be open until the 20th I believe... whats with that? Then on to Fish Creek for Memorial week.

Anyways I have a list wineries and such.. somewhere.. man we are so disorganized for this one ha ha.

If you want us to check something out, or take a photo of some campground yada yada yada, let me know. We'll even eat ice cream for you if you want!

I'll be posting anything we find interesting here, along with photos in this thread.

Cheers
Gail & Steve Collins
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
FCP Curator & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 66
Camping Equipment: 36' Cougar fiver
Camp Sign Name (optional): Gail & Steve Collins

Re: CampADK's Finger Lakes May 2011 'Blog'

Postby Gail & Steve Collins » Thu May 12, 2011 8:18 pm

While you are at Letchworth (or on your way to or from), go to Avon on Routes 5+20 and stop at Tom Wahl's. Order whatever burger suits your fancy and some fries. Top it off with their frost mug root beer which they make themselves. If you have room, go back to the ice cream counter and have whatever works for you. tomwahls.com

They have a cruise night for classic cars and hot rods, but I can't find the schedule right now.

Oh yeah, free wifi, too!

steve
Happy Camping!

Gail & Steve

'11 Cougar 326MKS, '12 Ford F250 Super Duty, '11 Grand Cherokee, '68 Sea Sprite, 2 bikes, and 1 Abby dawg
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks Steve. Suggestions noted!

Just checked the weather... 10 days of rain in the Finger Lakes... ugh.... well I guess at least the winerys can't be rained out. Better be sunshine at FCP then!
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Fri May 13, 2011 10:30 am

If you get near Canasaraga (On the road to Swain ski area) be sure to stop at Wilsons meat Market (look for the old airplane skeleton north side of the road). Pick up a couple steaks there for dinner and some sweet sausage for breakfast the next day. It is pricey but a real treat.

For Wineries just drive south / north along any of the lakes you will be near (Cayuga), (Seneca), (Keuka) and hit everyone you see along the way. The smaller wineries are more instructional the bigger tend to be more entertaining. Check out the Fingerlakes web page to see if there is any specials along the way. Be sure to stop at Bully Hill (west side of Keuka near Hammondport). If you get to Ithaca you need to stop at Purity, not only do they make their own ice cream but use locally made root beer as well. They however make amazing sundaes. Stop at the boathouse for a meal then there for the meal after that.

To get a taste of Watkins Glen other than the race track stop at Stoney brook (second Dansville exit heading south on 390, take a right, it will be along that road about a mile) there is a nice trail there along the cascades. Definitly worth the side trip if you like waterfalls.

See ya on Memorial weekend. The kids and I will be tenting on Site 60
Click for more info!

but also will be at FC starting this evening for Paul Smiths graduation.
mistermatt1984
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 23
Camping Equipment: Tent

Postby mistermatt1984 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Some of our favorite wineries are Dr. Franks, Bully Hill is okay but they are more quanity than quality. Hosimer Winery, Torrey Ridge, Earle Estates. Wagner, Goosewatch, Americana.

If I chose 3 of them for you to go too. I'd say Dr.Franks, Torrey Ridge, and Americana.
Americana is just up the road from Taughanock. So it'd be a good stop. Also, try Bellweather Hard Cider.

If you stay at Taughanock, stay away from the 40's. Very Small sites. If I recall like 33-37 are pretty good.
rv4life
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 19
Camping Equipment: rv

Postby rv4life » Sat May 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Be sure to check out Tom Wahls and get a picture with the Bronze Bear statue fountain in Geneseo. You will pass my street going from Avon to Geneseo. If you are here on the weekend or a weekday in the evening, I can give you a tour of Geneseo. :D
Cory

Postby Cory » Sun May 15, 2011 11:03 am

Oh I hope you're having a great time, we also live down here...off the same exit as Letchworth down 63! The rain down here has been horrendous we had weeks of it before it let up and now it seems to be back again. I'd like to second the notion that you visit Stony Brook for at least a hike, it's not a far drive at all and it's very nice.
Callie
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 30+
Camping Equipment: 26' Flagstaff TT

Postby Callie » Sun May 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Tom Wahls is a definite stop.... must go to the one in Avon.

We just returned from Keuke State Part today ... if you are there or near there on a Saturday, check out the Windmill located between Keuka and Seneca lakes. It is a flea market-ish conglomeration of little shops, stalls, etc, 200 in all. Interesting and delicious food choices, Amish/Mennonite crafts and baked goods -- all kinds of stuff.

Any of the wineries would be good to go to. We like Heron Hill and Bully Hill on the west side of Keuka....can't really go wrong with any of them.
Respectfully, Callie
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon May 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Wow it's day 4 and I haven't posted anything yet lol.

Been too busy with the teardrop bunch at Sampson State Park, trying out a load of wineries and dealing with a lot of rain. Today we headed over to Letchworth and what do you know. Rain has let up and we managed to snag the best site in the park, Site 117
Click for more info!

. I'll post a photo later. Kate sitting by the campfire which looks out over the Gorge at a waterfall on the other side. Pretty sweet! Might stay here for 3 nights, then over to Keuka and/or Taughohony Falls (speelo)

I have a bunch of fun shots from the wineries as well to post a bit later.

Cheers
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon May 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Backtracking a bit, we headed down to Sampson State Park to campout with a bunch of teardrop friends at Sampson State Park for the weekend. We arrived at Sampson about 5pm on Friday, after visiting Swedish Hill Winery on the way to pick up a bottle of Kate's favorite wine. We all camped in Section 5 which is the closest to the lake. A decent amount of trees would provide adequate share oin a sunny day. All sites had electric! Sites weren't bad, but not exactly level. The photo below shows the typical layout of the campground areas. I took a bunch of most sections for anyone interested. We ended up with the smallest site it seems! Thankfully we didn't have much more than a sprinkle of rain so the 20 or so other campers in our group enjoyed a fine campfire at Sampson, then rested up for the next days wine tour.

On Saturday we all decided to hit the Amish Market and several wineries just north of Sampson. The Amish Market was pretty much a waste of time. On the winery list, we visited 6:

Cayuga Ridge: Big barn setting with some great Rieslings (it was Riesling Week). Highlight was the copper oven pizza which was memorable. Throughout the day we noticed lots of buses and stretched limos which dumped out swarms of college kids who bought bottles of wine and drank them straight out of the bottle. Looked more like frat parties at times lol.

The Thirsty Owl: Neighbour to Cayuga Ridge. Excellent waterfront location, great wines. Hightlight here was our wine guy who probably drank twice what we did during our tasting. He was a riot.

CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Next up was the group of 4 at 3 Brothers Winery. 3 wineries and one brewery. This was an 'interesting' stop. Fun place indeed, although the wines and beer were only so so. These included: Stony Lonsesome Estates, War Horse Brewery, Bagg Dare Wine Co and Vineyard and Wine Barn. For $10 you were given a passport for samples at all four buildings. 3 of the places were pretty good and we had a great time. Interestingly the Code of Conduct here included refusal to serve individuals due to:

1. drunkenness
2. damage to winery property
3. theft
4. rude language
5. threatening or aggressive behavior
6. exposure :lol:

I have never seen a code of conduct at a winery before. Must get pretty rowdy in season!

The gals at Stony Lonesome promoted there winery as 'upscale'. We would tend to disagree. Wines were so so, and served in those small short plastic glasses! Nothing memorable here, and staff weren't too exciting and lack any sort of personality.

The most memorable thing at Stony Lonesome was the views out the window...

On to War Horse Brewery. Here We sample 4 beers including a root beer. I wasn't particularly fond of the beers but the place was pretty nice inside.

CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon May 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Next up at 3 Brothers was Bagg Dare Wine Co. VERY sweet tastings. Nothing we would likely buy, BUT this place was the most interesting by far. I spent more time taking photos here while Kate and the rest of our gang did the sampling. Just a few shots to give you an idea what this place is like...

They had some 'interesting' names for wines...

CampADK

Postby CampADK » Mon May 16, 2011 9:44 pm

The last on the list at 3 Brothers was Vineyard & WIne Barn. VERY sweets wines, fun place... at least we made it that way.

Not sure what Kate was drinking here!

Later that night we had 3 big campfires going in our group. Thankfully the rain held off till later in the evening...

Sampson is a pretty big park. Lots of open spaces, and large lawn areas (former military base). The kids play area at the 'beach' is HUGE! Really big spot for picnickers I suppose. Its a big lake, so the beach wasn't much of a beach. Not my favorite campground, but great for its proximity to the wineries. We'll catch some more of them in the area later in the week when we head to Keuka and/or Taughhoney Falls.

Yesterday we spend much of the day at the Outlets in Waterloo. Spent most of our cash at the Columbia outlet. Lots of great deals!

Today we headed over to Letchworth for likely 3 nights. We managed to snag Site 117
Click for more info!

which is pretty much the only site that is right on the gorge. We have a great view of one of the smaller waterfalls right from our campfire!

Overall the campsites at Letchworth aren't all that exiting. Most of the sites are really wet at this time of the year as well. The location is the real attraction here! We'll have fun exploring over the next few days. Lots of photo ops I'm sure.

Cheers
Thats it for now.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Tue May 17, 2011 9:23 am

Be sure to get some grape pie ( warm with chocolate ice cream on top)
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue May 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Amazing amount of water coming down Letchworth today. The lower section is completely flooded. For now, here is a shot of Kate at Middle Falls...

Return to “Camper Travels”