Idea for bike trail at FCP/Rollins

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
Marbel
Devote Rollins Pond Camper

Idea for bike trail at FCP/Rollins

Postby Marbel » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:12 pm

You know, one thing that is lacking at FCP/Rollins is a dedicated bike path. I really don't like taking the kids riding around FCP. I got to thinking ... you know the railroad track that follows the western side of Rollins and goes up to Floodwood road? That isn't in use, right? We've never heard any trains. That would make a great bike path. Algonquin park has a great bike trail on an old railroad bed. I think it would be great for FCP/Rollins to have the same thing. There would just need to be an access path from Rollins. What do you think?
iloverollins
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Re: Idea for bike trail at FCP/Rollins

Postby iloverollins » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Ever since DEC made the paved bike/walking path linking the two ends of FCP together it has been something I have really liked. At that same time they did a bike path around FCP but they did not pave it they just threw down stone. So, needless to say no one uses it. It would fairly easy for DEC to pave the path they have in place. I enjoy looking at everyone's sites/set-ups/signs/etc as I bike by. I'd just like to point out to you that the Railroad tracks have been part of a restoration process over the past, maybe 10 years...that stretch is supposed to be part of the "Scenic Railroad" (ex/Saranac to Lake Placid). Besides that being that, People have their camps/homes/etc near the RR and probably wouldn't want oogoogling me riding by and sticking notes in saying "If you ever want to sell, call me first..." haha...but something should be done...it all comes down to cost. :)
Marbel

Postby Marbel » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:35 pm

iloverollins wrote:Besides that being that, People have their camps/homes/etc near the RR and probably wouldn't want oogoogling me riding by and sticking notes in saying "If you ever want to sell, call me first..." haha...

LOL!!!
Marbel

Postby Marbel » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:36 pm

iloverollins wrote:At that same time they did a bike path around FCP but they did not pave it they just threw down stone. So, needless to say no one uses it.

I must be blind. Where is this unpaved path?
iloverollins
Years at Fish Creek: 30
Camping Equipment: Tent
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Postby iloverollins » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:36 pm

It is all around FCP. When you come in the main gate it sort of runs behind those first few campsites...but if you go through out FCP you should see it. At one point it is touching the road. Somewhere in between Site 133
Click for more info!

and the end. I know that is real helpful but that's all I have to go on, heehee. I camp at Rollins and have those sites memorized. Don't forget about the fun you could have on the Otter Hollow Loop! "They" say you can bike on it, but I wouldn't.
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:10 pm

That train track that borders Rollins and Floodwood is the property of the Adirondack Railroad company and is currently being fixed up for use. If you ever stop at the Lumberjack in Tupper lake (Faust) you will see the brand new train depot. Ultimately their plan is to reconnect from Old Forge to Lake Placid plus on to Utica where the main line is. It should be some scenic trip. I still remember the track in use back in the 1960s. Wonder if they plan on rebuilding the roundhouse turntable in Lake Placid?
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:41 am

There use to be a Floodwood station and is where that Outfitters place is now. We use to have friends that went home (Poughkeepsie) to work several times and used the train leaving the wife and kids to camp. Before Rollins was extended there was a dirt road and a small bridge that would get you from Fishcreek to the station. I am not sure what the plans are now but they could be contacted through their web site at http://www.adirondackrr.com/ or email Train@AdirondackRR.com. There was a push to get a steam engine but think the DEC nixed that due to it being a fire hazzard. My last memory of the station before the conversion was that there was an old Model T touring car parked next to it. Wonder what happened to that car? On a side topic did anyone see the model T woody at the Trading post? All they needed was to tow an Oldtown row boat with a knucklebuster on the stern and it would have been perfect. I got a tour of the stone boathouse a couple years ago and the upstairs was from that era as well.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”