Preferred firewood vendor?

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
RugerRedhawk

Preferred firewood vendor?

Postby RugerRedhawk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:41 pm

We will be staying Aug 20-24, could anyone share their favorite firewood vendor? Nothing worse than buying wet green wood for $8 a bundle. Thanks in advance. I found some info on this site, but the info all looked to be a few years old so I thought I'd seek out anyone who had recent luck.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Re: Preferred firewood vendor?

Postby CampADK » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Jean is still making the rounds this year, but only about twice a week (wed and sat he said recently) but he is not consistent. $9 for an overflowing rack. Missed reports on Johns wood at the bottom of the hill leaving Tupper on the way to Fish Creek. Various options from the north if you are coming that way. The park still sells good wood in the bag for $9 as well as the Trading Post ($8 or $9). If you need lots of wood, consider John in Tupper or head to McColmns 15-20min north (lot is on the left heading north).
RugerRedhawk

Postby RugerRedhawk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks for the tips!
iloverollins19
Your Real Name (optional): Tiffany

Postby iloverollins19 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi-

We got a 'row' of hardwood from John in Tupper for $30 the week of July 30th. It was not seasoned. My husband split it into smaller pieces just so that it would burn. It was disappointing. Oh well! I think the demand is so high he has a hard time keeping up with it. I don't think it has a chance to season before people are buying it.

We would bring it from home but there is the 'do not move more than a 50 mile radius rule/law so we honor it.
Karyn
Your Real Name (optional): Karyn

Postby Karyn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Katie Hall 518 891 5879
Hptreatsllc@hotmail.com
She sells hard wood by the face cord always dry. We order when we reserve our site and she has it all stacked. You have to pick it up but it’s not far. You can contact her
I think she is now also selling half face cords
RugerRedhawk

Postby RugerRedhawk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:37 pm

iloverollins19 wrote:Hi-

We got a 'row' of hardwood from John in Tupper for $30 the week of July 30th. It was not seasoned. My husband split it into smaller pieces just so that it would burn. It was disappointing. Oh well! I think the demand is so high he has a hard time keeping up with it. I don't think it has a chance to season before people are buying it.

We would bring it from home but there is the 'do not move more than a 50 mile radius rule/law so we honor it.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was afraid of and always ran into when buying from any of the roadside places in the ADK in the past. A lot of wet, green wood. End up splitting it into tiny pieces and stacking it all around the fire pit hoping to dry it out as I work my way through some of it. Guess there's always kiln dried stuff, it's just expensive.
RugerRedhawk

Postby RugerRedhawk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Karyn wrote:Katie Hall 518 891 5879
Hptreatsllc@hotmail.com
She sells hard wood by the face cord always dry. We order when we reserve our site and she has it all stacked. You have to pick it up but it’s not far. You can contact her
I think she is now also selling half face cords

Thanks!.... but she says they're all sold out of firewood currently!
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 47
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Postby d_s_144 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Jean Soucy
518-304-3977

He's the gentleman who drives through the campground. Good luck!
RugerRedhawk

Postby RugerRedhawk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Ended up getting good dry pine from place on the corner across from the cone cabin on the way to saranac. Also bought one bunlde from the trading Post. Squares at the roadside stand were $5 a piece, burned fast but hot. Similar stuff from trading Post. Birch and pine, $6.50 plus tax for smaller bundles, nice and dry.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”