Site 3?

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
Wolfpup1
Camping Equipment: 2018 wolfpup 16bhs

Site 3?

Postby Wolfpup1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi all! New to this site and this year will also be my first trip to FCP! :D this website is amazing, just wondering if anybody has been near Site 3
Click for more info!

lately? I have it in August and was wondering about boat access there. I have an older mastercraft inboard ski boat and was wondering how deep the water there is (on average I know it changes) for mooring and or beaching on that site is possible. I’m very excited to visit there I hear so many great things, I have spent much time at lewey lake and moffit beach over my life time and finally talked my friends and family into the trip to fish creek. Looking forward to the trip (also doing nicks lake in July!).
Thanks for any info you can provide
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: Site 3?

Postby CampADK » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:51 pm

I’ll boat over and check the depth a bit later (I’m on 207 right now). Cheers!
Wolfpup1

Postby Wolfpup1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Awesome, thank you! I really appreciate it. It’s great to find a “community” that’s helpful
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Water is approx 3ft deep 25ft from shore. Bottom is a bit mucky after 10feet or so. Small step down from shoreline.
Wolfpup1

Postby Wolfpup1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:48 pm

Great info, thanks! Sounds like I shouldn’t have to much problem mooring out. I will plan on bringing my boat.
cf06adk
Years at Fish Creek: 24
Camping Equipment: Tent, Screenhouse, Boat

Postby cf06adk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 am

You'll be fine.

I usually do bow-out, one anchor off the bow and a shore stake off the stern.
Wolfpup1

Postby Wolfpup1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:37 pm

cf06adk wrote:You'll be fine.

I usually do bow-out, one anchor off the bow and a shore stake off the stern.

Cf06adk,
Exactly what I was thinking, I have an anchor buddy system but I have yet to use it. This is the first time I’ve been able to bring my ski boat with me (extra person with a truck coming) . Usually I’m stuck throwing my jon boat on my ladder rack and a 6hp motor, and that little thing seems to get in everywhere. Thanks for the reply!
cf06adk
Years at Fish Creek: 24
Camping Equipment: Tent, Screenhouse, Boat

Postby cf06adk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:41 pm

The ultimate setup would be having your own portable dock. I've seen people do it but I have no idea how much of a hassle it is to set one up.

I think campadk has one, maybe he can share what he does for his setup.
CampADK

Postby CampADK » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 pm

My dock project can be found at http://www.fishcreekpond.com/dockproject.php . I have tweaked it over the years to make it easier to transport and lightened it a bit with permanently installed fence boards instead of deck board sections and added and addition an additional triangle section for our hanging chair. The frame is aluminum. Light enough that I can still do it myself no problem at 60. Probably good for another 10 plus years! Largest section is maybe 60 pounds. No hammering posts or lifting anything heavy into the water. Adapts to varying depths of water. 6 bolts to connect all the sections, that’s it. Easy to setup with one person. Takes me maybe an hour to setup the dock plus another 45 min or so to add the hanging chair, flag pole, umbrella and lighting system. Total length out is 28ft. Perfect for an 18ft boat. I do need to add some updates to the dock project page as I have done a few things in the last few years.

My friend makes his dock out of wood and posts that he has to use a sledge hammer to pound into the bottom. He setup his dock yesterday and ended up flat on his back due to back pain after he was done. Way to much work in my opinion. If you can afford it, an aluminum frame dock is the way to go if you have means to transport it. Dockmaster is the only one that I have seen that has a good design that works for Fish Creek that is light weight.

If I redid mine, I’d have made it maybe 21” wide open instead of 24” and maybe a bit lighter frame material.
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 49
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Postby d_s_144 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:21 pm

We bring a 4-piece, 32' wooden dock for our two boats. It's bulky and heavy, that's for sure. We also use 2x4 posts at both ends and at each section connection. Like Dave mentioned, the posts are a doozy, but we have a custom post pounder that fits over them. It's still quite the beating. Once we finish and get the boats docked, though, we generally forget about the pain and anguish. Solar lights on each post add a bit of safety and some ambience.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”