Lake trout fishing in Upper Saranac...

General discussion about Fish Creek Pond. Ask a question, share your camping experience or make suggestions to others.
d_s_144
Years at Fish Creek: 47
Camping Equipment: My trusty tent and my 21 foot Nitro 288 Sport
Your Real Name (optional): Derek Gross

Lake trout fishing in Upper Saranac...

Postby d_s_144 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi all:

We're heading up next Sunday and I am determined to catch one of the lake trout in Saranac. Although I am an avid fisherman, I have never targeted Lakers. No down riggers, but I have some divers that should get down deep enough... I hope. Any valuable insight out there? I would certainly appreciate it! We'll be on Site 220
Click for more info!

if you want to tell (lies) fish stories! Thank you!
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Re: Lake trout fishing in Upper Saranac...

Postby kkirsch » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:56 am

You may want to try lead or wire line to get down deep. However, it all depends on lake temps on where they are hanging as well as boat traffic. If you have a fish finder watch for both bait fish and schools of lakers. I find that they tend to sit where there are large changes in depth, which you find on the north end just past where the lake opens to where the Inn use to be or along ridges on the narrows to chapel island run. Sometimes lake clear wobblers followed by live bait fish, sometimes christmas trees. Have tried stick baits on dipseys without luck but heard others have had luck. Also heard people using worms and egg sacks following wobblers.
d_s_144

Postby d_s_144 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks! I am running lead core right now. Not really a fan because of the line drag in the water, but without a line counter reel, the colors make it much easier to determine bait depth based on length of line out vs boat speed. I still think I am going to switch to braid before I head up next weekend. I have bottom bouncers, dipsys and jet-divers. I will persevere this year darn it! I'll throw it all and see what sticks. I've done well in Champlain, but wow, I suck at Upper Saranac. Not this year!

Thanks for your input! Stop by if you're at FC between July 8-15. Take care.
CampADK
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Site Admin & Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 15
Camping Equipment: 13ft Scotty 1976 Cabin Cruiser Reno
Your Real Name (optional): Dave & Kate McGrath
Camp Sign Name (optional): CAMPADK

Postby CampADK » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Guy has been walking by our site with a few 12" small bass yesterday. Just tossing in his line around Site 112
Click for more info!

! Easy peesy! Lol
d_s_144

Postby d_s_144 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:42 am

Yeah, the bass fishing has been pretty good around the entire campground. We routinely catch smallmouth between 2 and 3 pounds from our dock. We usually keep one for breakfast, and all the rest go back to get bigger and make more. The secret lure for the bigger boys in FC is the Chug Bug, but don't tell my camping partners I told you, they'll be very upset. I've figured out a bunch of good spots for bass in Saranac, and I have been having a great time trolling for pike the last 5 years or so. The lures I use are bigger than some of the fish we catch, but when you hook a big one, it's is totally worth the wait. Still, the Lakers elude me, but I am ending that horrible streak this year! Actually, I'll start this weekend. The 8th can't get here soon enough!
kkirsch
Devote FCP Camper
Devote FCP Camper
Years at Fish Creek: 60
Camping Equipment: Expandible Trailer
Your Real Name (optional): Kevin P Kirsch
Camp Sign Name (optional): Kirsch

Postby kkirsch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:17 am

The main thing is the spot for lakers. There is a ridge to deep water off of doctor's island, or the straight by Chapel. I have also spotted fish a the drop off at the narrows from Saranac Inn. Bass fishing has been really good this year. Picked up an 7 8 pounder smally off of Saranac inn weed bed and get 1 to 2 pounders off the various rocky areas. Also evening fishing with surface plugs has been good.

Return to “Fish Creek Pond”